Find a Doctor
Bruce Wenig, MD
Department Chair, Pathology
Locations: Moffitt Cancer Center
Cancer Types Treated: Oral Cavity or Throat Cancer , Thyroid Cancer , Adrenal Carcinoma, Head and Neck Cancer
Dr. Bruce Wenig is a Senior Member in the Department of Anatomic Pathology at Moffitt Cancer Center. Dr. Wenig also serves as the Section Head of Anatomic Pathology External Network Consultation Services and the Section Head of Moffitt’s Head and Neck–Endocrine Pathology Program. Dr. Wenig received his MD from Sackler School of Medicine/New York State Division at the Tel Aviv University in Israel. He completed an Anatomic and Clinical Pathology Residency in the Department of Pathology at The Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York. Dr. Wenig completed a Fellowship in Surgical Pathology in the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, California, and a Fellowship in Otolaryngic Pathology at the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology in Washington, DC. Following his Fellowship, Dr. Wenig was a Staff Pathologist (1987-1998) for the Department of Otolaryngic-Endocrine Pathology at the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, and also served as Chief, Division of Otolaryngic Pathology, Department of Endocrine and Otorhinolaryngic Head and Neck Pathology, Washington, DC. From 1998 to 2001, Dr. Wenig was the Vice Chairman for Anatomic Pathology and Professor of Pathology, Department of Pathology at Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY. From 2001 to 2003, he was Vice Chairman for Anatomic Pathology, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine at Beth Israel Medical Center, St. Luke’s – Roosevelt Hospitals, New York, NY, and Associate Director, Continuum Cancer Center of New York. Prior to joining Moffitt, he was the Chairman, Department of Diagnostic Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, Mount Sinai Roosevelt, New York; Vice Chairman of Anatomic Pathology, Department of Pathology, Mount Sinai Health System, NY; and Professor of Pathology, Department of Pathology, Icahn School of Medicine, Mount Sinai, NY. Dr. Wenig’s main clinical interests are in diseases of the head and neck and of endocrine organs including oncologic and non-neoplastic diseases. He has published extensively in peer-reviewed journals as well as authoring/editing several textbooks and numerous book chapters on head-and-neck and endocrine pathology. The third edition of his singly authored book, The Atlas of Head and Neck Pathology, was published in 2016. His research is primarily clinically focused, utilizing classic morphology in conjunction with immunohistochemical and molecular biologic techniques in the evaluation of a wide spectrum of diseases of the head and neck and of the endocrine organs.
Education & Training
- Anatomic Pathology & Clinical Pathology
- Cedars-Sinai Medical Center - Anatomic Pathology
- Amred Forces Institute of Pathology - Otolaryngic Pathology
- The Mount Sinai Medical Center - Anatomic Pathology
- Sackler School of Medicine/NY Division at Tel Aviv University - MD
- Turk A, Asa SL, Baloch ZW, Faquin WC, Fellegara G, Ghossein R, Giordano TJ, Livolsi V, Lloyd RV, Mete O, Rosai J, Suster S, Thompson LDR, Wenig BM. Interobserver Variability in the Histopathologic Assessment of Extrathyroidal Extension of Well Differentiated Thyroid Carcinoma Supports the New AJCC 8th Edition Criteria for Tumor Staging. Thyroid. 2019 Mar. Pubmedid: 30913992.
- Martin-Gomez L, Giuliano AR, Fulp WJ, Caudell J, Echevarria M, Sirak B, Abrahamsen M, Isaacs-Soriano KA, Hernandez-Prera JC, Wenig BM, Vorwald K, McMullen CP, Wadsworth JT, Slebos RJ, Chung CH. Human Papillomavirus Genotype Detection in Oral Gargle Samples Among Men With Newly Diagnosed Oropharyngeal Squamous Cell Carcinoma. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2019 Mar. Pubmedid: 30920604.
- Holmes BJ, Wenig BM. Virus-associated carcinomas of the head & neck: Update from the 2017 WHO classification. Ann Diagn Pathol. 2019 Feb;38:29-42. Pubmedid: 30415111.
- Turk AT, Wenig BM. Thyroid tumors with follicular architecture. Ann Diagn Pathol. 2019 Feb;38:51-58. Pubmedid: 30419427.
- Franchi A, Bishop JA, Coleman H, Flucke U, Licitra LF, Pendás JLL, Stelow EB, Toner M, Weinreb I, Wenig BM, Thompson LDR. Data Set for the Reporting of Carcinomas of the Nasal Cavity and Paranasal Sinuses: Explanations and Recommendations of the Guidelines From the International Collaboration on Cancer Reporting. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2019 Apr;143(4):424-431. Pubmedid: 30500298.
- Thompson LDR, Magliocca KR, Andreasen S, Kiss K, Rooper L, Stelow E, Wenig BM, Bishop JA. CAIX and pax-8 Commonly Immunoreactive in Endolymphatic Sac Tumors: A Clinicopathologic Study of 26 Cases with Differential Considerations for Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma in von Hippel-Lindau Patients. Head Neck Pathol. 2018 Oct. Pubmedid: 30291511.
- Gupta R, Sandison A, Wenig BM, Thompson LDR. Data Set for the Reporting of Ear and Temporal Bone Tumors: Explanations and Recommendations of the Guidelines From the International Collaboration on Cancer Reporting. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2018 Nov. Pubmedid: 30500288.
- Rowe ME, Ozbek U, Machado RA, Yue LE, Hernandez-Prera JC, Valentino A, Qazi M, Brandwein-Weber M, Liu X, Wenig BM, Urken ML. The Prevalence of Extranodal Extension in Papillary Thyroid Cancer Based on the Size of the Metastatic Node: Adverse Histologic Features Are Not Limited to Larger Lymph Nodes. Endocr Pathol. 2018 Mar;29(1):80-85. Pubmedid: 29396810.
- Valderrabano P, Khazai L, Thompson ZJ, Sharpe SC, Tarasova VD, Otto KJ, Hallanger-Johnson JE, Wadsworth JT, Wenig BM, Chung CH, Centeno BA, McIver B. Cancer Risk Associated with Nuclear Atypia in Cytologically Indeterminate Thyroid Nodules: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Thyroid. 2018 Feb;28(2):210-219. Pubmedid: 29160163.
- Nikiforov YE, Baloch ZW, Hodak SP, Giordano TJ, Lloyd RV, Seethala RR, Wenig BM. Change in Diagnostic Criteria for Noninvasive Follicular Thyroid Neoplasm With Papillarylike Nuclear Features. JAMA Oncol. 2018 Aug;4(8):1125-1126. Pubmedid: 29902314.
- Valderrabano P, Khazai L, Thompson ZJ, Leon ME, Otto KJ, Hallanger-Johnson JE, Wadsworth JT, Wenig BM, Chung CH, Centeno BA, McIver B. Cancer Risk Stratification of Indeterminate Thyroid Nodules: A Cytological Approach. Thyroid. 2017 Oct;27(10):1277-1284. Pubmedid: 28806881. Pmcid: PMC6112164.
- Stelow EB, Wenig BM. Update From The 4th Edition of the World Health Organization Classification of Head and Neck Tumours: Nasopharynx. Head Neck Pathol. 2017 Mar;11(1):16-22. Pubmedid: 28247232. Pmcid: PMC5340728.
- Wenig BM. Squamous cell carcinoma of the upper aerodigestive tract: dysplasia and select variants. Mod Pathol. 2017 Jan;30(s1):S112-S118. Pubmedid: 28060368.
- Hernandez-Prera J, Machado R, Asa SL, Baloch ZW, Faquin WC, Ghossein R, LiVolsi VA, Lloyd RV, Mete O, Nikiforov YE, Seethala R, Suster S, Thompson LDR, Turk A, Sadow PM, Urken ML, Wenig BM. Pathologic Reporting of Tall-Cell Variant of Papillary Thyroid Cancer: Have We Reached a Consensus?. Thyroid. 2017 Dec;27(12):1498-1504. Pubmedid: 29020884.
- Du E, Wenig BM, Su HK, Rowe ME, Haser GC, Asa SL, Baloch Z, Faquin WC, Fellegara G, Giordano T, Ghossein R, LiVolsi VA, Lloyd R, Mete O, Ozbek U, Rosai J, Suster S, Thompson LD, Turk AT, Urken ML. Inter-Observer Variation in the Pathologic Identification of Extranodal Extension in Nodal Metastasis from Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma. Thyroid. 2016 Jun;26(6):816-819. Pubmedid: 27089928.
- Nikiforov YE, Seethala RR, Tallini G, Baloch ZW, Basolo F, Thompson LD, Barletta JA, Wenig BM, Al Ghuzlan A, Kakudo K, Giordano TJ, Alves VA, Khanafshar E, Asa SL, El-Naggar AK, Gooding WE, Hodak SP, Lloyd RV, Maytal G, Mete O, Nikiforova MN, Nosé V, Papotti M, Poller DN, Sadow PM, Tischler AS, Tuttle RM, Wall KB, LiVolsi VA, Randolph GW, Ghossein RA. Nomenclature Revision for Encapsulated Follicular Variant of Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma: A Paradigm Shift to Reduce Overtreatment of Indolent Tumors. JAMA Oncol. 2016 08;2(8):1023-1029. Pubmedid: 27078145. Pmcid: PMC5539411.
- Isayeva T, Xu J, Ragin C, Dai Q, Cooper T, Carroll W, Dayan D, Vered M, Wenig B, Rosenthal E, Grizzle W, Anderson J, Willey CD, Yang ES, Brandwein-Gensler M. The protective effect of p16(INK4a) in oral cavity carcinomas: p16(Ink4A) dampens tumor invasion-integrated analysis of expression and kinomics pathways. Mod Pathol. 2015 May;28(5):631-653. Pubmedid: 25523612.
- Shah AA, Wenig BM, LeGallo RD, Mills SE, Stelow EB. Morphology in conjunction with immunohistochemistry is sufficient for the diagnosis of mammary analogue secretory carcinoma. Head Neck Pathol. 2015 Mar;9(1):85-95. Pubmedid: 25078757. Pmcid: PMC4382490.
- Wenig BM. Pitfalls in the biopsy diagnosis of intraoral minor salivary gland neoplasms: diagnostic considerations and recommended approach. Adv Anat Pathol. 2015 Jul;22(4):280-281. Pubmedid: 26050267.
- Wenig BM. Viral-related diseases of the head and neck. Semin Diagn Pathol. 2015 Jan;32(1):1-2. Pubmedid: 25804340.
- Urken ML, Mechanick JI, Sarlin J, Scherl S, Wenig BM. Pathologic reporting of lymph node metastases in differentiated thyroid cancer: a call to action for the College of American Pathologists. Endocr Pathol. 2014 Sep;25(3):214-218. Pubmedid: 24292975.
- Wenig BM. Recently described sinonasal tract lesions/neoplasms: considerations for the new world health organization book. Head Neck Pathol. 2014 Mar;8(1):33-41. Pubmedid: 24595422. Pmcid: PMC3950390.
- Li Y, Bai S, Carroll W, Dayan D, Dort JC, Heller K, Jour G, Lau H, Penner C, Prystowsky M, Rosenthal E, Schlecht NF, Smith RV, Urken M, Vered M, Wang B, Wenig B, Negassa A, Brandwein-Gensler M. Validation of the risk model: high-risk classification and tumor pattern of invasion predict outcome for patients with low-stage oral cavity squamous cell carcinoma. Head Neck Pathol. 2013 Sep;7(3):211-223. Pubmedid: 23250819. Pmcid: PMC3738758.