Moffitt Notice of Blackbaud Data Incident. Learn More
Find a Doctor
Kenian Liu, PhD
Locations: Moffitt Cancer Center
Cancer Focus: Hodgkin Lymphoma , Leukemia , Multiple Myeloma-Plasma Cell Tumor , Myelodysplastic Syndromes (MDS) , Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma
Kenian Liu, PhD is an Assistant Member in Moffitt’s Department of Hematopathology and Laboratory Medicine, FISH Laboratory Director, and Assistant Professor of Oncologic Sciences at USF. Dr. Kenian Liu completed his MD in China and in 2002 he acquired his PhD from the Department of Physiology and Biophysics from the University of Arkansas, Medical School. He, then, pursued his postdoctoral training in bio-medical science for five years. In 2007, he began a fellowship in clinical cytogenetics at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey. He completed his fellowship training in 2009 and was certified by the American Board of Medical Genetics in Clinical Cytogenetics. He has been the medical director of the clinical FISH laboratory for six years. His research interests focus on the relationship between specific chromosomal abnormalities in hematological malignancy and their sensitivity to chemotherapy. Dr. Liu's clinical interests focus on performing chromosome analysis and FISH studies for clinical diagnosis of malignancies.
Education & Training
- Song J, Liu K, Pinilla-Ibarz J, Zhang H. A case report and case review: Chronic myeloid leukemia (CML) blast phase with myelomastocytic differentiation. Leuk Res Rep. 2020 Sep.14:100222. Pubmedid: 33072512. Pmcid: PMC7549112.
- Vander Velde R, Yoon N, Marusyk V, Durmaz A, Dhawan A, Miroshnychenko D, Lozano-Peral D, Desai B, Balynska O, Poleszhuk J, Kenian L, Teng M, Abazeed M, Mian O, Tan AC, Haura E, Scott J, Marusyk A. Resistance to targeted therapies as a multifactorial, gradual adaptation to inhibitor specific selective pressures. Nat Commun. 2020 May.11(1):2393. Pubmedid: 32409712. Pmcid: PMC7224215.
- Hernandez-Prera JC, Holmes BJ, Valentino A, Harshan M, Bacchi CE, Petersson F, Liu KK, Najfeld V, Wenig BM. Macrocystic (Mammary Analogue) Secretory Carcinoma: An Unusual Variant and a Pitfall in the Differential Diagnosis of Cystic Lesions in the Head and Neck. Am J Surg Pathol. 2019 Nov.43(11):1483-1492. Pubmedid: 31464708.
- Zhao X, Ren Y, Lawlor M, Shah BD, Park PMC, Lwin T, Wang X, Liu K, Wang M, Gao J, Li T, Xu M, Silva AS, Lee K, Zhang T, Koomen JM, Jiang H, Sudalagunta PR, Meads MB, Cheng F, Bi C, Fu K, Fan H, Dalton WS, Moscinski LC, Shain KH, Sotomayor EM, Wang GG, Gray NS, Cleveland JL, Qi J, Tao J. BCL2 Amplicon Loss and Transcriptional Remodeling Drives ABT-199 Resistance in B Cell Lymphoma Models. Cancer Cell. 2019 May.35(5):752-766.e9. Pubmedid: 31085176. Pmcid: PMC6945775.
- Gibbs JD, Leon ME, Liu K, Nguyen J, Zhang L. A rare case of Epstein-Barr virus-related plasmacytoma involving maxillary sinus mucosa. Clin Case Rep. 2017 Jul.5(9):1482-1485. Pubmedid: 28878909. Pmcid: PMC5582233.
- Caceres G, McGraw K, Yip BH, Pellagatti A, Johnson J, Zhang L, Liu K, Zhang LM, Fulp WJ, Lee JH, Al Ali NH, Basiorka A, Smith LJ, Daugherty FJ, Littleton N, Wells RA, Sokol L, Wei S, Komrokji RS, Boultwood J, List AF. TP53 suppression promotes erythropoiesis in del(5q) MDS, suggesting a targeted therapeutic strategy in lenalidomide-resistant patients. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013 Oct.110(40):16127-16132. Pubmedid: 24043769. Pmcid: PMC3791697.
- Liu K, DeAngelo P, Mahmet K, Phytides P, Osborne L, Pletcher BA. Cytogenetics of neurofibromas: two case reports and literature review. Cancer Genet Cytogenet. 2010 Jan.196(1):93-95. Pubmedid: 19963142.
- Papadantonakis N, Makitalo M, McCrann DJ, Liu K, Nguyen HG, Martin G, Patel-Hett S, Italiano JE, Ravid K. Direct visualization of the endomitotic cell cycle in living megakaryocytes: differential patterns in low and high ploidy cells. Cell Cycle. 2008 Aug.7(15):2352-2356. Pubmedid: 18677109. Pmcid: PMC2861775.
- Liu H, Liu K, Bodenner DL. Estrogen receptor inhibits interleukin-6 gene expression by disruption of nuclear factor kappaB transactivation. Cytokine. 2005 Aug.31(4):251-257. Pubmedid: 16043358.
- Liu K, Guan Y, MacNicol MC, MacNicol AM, McGehee RE. Early expression of p107 is associated with 3T3-L1 adipocyte differentiation. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2002 Aug.194(1-2):51-61. Pubmedid: 12242027.
- Dienel GA, Liu K, Cruz NF. Local uptake of (14)C-labeled acetate and butyrate in rat brain in vivo during spreading cortical depression. J Neurosci Res. 2001 Dec.66(5):812-820. Pubmedid: 11746406.
- Dienel GA, Liu K, Popp D, Cruz NF. Enhanced acetate and glucose utilization during graded photic stimulation. Neuronal-glial interactions in vivo. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1999 Nov.893:279-281. Pubmedid: 10672248.
- Liu K, Liu L, Chen R, Zhen L. The metabolism of low density lipoprotein from diabetic patients by human monocyte-derived macrophages. Chin J Arterioscl. 1995.2:45-48.
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive
different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.Learn more about our patient comments
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.