Notice to Our Patients Regarding a Stolen Briefcase. Learn More
Find a Doctor
Cancer Focus: Hodgkin Lymphoma , Leukemia , Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma
Dr. Sameh Gaballa is an Assistant Member in the Moffitt Cancer Center Department of Malignant Hematology. Dr. Gaballa earned his MD from Aims Shams University in Cairo, Egypt. He completed an Internal Medicine Residency and a Hematology and Medical Oncology Fellowship at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He then completed a Stem Cell Transplantation and Cellular Therapy Fellowship at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center. Dr. Gaballa previously practiced in the Thomas Jefferson University, Division of Hematologic Malignancies and Blood and Marrow Transplantation. Dr. Gaballa’s clinical interests are treating patients with lymphoid malignancies, including Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, Hodgkin’s lymphoma, and chronic lymphocytic leukemia. He is also interested in incorporating novel approaches such as chimeric antigen receptor T-cell therapy. His research focuses on developing novel targeted agents for treating patients with indolent (slow growing) lymphomas such as follicular lymphoma, marginal zone lymphoma and lymphoplasmacytic lymphomas.
Education & Training
- Svoboda J, Bair SM, Landsburg DJ, Nasta SD, Nagle SJ, Barta SK, Khan N, Filicko-O'Hara J, Gaballa S, Strelec L, Chong E, Mitnick S, Waite TS, King C, Ballard H, Youngman M, Gerson J, Plastaras JP, Maity A, Bogusz AM, Hung SS, Nakamura H, Nejati R, Steidl C, Lim M, Ruella M, Schuster SJ. Brentuximab vedotin in combination with rituximab, cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, and prednisone as frontline treatment for patients with CD30-positive B-cell lymphomas. Haematologica. 2020 May. Pubmedid: 32414850.
- Grosso D, Leiby B, Carabasi M, Filicko-O'Hara J, Gaballa S, O'Hara W, Wagner JL, Flomenberg N. The Presence of a CMV Immunodominant Allele in the Recipient Is Associated With Increased Survival in CMV Positive Patients Undergoing Haploidentical Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation. Front Oncol. 2019 Sep.9:888. Pubmedid: 31608225. Pmcid: PMC6758597.
- Casulo C, Friedberg JW, Ahn KW, Flowers C, DiGilio A, Smith SM, Ahmed S, Inwards D, Aljurf M, Chen AI, Choe H, Cohen J, Copelan E, Farooq U, Fenske TS, Freytes C, Gaballa S, Ganguly S, Jethava Y, Kamble RT, Kenkre VP, Lazarus H, Lazaryan A, Olsson RF, Rezvani AR, Rizzieri D, Seo S, Shah GL, Shah N, Solh M, Sureda A, William B, Cumpston A, Zelenetz AD, Link BK, Hamadani M. Autologous Transplantation in Follicular Lymphoma with Early Therapy Failure: A National LymphoCare Study and Center for International Blood and Marrow Transplant Research Analysis. Biol Blood Marrow Tr. 2018 Jun.24(6):1163-1171. Pubmedid: 29242111. Pmcid: PMC5993598.
- Ciurea SO, Shah MV, Saliba RM, Gaballa S, Kongtim P, Rondon G, Chen J, Wallis W, Cao K, Konopleva M, Daver N, Cortes J, Ravandi F, Alousi A, Ahmed S, Popat U, Parmar S, Bashir Q, Betul O, Hosing C, Shpall EJ, Rezvani K, Khouri IF, Kebriaei P, Champlin RE. Haploidentical Transplantation for Older Patients with Acute Myeloid Leukemia and Myelodysplastic Syndrome. Biol Blood Marrow Tr. 2018 Jun.24(6):1232-1236. Pubmedid: 28918304. Pmcid: PMC7172017.
- Sato R, Jacob J, Gaballa S. Rapid flare of immune thrombocytopenia after stopping ibrutinib in a patient with chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Leuk Lymphoma. 2018 Jul.59(7):1738-1741. Pubmedid: 29081253.
- McCurdy SR, Zhang MJ, St Martin A, Al Malki MM, Bashey A, Gaballa S, Keesler DA, Hamadani M, Norkin M, Perales MA, Reshef R, Rocha V, Romee R, Solh M, Urbano-Ispizua A, Waller EK, Fuchs EJ, Eapen M. Effect of donor characteristics on haploidentical transplantation with posttransplantation cyclophosphamide. Blood Adv. 2018 Feb.2(3):299-307. Pubmedid: 29440002. Pmcid: PMC5812334.
- Bashey A, Zhang MJ, McCurdy SR, St Martin A, Argall T, Anasetti C, Ciurea SO, Fasan O, Gaballa S, Hamadani M, Munshi P, Al Malki MM, Nakamura R, O'Donnell PV, Perales MA, Raj K, Romee R, Rowley S, Rocha V, Salit RB, Solh M, Soiffer RJ, Fuchs EJ, Eapen M. Mobilized Peripheral Blood Stem Cells Versus Unstimulated Bone Marrow As a Graft Source for T-Cell-Replete Haploidentical Donor Transplantation Using Post-Transplant Cyclophosphamide. J Clin Oncol. 2017 Sep.35(26):3002-3009. Pubmedid: 28644773. Pmcid: PMC5590802.
- Rhoades R, Gaballa S. The Role of B Cell Targeting in Chronic Graft-Versus-Host Disease. Biomedicines. 2017 Oct.5(4). Pubmedid: 29039818. Pmcid: PMC5744085.
- Geethakumari PR, Leiby B, Nair R, Alpdogan SO, Carabasi M, Filicko-O'Hara J, Gaballa S, Kasner M, Klumpp T, Martinez-Outschoorn U, Palmisiano N, Wagner JL, Porcu P, Flomenberg N, Grosso D. Higher rates of relapse in maternal recipients of haploidentical hematopoietic stem cell transplantation from adult offspring donors for AML and myelodysplastic syndrome. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2017 Oct.52(10):1465-1467. Pubmedid: 28759027.
- Brammer JE, Saliba RM, Jorgensen JL, Ledesma C, Gaballa S, Poon M, Maziarz RT, Champlin RE, Hosing C, Kebriaei P. Multi-center analysis of the effect of T-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia subtype and minimal residual disease on allogeneic stem cell transplantation outcomes. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2017 Jan.52(1):20-27. Pubmedid: 27618682.
- Gaballa S, Saliba R, Oran B, Brammer JE, Chen J, Rondon G, Alousi AM, Kebriaei P, Marin D, Popat UR, Andersson BS, Shpall EJ, Jabbour E, Daver N, Andreeff M, Ravandi F, Cortes J, Patel K, Champlin RE, Ciurea SO. Relapse risk and survival in patients with FLT3 mutated acute myeloid leukemia undergoing stem cell transplantation. Am J Hematol. 2017 Apr.92(4):331-337. Pubmedid: 28052408. Pmcid: PMC5352512.
- Grosso D, Johnson E, Colombe B, Alpdogan O, Carabasi M, Filicko-O'Hara J, Gaballa S, Kasner M, Klumpp T, Martinez-Outschoorn U, Wagner JL, Weiss M, Wang Z, Flomenberg N. Acquired uniparental disomy in chromosome 6p as a feature of relapse after T-cell replete haploidentical hematopoietic stem cell transplantation using cyclophosphamide tolerization. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2017 Apr.52(4):615-619. Pubmedid: 28067885.
- Gaballa S, Saliba RM, Srour S, Lu G, Brammer JE, Shah N, Bashir Q, Patel K, Bock F, Parmar S, Hosing C, Popat U, Delgado R, Rondon G, Shah JJ, Manasanch EE, Orlowski RZ, Champlin R, Qazilbash MH. Outcomes in patients with multiple myeloma with TP53 deletion after autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplant. Am J Hematol. 2016 Oct.91(10):E442-E447. Pubmedid: 27420405. Pmcid: PMC5031524.
- Hassanein M, Almahayni MH, Ahmed SO, Gaballa S, El Fakih R. FLT3 Inhibitors for Treating Acute Myeloid Leukemia. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk. 2016 Oct.16(10):543-549. Pubmedid: 27450971.
- Gaballa S, Ge I, El Fakih R, Brammer JE, Kongtim P, Tomuleasa C, Wang SA, Lee D, Petropoulos D, Cao K, Rondon G, Chen J, Hammerstrom A, Lombardi L, Alatrash G, Korbling M, Oran B, Kebriaei P, Ahmed S, Shah N, Rezvani K, Marin D, Bashir Q, Alousi A, Nieto Y, Qazilbash M, Hosing C, Popat U, Shpall EJ, Khouri I, Champlin RE, Ciurea SO. Results of a 2-arm, phase 2 clinical trial using post-transplantation cyclophosphamide for the prevention of graft-versus-host disease in haploidentical donor and mismatched unrelated donor hematopoietic stem cell transplantation. Cancer. 2016 Nov.122(21):3316-3326. Pubmedid: 27404668. Pmcid: PMC5459484.
- Brammer JE, Khouri I, Gaballa S, Anderlini P, Tomuleasa C, Ahmed S, Ledesma C, Hosing C, Champlin RE, Ciurea SO. Outcomes of Haploidentical Stem Cell Transplantation for Lymphoma with Melphalan-Based Conditioning. Biol Blood Marrow Tr. 2016 Mar.22(3):493-498. Pubmedid: 26497906.
- Gaballa S, Palmisiano N, Alpdogan O, Carabasi M, Filicko-O'Hara J, Kasner M, Kraft WK, Leiby B, Martinez-Outschoorn U, O'Hara W, Pro B, Rudolph S, Sharma M, Wagner JL, Weiss M, Flomenberg N, Grosso D. A Two-Step Haploidentical Versus a Two-Step Matched Related Allogeneic Myeloablative Peripheral Blood Stem Cell Transplantation. Biol Blood Marrow Tr. 2016 Jan.22(1):141-148. Pubmedid: 26415558.
- Kongtim P, Popat U, Jimenez A, Gaballa S, El Fakih R, Rondon G, Chen J, Bueso-Ramos C, Borthakur G, Pemmaraju N, Garcia-Manero G, Kantarjian H, Alousi A, Hosing C, Anderlini P, Khouri IF, Kebriaei P, Andersson BS, Oran B, Rezvani K, Marin D, Shpall EJ, Champlin RE, Ciurea SO. Treatment with Hypomethylating Agents before Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplant Improves Progression-Free Survival for Patients with Chronic Myelomonocytic Leukemia. Biol Blood Marrow Tr. 2016 Jan.22(1):47-53. Pubmedid: 26343946. Pmcid: PMC4892364.
- Bock F, Lu G, Srour SA, Gaballa S, Lin HY, Baladandayuthapani V, Honhar M, Stich M, Shah ND, Bashir Q, Patel K, Popat U, Hosing C, Korbling M, Delgado R, Rondon G, Shah JJ, Thomas SK, Manasanch EE, Isermann B, Orlowski RZ, Champlin RE, Qazilbash MH. Outcome of Patients with Multiple Myeloma and CKS1B Gene Amplification after Autologous Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation. Biol Blood Marrow Tr. 2016 Dec.22(12):2159-2164. Pubmedid: 27638366. Pmcid: PMC5911156.
- Grosso D, Gaballa S, Alpdogan O, Carabasi M, Filicko-O'Hara J, Kasner M, Martinez-Outschoorn U, Wagner JL, O'Hara W, Rudolph S, Chervoneva I, Colombe B, Farley PC, Flomenberg P, Pro B, Sharma M, Shi W, Weiss M, Flomenberg N. A two-step approach to myeloablative haploidentical transplantation: low nonrelapse mortality and high survival confirmed in patients with earlier stage disease. Biol Blood Marrow Tr. 2015 Apr.21(4):646-652. Pubmedid: 25542159.
- Baz R, Fanning S, Kunkel L, Gaballa S, Karam MA, Reed J, Kelly M, Hussein M. Combination of rituximab and oral melphalan and prednisone in newly diagnosed multiple myeloma. Leuk Lymphoma. 2007 Dec.48(12):2338-2344. Pubmedid: 18067008.
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive
different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.Learn more about our patient comments
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.