Find a Doctor
Kaaron Benson, MD
Locations: Moffitt Cancer Center
Cancer Focus: Hodgkin Lymphoma , Leukemia , MDS, Multiple Myeloma-Plasma Cell Tumor , Myelodysplastic Syndromes (MDS) , Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma
My clinical interests are focused on current blood transfusion medicine issues like mitigation of adverse events and on HLA typing in support of allogeneic blood and marrow transplantation (BMT). Additionally, in support of BMT patients who have developed graft-versus-host disease, I direct the extracorporeal photopheresis program at Moffitt. Photopheresis is also used to treat cutaneous T-cell lymphoma patients.
Education & Training
- Clinical Pathology
- Memorial Medical Center of Long Beach, Long Beach, CA - Transfusion Medicine
- American Red Cross Blood Services, LA-Orange Counties Region, Los Angeles, CA -
- St. Mary Medical Center, Long Beach, CA - Anatomic and Clinical Pathology
- Medical College of Pennsylvania(MD, - MD)
- Patel SY, Edwards DA, Boulware DC, Serdiuk A, Cook SJ, Benson K, Rice MJ. A novel approach to improving efficiency and cost saving in preoperative blood preparation. Transfusion. 2017 Dec;57(12):3035-3039. Pubmedid: 28940392.
- Fung MK, Benson K. Using HLA typing to support patients with cancer. Cancer Control. 2015 Jan;22(1):79-86. Pubmedid: 25504281.
- Benson K. Transfusion medicine issues pertaining to patients with cancer. Cancer Control. 2015 Jan;22(1):4-5. Pubmedid: 25504273.
- Remily-Wood ER, Benson K, Baz RC, Chen YA, Hussein M, Hartley-Brown MA, Sprung RW, Perez B, Liu RZ, Yoder S, Teer J, Eschrich SA, Koomen JM. Quantification of peptides from immunoglobulin constant and variable regions by LC-MRM MS for assessment of multiple myeloma patients. Proteom Clin Appl. 2014 Oct;8(9-10):783-795. Pubmedid: 24723328. Pmcid: PMC4302417.
- Benson K. Blood component support in patients with solid tumors and hematologic malignancies: lessons from the treatment of Jehovah's Witnesses. Clin Adv Hematol Oncol. 2014 Dec;12(12):858-860. Pubmedid: 25674845.
- Law C, Glover C, Benson K, Guglin M. Extremely high brain natriuretic peptide does not reflect the severity of heart failure. Congest Heart Fail. 2010 Sep;16(5):221-225. Pubmedid: 20887619.
- Mourad AR, Kharfan-Dabaja MA, Benson K, Moscinski LC, Baz RC. Leptomeningeal myeloma as the sole manifestation of relapse: an unusual presentation. Am J Med Sci. 2010 Jan;339(1):81-82. Pubmedid: 19875952.
- Thomas CE, Sexton W, Benson K, Sutphen R, Koomen J. Urine collection and processing for protein biomarker discovery and quantification. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2010 Apr;19(4):953-959. Pubmedid: 20332277. Pmcid: PMC2852495.
- Lessa F, Leparc G, Benson K, Sanderson R, Van Beneden C, Shewmaker P, Jensen B, Arduino M, Kuehnert M. Fatal group C streptococcal infection due to transfusion of a bacterially contaminated pooled platelet unit despite routine bacterial culture screening. Transfusion. 2008 Oct;48(10):2177-2183. Pubmedid: 18564393.
- Koomen JM, Haura EB, Bepler G, Sutphen R, Remily-Wood ER, Benson K, Hussein M, Hazlehurst LA, Yeatman TJ, Hildreth LT, Sellers TA, Jacobsen PB, Fenstermacher DA, Dalton WS. Proteomic contributions to personalized cancer care. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2008 Oct;7(10):1780-1794. Pubmedid: 18664563. Pmcid: PMC2559938.
- Draper N, Conley C, Smith C, Benson K. Dispermic chimerism identified during HLA typing for stem cell transplantation. Transfusion. 2008 Jul;48(7):1398-1402. Pubmedid: 18422842.
- Heller L, Merkler K, Westover J, Cruz Y, Coppola D, Benson K, Daud A, Heller R. Evaluation of toxicity following electrically mediated interleukin-12 gene delivery in a B16 mouse melanoma model. Clin Cancer Res. 2006 May;12(10):3177-3183. Pubmedid: 16707618.
- Benson K. Home is where the heart is: do blood transfusions belong there too?. Transfus Med Rev. 2006 Jul;20(3):218-229. Pubmedid: 16787829.
- Benson K, Agosti S, Latoni-Benedetti G, Leparc G. Acute and delayed hemolytic transfusion reactions secondary to HLA alloimmunization. Transfusion. 2003 Jun;43(6):753-757. Pubmedid: 12757526.
- Jaroszeski M, Coppola D, Nesmith G, Pottinger C, Hyacinthe M, Benson K, Dang V, Gilbert R, Heller R. Effects of electrochemotherapy with bleomycin on normal liver tissue in a rat model. Eur J Cancer. 2001 Feb;37(3):414-421. Pubmedid: 11239765.
- Jaroszeski M, Coppola D, Pottinger C, Benson K, Gilbert R, Heller R. Treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma in a rat model using electrochemotherapy. Eur J Cancer. 2000 Feb;37(3):422-430. Pubmedid: 11239766.
- Kornman M, Leparc G, Benson K. Nucleic acid amplification testing: the new infectious disease testing method for donor blood. Cancer Control. 1999 Oct;6(5):504-508. Pubmedid: 10758581.
- Benson K, Popovsky M, Hines D, Hume H, Oberman H, Glassman A, Pisciotto P, Thurer R, Stehling L, Anderson K. Nationwide survey of home transfusion practices. Transfusion. 1998 Jan;38(1):90-96. Pubmedid: 9482401.
- Mair B, Benson K. Evaluation of changes in hemoglobin levels associated with ABO-incompatible plasma in apheresis platelets. Transfusion. 1998 Jan;38(1):51-55. Pubmedid: 9482394.
- Benson K, Agosti S, Lyman G, Pow-Sang J, Saba H, Balducci L. Estimated blood loss in group O as compared to non-group O radical prostatectomy. Hematology. 1998;3:257-261. Pubmedid: noPMID.
- Benson K. Blood Transfusions in the Home Sweet Home: How to Avoid a Sour Outcome. Cancer Control. 1997 Jul.4(4):364-367. Pubmedid: 10763044.
- Benson K, Balducci L, Milo K, Heckel L, Lyman G. Patients' attitudes regarding out-of-hospital blood transfusion. Transfusion. 1996 Feb;36(2):140-143. Pubmedid: 8614964.
- Mair B, Agosti S, Foulis P, Hamilton R, Benson K. Monitoring for undertransfusion. Transfusion. 1996;36:533-535. Pubmedid: 8669085.
- Garland L, Ballester O, Vasey F, Benson K, Moscinski L, Farmelo M, Rodriguez M, Rapaport D. Multiple myeloma in women with silicone breast implants. Serum immunoglobulin and interleukin-6 studies in women at risk. Curr Top Microbiol. 1996;210:361-366. Pubmedid: 8565578.
- Hume H, Popovsky M, Benson K, Glassman A, Hines D, Oberman H, Pisciotto P, Anderson K. Hypotensive reactions: a previously uncharacterized complication of platelet transfusion. Transfusion. 1996;36:904-909. Pubmedid: 8863779.
- Benson K. Management of the Jehovah's Witness Oncology Patient: Perspective of the Transfusion Service. Cancer Control. 1995 Nov.2(6):552-556. Pubmedid: 10825269.
- Popovsky M, Benson K, Glassman A, Hume H, Oberman H, Pisciotto P, Anderson K. Transfusion practices in human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients. Transfusion. 1995;35:612-616. Pubmedid: 7631396.
- Pisciotto P, Benson K, Hume H, Glassman A, Oberman H, Popovsky M, Hines D, Anderson K. Prophylactic versus therapeutic platelet transfusion practices in hematology/oncology patients. Transfusion. 1995;35:498-502. Pubmedid: 7770901.
- Benson K, Marks A, Marshall M, Goldstein J. Fatal graft-versus-host disease associated with transfusions of HLA-matched, HLA-homozygous platelets from unrelated donors. Transfusion. 1994;34:432-437.
- Balducci L, Benson K, Lyman G, Sanderson R, Fields K, Ballester O, Elfenbein G. Cost-effectiveness of leukocyte depletion filters in adult acute myelogenous leukemia. Transfusion. 1993;33(8):665-670.
- Panzarino V, Estrada A, Benson K, Postoway N, Garratty G. Autoimmune hemolytic anemia after Kawasaki disease in a child. Int J Hematol. 1993;57:259-263.
- Benson K, Fields K, Hiemenz J, Zorsky P, Ballester O, Perkins J, Elfenbein G. The platelet-refractory bone marrow transplant patient: prophylaxis and treatment of bleeding. Semin Oncol. 1993;20:102-109.
- Janssen WE, Benson K, Lee C, Noll L, Smilee R, Fields KK, Zorsky PE, Elfenbein GJ. Salvage and transfusion of autologous red blood cells from bone marrow harvest. Prog Clin Biol Res. 1992;377:337-344. Pubmedid: 1438429.
- Benson K. Immunology. In: Tyler V, ed. Technical Manual. 12th ed. Bethesda, MD: American Association Of Blood Banks; 1996.
- Janssen W, Benson K, Lee C, Noll L, Smilee R, Fields K, Zorsky P, Elfenbein G. 1992;337-344.
- Benson K. The HLA System. In: Tyler V, ed. Technical Manual. 12 ed. Bethesda, MD: American Association Of Blood Banks; 1996.
- Benson K. Bacterial and parasititc infections. In: Petz L, Swisher S, Kleinman S, Spence R, et al, eds. Clinical practice of transfusion medicine. New York, NY: Churchill Livingstone Inc.; 1996.
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive
different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.Learn more about our patient comments
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.