Find a Doctor
Kenian Liu, PhD
Locations: Moffitt Cancer Center
Cancer Focus: Hodgkin Lymphoma , Leukemia , Multiple Myeloma-Plasma Cell Tumor , Myelodysplastic Syndromes (MDS) , Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma
Kenian Liu, PhD is an Assistant Member in Moffitt’s Department of Hematopathology and Laboratory Medicine, FISH Laboratory Director, and Assistant Professor of Oncologic Sciences at USF. Dr. Kenian Liu completed his MD in China and in 2002 he acquired his PhD from the Department of Physiology and Biophysics from the University of Arkansas, Medical School. He, then, pursued his postdoctoral training in bio-medical science for five years. In 2007, he began a fellowship in clinical cytogenetics at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey. He completed his fellowship training in 2009 and was certified by the American Board of Medical Genetics in Clinical Cytogenetics. He has been the medical director of the clinical FISH laboratory for six years. His research interests focus on the relationship between specific chromosomal abnormalities in hematological malignancy and their sensitivity to chemotherapy. Dr. Liu's clinical interests focus on performing chromosome analysis and FISH studies for clinical diagnosis of malignancies.
Education & Training
- Zhao X, Ren Y, Lawlor M, Shah BD, Park PMC, Lwin T, Wang X, Liu K, Wang M, Gao J, Li T, Xu M, Silva AS, Lee K, Zhang T, Koomen JM, Jiang H, Sudalagunta PR, Meads MB, Cheng F, Bi C, Fu K, Fan H, Dalton WS, Moscinski LC, Shain KH, Sotomayor EM, Wang GG, Gray NS, Cleveland JL, Qi J, Tao J. BCL2 Amplicon Loss and Transcriptional Remodeling Drives ABT-199 Resistance in B Cell Lymphoma Models. Cancer Cell. 2019 May.35(5):752-766.e9. Pubmedid: 31085176. Pmcid: PMC6945775.
- Hernandez-Prera JC, Holmes BJ, Valentino A, Harshan M, Bacchi CE, Petersson F, Liu KK, Najfeld V, Wenig BM. Macrocystic (Mammary Analogue) Secretory Carcinoma: An Unusual Variant and a Pitfall in the Differential Diagnosis of Cystic Lesions in the Head and Neck. Am J Surg Pathol. 2019 Aug.43(11):1483-1492. Pubmedid: 31464708.
- Gibbs JD, Leon ME, Liu K, Nguyen J, Zhang L. A rare case of Epstein-Barr virus-related plasmacytoma involving maxillary sinus mucosa. Clin Case Rep. 2017 Sep.5(9):1482-1485. Pubmedid: 28878909. Pmcid: PMC5582233.
- Caceres G, McGraw K, Yip BH, Pellagatti A, Johnson J, Zhang L, Liu K, Zhang LM, Fulp WJ, Lee JH, Al Ali NH, Basiorka A, Smith LJ, Daugherty FJ, Littleton N, Wells RA, Sokol L, Wei S, Komrokji RS, Boultwood J, List AF. TP53 suppression promotes erythropoiesis in del(5q) MDS, suggesting a targeted therapeutic strategy in lenalidomide-resistant patients. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013 Oct;110(40):16127-16132. Pubmedid: 24043769. Pmcid: PMC3791697.
- Liu K, DeAngelo P, Mahmet K, Phytides P, Osborne L, Pletcher BA. Cytogenetics of neurofibromas: two case reports and literature review. Cancer Genet Cytogenet. 2010 Jan;196(1):93-95. Pubmedid: 19963142.
- Papadantonakis N, Makitalo M, McCrann DJ, Liu K, Nguyen HG, Martin G, Patel-Hett S, Italiano JE, Ravid K. Direct visualization of the endomitotic cell cycle in living megakaryocytes: differential patterns in low and high ploidy cells. Cell Cycle. 2008 Aug;7(15):2352-2356. Pubmedid: 18677109. Pmcid: PMC2861775.
- Liu H, Liu K, Bodenner DL. Estrogen receptor inhibits interleukin-6 gene expression by disruption of nuclear factor kappaB transactivation. Cytokine. 2005 Aug;31(4):251-257. Pubmedid: 16043358.
- Liu K, Guan Y, MacNicol MC, MacNicol AM, McGehee RE. Early expression of p107 is associated with 3T3-L1 adipocyte differentiation. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2002 Aug;194(1-2):51-61. Pubmedid: 12242027.
- Dienel GA, Liu K, Cruz NF. Local uptake of (14)C-labeled acetate and butyrate in rat brain in vivo during spreading cortical depression. J Neurosci Res. 2001 Dec;66(5):812-820. Pubmedid: 11746406.
- Dienel GA, Liu K, Popp D, Cruz NF. Enhanced acetate and glucose utilization during graded photic stimulation. Neuronal-glial interactions in vivo. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1999 Nov;893:279-281. Pubmedid: 10672248.
- Liu K, Liu L, Chen R, Zhen L. The metabolism of low density lipoprotein from diabetic patients by human monocyte-derived macrophages. Chin J Arterioscl. 1995;2:45-48.