Find a Doctor
Cancer Types Treated: Hodgkin Lymphoma, Leukemia, Multiple Myeloma-Plasma Cell Tumor, Myelodysplastic Syndromes (MDS), Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma
Hailing Zhang, MD is an Assistant Member in Moffitt’s Department of Hematopathology and Laboratory Medicine and Assistant Professor of Oncologic Sciences at USF. Dr. Hailing Zhang received her Bachelor of Medicine degree from the Medical College of TongJi University in Shanghai, China in 1994 (1989-1994) and completed a renal pathology fellowship in Shanghai Medical University. In 1996, she came to the United States and attended graduate school at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS) where she received her MS degree in pathology in 1999. She subsequently spent 7 years working (UAMS and Tufts University School of Medicine) as a research associate. She completed her pathology residency training in New Jersey Medical School (UMDNJ-Newark) between 2006 and 2010 and hematopathology fellowship training in Montefiore Medical Center (MMC) in New York. Upon finishing training, she joined Chilton Hospital in New Jersey and served as a staff pathologist before coming to Moffitt Cancer Center in 2012. Dr. Zhang is a dedicated clinician educator whose clinical and research interests include morphologic evaluation, immunophenotyping and molecular diagnosis of hematolymphoid malignancies. As PI or co-investigator on several university or hospital funded projects, she reviews the morphology, immunophenotype, and molecular classification, and develops budgets, compliance oversight and effective measures of analysis. As faculty she is also dedicated to teaching medical students, residents, fellows and international scholars. In addition, she serves as medical director of Specimen Processing, Chair of the Laboratory Safety Committee and Chair of the Committee for Laboratory Diagnostics. Her clinical interests focus on clinical diagnostic hematopathology, including leukemia, lymphoma, clinical flow cytometry and molecular genetics.
Education & Training
- Anatomic Pathology & Clinical Pathology
- Shanghai Medical University - Renal Pathology
- Albert Einstein College of Medicine Montefiore Medical Center - Hematopathology
- UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical School -
- TongHi University Medical School - MD
- Afiat TP, Zhang X, Zhang H, Ayala E, Zhang L, Sokol L. Sezary syndrome manifesting as posttransplant lymphoproliferative disorder. Leuk Res Rep. 2018 May;9:72-75. Pubmedid: 29761072. Pmcid: PMC5948470.
- Song J, Hussaini M, Zhang H, Shao H, Qin D, Zhang X, Ma Z, Hussnain Naqvi SM, Zhang L, Moscinski LC. Comparison of the Mutational Profiles of Primary Myelofibrosis, Polycythemia Vera, and Essential Thrombocytosis. Am J Clin Pathol. 2017 May;147(5):444-452. Pubmedid: 28419183. Pmcid: PMC5402718.
- Yoshimi A, Balasis ME, Vedder A, Feldman K, Ma Y, Zhang H, Lee SC, Letson C, Niyongere S, Lu SX, Ball M, Taylor J, Zhang Q, Zhao Y, Youssef S, Chung YR, Zhang XJ, Durham BH, Yang W, List AF, Loh ML, Klimek V, Berger MF, Stieglitz E, Padron E, Abdel-Wahab O. Robust patient-derived xenografts of MDS/MPN overlap syndromes capture the unique characteristics of CMML and JMML. Blood. 2017 Jul;130(4):397-407. Pubmedid: 28576879. Pmcid: PMC5533204.
- Dalia S, Brayer J, Horna P, Zhang H, Pinilla-Ibarz J. Transformation to Hodgkin lymphoma in chronic lymphocytic leukemia coexisting with Epstein-Barr viremia. Leuk Lymphoma. 2014 Nov;55(11):2660-2662. Pubmedid: 24528217.
- Maitta RW, Wolgast LR, Wang Q, Zhang H, Bhattacharyya P, Gong JZ, Sunkara J, Albanese JM, Pizzolo JG, Cannizzaro LA, Ramesh KH, Ratech H. Alpha- and beta-synucleins are new diagnostic tools for acute erythroid leukemia and acute megakaryoblastic leukemia. Am J Hematol. 2011 Feb;86(2):230-234. Pubmedid: 21264917.
- Zhang H, Maitta RW, Bhattacharyya PK, Florea AD, Sen F, Wang Q, Ratech H. γ-Synuclein is a promising new marker for staining reactive follicular dendritic cells, follicular dendritic cell sarcoma, Kaposi sarcoma, and benign and malignant vascular tumors. Am J Surg Pathol. 2011 Dec;35(12):1857-1865. Pubmedid: 21959308.
- Zhang H, Yang XY, Hong T, Feldman T, Bhattacharyya PK. Kaposi sarcoma-associated herpesvirus (human herpesvirus type 8)-associated extracavitary lymphoma: Report of a case in an HIV-positive patient with simultaneous kaposi sarcoma and a review of the literature. Acta Haematol. 2010 Jun;123(4):237-241. Pubmedid: 20484888.
- Zhang H, Gupta G, Yang XY, Rosenbluth R, Bhattacharyya PK. A unique case of merkel cell carcinoma and chronic lymphocytic leukaemia presenting in a single cutaneous lesion (collision tumour). BMJ Case Rep. 2009 Apr. Pubmedid: 21686502. Pmcid: PMC3027557.
- Bose C, Zhang H, Udupa KB, Chowdhury P. Activation of p-ERK1/2 by nicotine in pancreatic tumor cell line AR42J: effects on proliferation and secretion. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2005 Nov;289(5):G926-G934. Pubmedid: 16051920.
- Zhang H, Jia Y, Cooper JJ, Hale T, Zhang Z, Elbein SC. Common variants in glutamine:fructose-6-phosphate amidotransferase 2 (GFPT2) gene are associated with type 2 diabetes, diabetic nephropathy, and increased GFPT2 mRNA levels. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2004 Feb;89(2):748-755. Pubmedid: 14764791.
- Wang H, Zhang H, Jia Y, Zhang Z, Craig R, Wang X, Elbein SC. Adiponectin receptor 1 gene (ADIPOR1) as a candidate for type 2 diabetes and insulin resistance. Diabetes. 2004 Aug;53(8):2132-2136. Pubmedid: 15277397.
- Elbein SC, Zheng H, Jia Y, Chu W, Cooper JJ, Hale T, Zhang Z. Molecular screening of the human glutamine-fructose-6-phosphate amidotransferase 1 (GFPT1) gene and association studies with diabetes and diabetic nephropathy. Mol Genet Metab. 2004 Aug;82(4):321-328. Pubmedid: 15308130.