Notice to Our Patients Regarding a Stolen Briefcase. Learn More
Find a Doctor
Marilin Rosa, MD
Locations: Moffitt McKinley Outpatient Center
Cancer Focus: Breast Cancer, Ductal Carcinoma In Situ , Inflammatory Breast Cancer , Invasive Ductal Carcinoma , Triple Negative Breast Cancer
Dr. Rosa is board certified in Anatomic Pathology and Cytopathology with additional fellowship training in Breast Pathology. She is the Section Head of Breast Pathology at Moffitt Cancer Center. Dr. Rosa is also the Associate Program Director of the Surgical Oncologic Pathology Fellowship Program, helping train the next generation of pathologists pursuing advanced training in oncology. Dr. Rosa also serves as an instructor and mentor for medical students and resident physicians. Her expertise includes breast cancer diagnosis, research and education. Dr. Rosa provides diagnostic second opinion in benign and malignant breast disease and cytopathology. Her research interests include identifying diagnostic, prognostic and predictive biomarkers for breast cancer as well as diagnosing breast lesions using minimally invasive procedures. Dr. Rosa has extensively published in peer reviewed, indexed journals including pathology, cytopathology and clinical journals. Dr. Rosa has also written several book chapters in pathology and cytopathology books. Dr. Rosa speaks English and Spanish.
Education & Training
- Anatomic Pathology
- University of Florida College of Medicine - Breast Pathology
- University of Louisville - Cytopathology
- Univeristy of Puerto Rico - Anatomic Pathology
- Universidad Autonoma de Ciencias MedicasMD
- Afiat TN, Hembree TN, Dean EA, Araujo C, Pena LR, Rosa M, Han HS, Hendrix K, Ramsakal A. Diffuse Intrasinusoidal Hepatic Metastasis from Breast Cancer Presenting as Liver Failure: Effective and Rapid Treatment with Weekly Low-Dose Adriamycin. Am J Case Rep. 2020 Sep.21:e924141. Pubmedid: 32877389.
- Di Pasquale Guadalupe L, De Jesús J, Xiong Y, Rosa M. Tumor size and focality in breast carcinoma: Analysis of concordance between radiological imaging modalities and pathological examination at a cancer center. Ann Diagn Pathol. 2020 Aug.48:151601. Pubmedid: 32871502.
- Rosa M, Agosto-Arroyo E. Core needle biopsy of benign, borderline and in-situ problematic lesions of the breast: Diagnosis, differential diagnosis and immunohistochemistry. Ann Diagn Pathol. 2019 Sep.43:151407. Pubmedid: 31634810.
- De Jesus J, Rosa M. Suboptimal concordance in testing and retesting results of triple-negative breast carcinoma cases among laboratories: one institution experience. Cancer Cell Int. 2019 Oct.19:263. Pubmedid: 31632197. Pmcid: PMC6788018.
- Nguyen L, Khazai L, Hakam A, Centeno BA, Rosa M. Diagnostic value of intraoperative rapid cytokeratin immunostain in the cytological evaluation of sentinel lymph nodes in patients with invasive lobular carcinoma. Diagn Cytopathol. 2019 May.47(5):482-487. Pubmedid: 30589516.
- Khazai L, Agosto-Arroyo E, Rosa M. P40 Immunostain Does Not Outperform p63 as a Myoepithelial Cell Marker in the Daily Practice of Breast Pathology. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol. 2018 Sep;26(8):599-604. Pubmedid: 28549030.
- Agosto-Arroyo E, Tahmasbi M, Al Diffalha S, Khazai L, Xiong Y, Rosa M. Invasive Breast Carcinoma Tumor Size on Core Needle Biopsy: Analysis of Practice Patterns and Effect on Final Pathologic Tumor Stage. Clin Breast Cancer. 2018 Oct;18(5):e1027-e1030. Pubmedid: 29622383.
- Pérez-Morales J, Mejías-Morales D, Rivera-Rivera S, González-Flores J, González-Loperena M, Cordero-Báez FY, Pedreira-García WM, Chardón-Colón C, Cabán-Rivera J, Cress WD, Gordian ER, Muñoz-Antonia T, Cabrera-Ríos M, Isidro A, Coppola D, Rosa M, Boyle TA, Izumi V, Koomen JM, Santiago-Cardona PG. Hyper-phosphorylation of Rb S249 together with CDK5R2/p39 overexpression are associated with impaired cell adhesion and epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition: Implications as a potential lung cancer grading and staging biomarker. PLoS One. 2018 Nov.13(11):e0207483. Pubmedid: 30452490. Pmcid: PMC6242691.
- Rosa M, Khazai L. Comparison of HER2 testing among laboratories: Our experience with review cases retested at Moffitt Cancer Center in a two-year period. Breast J. 2018 Mar;24(2):139-147. Pubmedid: 28703376.
- Dominguez C, Rosa M, George TB, Pimiento J, Lauwers GY, Coppola D. Evaluation of Expression of Human Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor 2 (HER2) in Gastric and Gastroesophageal Junction Adenocarcinoma Using IHC and Dual-ISH. Anticancer Res. 2018 Jan.38(1):367-372. Pubmedid: 29277796.
- Rosa M. Cytological features of medullary thyroid carcinoma in ascitic effusion. Diagn Cytopathol. 2017 Nov;45(11):1030-1032. Pubmedid: 28643384.
- Agosto-Arroyo E, Rosa M, Chau A, Khazai L. Concurrent and mutations in melanoma of unknown origin presenting as a breast mass. SAGE Open Med Case Rep. 2017 May.5. Pubmedid: 28607685. Pmcid: PMC5456025.
- Mekhail Y, Prather A, Hanna C, Rosa M, Weinfurtner RJ. Focal angiomatosis of the breast with MRI and histologic features. Radiol Case Rep. 2017 Jun.12(2):219-222. Pubmedid: 28491155. Pmcid: PMC5417726.
- Almhanna K, Rosa M, Henderson-Jackson E, Jiang K, Shamekh R, Sayegh Z, Malafa MP, Coppola D. Her-2 Expression in Gastroesophageal Intestinal Metaplasia, Dysplasia, and Adenocarcinoma. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol. 2016 Oct;24(9):633-638. Pubmedid: 26186253.
- Shah S, Rosa M. Radiation-Associated Angiosarcoma of the Breast: Clinical and Pathologic Features. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2016 May;140(5):477-481. Pubmedid: 27128306.
- Kamat L, Rosa M, Weinfurtner R, Drukteinis J, Falcon S, Patel B. Primary Breast Angiosarcoma in a Male. Breast J. 2016 Jun;21(5):545-548. Pubmedid: 26183811.
- Khazai L, Falcon S, Rosa M. Metastatic Salivary Duct Carcinoma to the Breast. Breast J. 2016 Jul;22(4):461-463. Pubmedid: 27089239.
- Khazai L, Chau A, Hoover S, Rosa M. Papillary endothelial hyperplasia arising in the irradiated breast: A diagnostic dilemma. Pathol Res Pract. 2016 Jul;212(7):604-607. Pubmedid: 27157404.
- Chau A, Jafarian N, Rosa M. Male Breast: Clinical and Imaging Evaluations of Benign and Malignant Entities with Histologic Correlation. Am J Med. 2016 Aug;129(8):776-791. Pubmedid: 26844632.
- Rosa M. Cytologic Features of Subacute Granulomatous Thyroiditis Can Mimic Malignancy in Liquid-Based Preparations. Diagn Cytopathol. 2016 Aug;44(8):682-684. Pubmedid: 27167165.
- Zimmerman A, Locke FL, Emole J, Rosa M, Horna P, Hoover S, Dayicioglu D. Recurrent Systemic Anaplastic Lymphoma Kinase-Negative Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma Presenting as a Breast Implant-Associated Lesion. Cancer Control. 2015 Jul;22(3):369-373. Pubmedid: 26351895.
- Rosa M, Han HS, Ismail-Khan R, Allam-Nandyala P, Bui MM. Beta-catenin expression patterns in matched pre- and post-neoadjuvant chemotherapy-resistant breast cancer. Ann Clin Lab Sci. 2015 Dec;45(1):10-16. Pubmedid: 25696004.
- Masood S, Rosa M, Kraemer DF, Smotherman C, Mohammadi A. Comparative cost-effectiveness of fine needle aspiration biopsy versus image-guided biopsy, and open surgical biopsy in the evaluation of breast cancer in the era of affordable care act: A changing landscape. Diagn Cytopathol. 2015 Aug;43(8):605-612. Pubmedid: 25722099.
- Jafarian N, Kuppler K, Rosa M, Hoover S, Patel B. Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia and Invasive Ductal Carcinoma Presenting as a Collision Breast Tumor. Clin Breast Cancer. 2015 Aug;15(4):e209-e212. Pubmedid: 25818398.
- Khazai L, Rosa M. Use of Immunohistochemical Stains in Epithelial Lesions of the Breast. Cancer Control. 2015 Apr;22(2):220-225. Pubmedid: 26068768.
- Rosa M. Advances in the Molecular Analysis of Breast Cancer: Pathway Toward Personalized Medicine. Cancer Control. 2015 Apr;22(2):211-219. Pubmedid: 26068767.
- Rosa M, Abdelbaqi M, Bui KM, Nasir A, Bui MM, Shibata D, Coppola D. Overexpression of Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor A in Invasive Micropapillary Colorectal Carcinoma. Cancer Control. 2015 Apr;22(2):206-210. Pubmedid: 26068766.
- Rosa M, Mohammadi A. Cytologic features of fibrolamellar carcinoma with mucin production: A rare variant of combined hepatocellular-cholangiocarcinoma. Diagn Cytopathol. 2014 May;42(5):431-435. Pubmedid: 23008149.
- Rosa M. Academic research in medicine: The need for teamwork and leadership. Diagn Cytopathol. 2014 Jun;42(6):553-554. Pubmedid: 23161860.
- Rosa M, Mohammadi A. Cervical Cytology and Human Papillomavirus Testing in Adolescent Women: Implications in Management of a Positive HPV Test. Patholog Res Int. 2014 Apr;2014:165690. Pubmedid: 24778896. Pmcid: PMC3981476.
- Butler D, Rosa M. Pleomorphic lobular carcinoma of the breast: a morphologically and clinically distinct variant of lobular carcinoma. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2013 Nov;137(11):1688-1692. Pubmedid: 24168512.
- Rosa M, Pragasam P, Saremian J, Aoalin A, Graf W, Mohammadi A. The unsatisfactory ThinPrep® Pap Test™: Analysis of technical aspects, most common causes, and recommendations for improvement. Diagn Cytopathol. 2012 Jul;41(7):588-594. Pubmedid: 22833404.
- Rosa M. Curious encounters during cytopathological evaluation. Diagn Cytopathol. 2013 Aug;41(8):705. Pubmedid: 22645018.
- Rosa M, Mohammadi A. Lupus mastitis: a review. Ann Diagn Pathol. 2013 Apr;17(2):230-233. Pubmedid: 23190681.
- Saremian J, Rosa M. Solid papillary carcinoma of the breast: a pathologically and clinically distinct breast tumor. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2012 Oct;136(10):1308-1311. Pubmedid: 23020734.
- Rosa M, Mohammadi A, Masood S. The value of fine needle aspiration biopsy in the diagnosis and prognostic assessment of palpable breast lesions. Diagn Cytopathol. 2012 Jan;40(1):26-34. Pubmedid: 22180235.
- Rosa M, Masood S. Cytomorphology of male breast lesions: diagnostic pitfalls and clinical implications. Diagn Cytopathol. 2012 Feb;40(2):179-184. Pubmedid: 22246937.
- Mohammadi A, Rosa M. Carcinoma of the breast with choriocarcinomatous features. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2011 Sep;135(9):1097-1100. Pubmedid: 21877993.
- Masood S, Rosa M. Borderline breast lesions: diagnostic challenges and clinical implications. Adv Anat Pathol. 2011 May;18(3):190-198. Pubmedid: 21490436.
- Rosa M. Cytomorphology of kidney "thyroidization". Diagn Cytopathol. 2011 Jul;39(7):508-509. Pubmedid: 20949460.
- Mohammadi A, Rosa M, Masood S. The use of fine-needle aspiration biopsy samples for the assessment of basal phenotype in triple negative breast cancer patients: a correlative study. Diagn Cytopathol. 2011 Jan;39(1):1-7. Pubmedid: 20091704.
- Latif N, Rosa M, Samian L, Rana F. An unusual case of primary small cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the breast. Breast J. 2010 Nov;16(6):647-651. Pubmedid: 21070442.
- Rosa M, Mohammadi A, Masood S. The value of fine needle aspiration biopsy in the diagnosis and prognostic assessment of palpable breast lesions. Diagn Cytopathol. 2010 Nov. Pubmedid: 21046591.
- Rosa M, Bajestani S, Davis C, Makary R, Villas B. Fine-needle aspiration biopsy diagnosis of costal juxtacortical chondrosarcoma presenting as an abdominal mass. Diagn Cytopathol. 2010 Nov.38(11):837-840. Pubmedid: 20187114.
- Rosa M. "Inflammatory" changes in breast: how to provide a better care to our patients. Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2010 May;281(5):901-905. Pubmedid: 19789887.
- Makary R, Mohammadi A, Rosa M, Shuja S. Twin gestation with complete hydatidiform mole and a coexisting live fetus: case report and brief review of literature. Obstet Med. 2010 Mar;3(1):30-32. Pubmedid: 27582837. Pmcid: PMC4989764.
- Rosa M. Clinical significance of dysplastic squamous cells in exfoliative urine cytology. Diagn Cytopathol. 2010 Jun;38(6):468-469. Pubmedid: 19937764.
- Mohammadi A, Rosa M, Rhatigan R. Eyelid basal cell carcinoma associated with solitary neurofibroma. J Cutan Pathol. 2010 Jun;37(6):707-709. Pubmedid: 19614728.
- Rosa M. Histologic changes after uterine artery embolization using polyvinyl alcohol particles. Int J Surg Pathol. 2010 Dec;18(6):518. Pubmedid: 20643673.
- Rosa M, Mohammadi A, Masood S. Lobular neoplasia displaying central necrosis: a potential diagnostic pitfall. Pathol Res Pract. 2010 Aug;206(8):544-549. Pubmedid: 20359832.
- Rosa M, Mohammadi A, Campos M, García-García I, Correa-Rivas MS. Congenital EWS/pPNET presenting as a neck mass. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2009 Oct;53(4):678-679. Pubmedid: 19492319.
- Gosselink CP, Sindone JL, Meadows BJ, Mohammadi A, Rosa M. Amelanotic subungual melanoma: a case report. J Foot Ankle Surg. 2009 Mar;48(2):220-224. Pubmedid: 19232976.
- Rosa M, Mohammadi A, Masood S. Lobular carcinoma of the breast with extracellular mucin: new variant of mucin-producing carcinomas?. Pathol Int. 2009 Jun;59(6):405-409. Pubmedid: 19490472.
- Rosa M, Mohammadi A, Monteiro C. Ectopic tubal pregnancy after hysterectomy and tubal ligation. Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2009 Jan;279(1):83-85. Pubmedid: 18418620.
- Masood S, Rosa M. The challenge of apocrine proliferations of the breast: a morphologic approach. Pathol Res Pract. 2009 Feb;205(3):155-164. Pubmedid: 19147303.
- Rosa M, Sahoo S. Primary hydatid cyst of the omentum. Diagn Cytopathol. 2009 Feb;37(2):117-118. Pubmedid: 18973124.
- Rosa M, Mohammadi A. Myositis ossificans traumatica of the abdominal wall. Can J Surg. 2009 Apr;52(2):E33-E34. Pubmedid: 19399197. Pmcid: PMC2673154.
- Rosa M. Fine-needle aspiration biopsy: a historical overview. Diagn Cytopathol. 2008 Nov;36(11):773-775. Pubmedid: 18831026.
- Rosa M, Sahoo S. Bilateral carotid body tumor: the role of fine-needle aspiration biopsy in the preoperative diagnosis. Diagn Cytopathol. 2008 Mar;36(3):178-180. Pubmedid: 18232000.
- Rosa M, Moore G. Epidermalization of cervix and vagina: an unsolved dilemma. J Low Genit Tract Dis. 2008 Jul;12(3):217-219. Pubmedid: 18596464.
- Mohammadi A, Rosa M, Rhatigan R. Verocay body prominent schwannoma of penis: an unusual localization for this lesion. J Cutan Pathol. 2008 Dec;35(12):1160-1162. Pubmedid: 18976406.
- Rosa M, Chopra HK, Sahoo S. Fine needle aspiration biopsy diagnosis of metastatic prostate carcinoma to inguinal lymph node. Diagn Cytopathol. 2007 Sep;35(9):565-567. Pubmedid: 17703448.
- Messina JL, Rosa M. Pathologic evaluation of sentinel nodes. Cancer J. 21(1):33-38. Pubmedid: 25611778.
- Costa RLB, Costa-Filho RB, Rosa M, Czerniecki BJ. Occult Breast Carcinoma Presenting as Scalp Metastasis. Case Rep Oncol. 10(3):992-997. Pubmedid: 29279704. Pmcid: PMC5731106.
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive
different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.Learn more about our patient comments
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.