Find a Doctor
James Liu, MD
Locations: Moffitt Cancer Center
Cancer Types Treated: Brain Cancer , Glioblastoma , Meningioma , Spinal Tumor
Dr. James Liu is neurosurgeon who specializes in the surgical and radiosurgical treatment of brain and spine tumors. He is an Assistant Member in the Department of Neuro-Oncology at Moffitt Cancer and an Assistant Professor of Oncologic Sciences at the University of South Florida. He received his undergraduate education from the University of Michigan, and his medical degree from Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine. He obtained his residency training in neurosurgery at the Cleveland Clinic. He also completed a post-doctoral fellowship in Cancer Stem Cell Biology at the Cleveland Clinic, during which he was awarded the Congress of Neurological Surgeons Tumor Fellowship. He then completed a fellowship in neurosurgical oncology at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. Dr. Liu also leads a laboratory research effort focused on understanding the molecular mechanisms that drive the formation of brain tumors. In particular, the Liu Laboratory focuses on how a subset of the tumor population with tumor-initiating, or stem-like properties, contribute to the proliferation of brain tumors and their resistance to medical therapies. The laboratory uses peptide screening technology against patient derived brain tumor cells to isolate novel receptors and targets that can be used to further characterize the mechanisms that drive these cells, for the development of future therapeutic strategies. The Laboratory also utilizes peptide screening technology to develop targeting agents that allow tumor detection at a cellular level, for improved visualization as well as earlier diagnosis of primary and metastatic brain tumors.
Education & Training
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center - Neurosurgical Oncology
- Cleveland Clinic - Neurosurgery
- Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine - MD
- Eroglu Z, Holmen SL, Chen Q, Khushalani NI, Amaravadi R, Thomas R, Ahmed KA, Tawbi H, Chandra S, Markowitz J, Smalley I, Liu JKC, Ann Chen Y, Najjar YG, Karreth FA, Abate-Daga D, Glitza IC, Sosman JA, Sondak VK, Bosenberg M, Herlyn M, Atkins MB, Kluger H, Margolin K, Forsyth PA, Davies MA, Smalley KSM. Melanoma central nervous system metastases: An update to approaches, challenges, and opportunities. Pigment Cell Melanoma Res. 2019 May;32(3):458-469. Pubmedid: 30712316.
- Figura NB, Rizk VT, Mohammadi H, Evernden B, Mokhtari S, Yu HM, Robinson TJ, Etame AB, Tran ND, Liu J, Washington I, Diaz R, Czerniecki BJ, Soliman H, Han HS, Sahebjam S, Forsyth PA, Ahmed KA. Clinical outcomes of breast leptomeningeal disease treated with intrathecal trastuzumab, intrathecal chemotherapy, or whole brain radiation therapy. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2019 Jun;175(3):781-788. Pubmedid: 30859348.
- Liu JKC. Neurologic Deterioration Due to Brain Sag After Bilateral Craniotomy for Subdural Hematoma Evacuation. World Neurosurg. 2018 Jun;114:90-93. Pubmedid: 29524703.
- Liu JK, Kshettry VR, Recinos PF, Kamian K, Schlenk RP, Benzel EC. Establishing a surgical skills laboratory and dissection curriculum for neurosurgical residency training. J Neurosurg. 2015 Nov;123(5):1331-1338. Pubmedid: 26052729.
- Liu JK, Turner RD, Luciano MG, Krishnaney AA. Circumferential intrathecal ossification in oculoleptomeningeal amyloidosis. J Clin Neurosci. 2015 Apr;22(4):769-771. Pubmedid: 25630425.
- Liu JK, Laufer I, Bilsky MH. Update on management of vertebral column tumors. CNS Oncol. 2014 Mar;3(2):137-147. Pubmedid: 25055019. Pmcid: PMC6128188.
- Liu JK, Lubelski D, Schonberg DL, Wu Q, Hale JS, Flavahan WA, Mulkearns-Hubert EE, Man J, Hjelmeland AB, Yu J, Lathia JD, Rich JN. Phage display discovery of novel molecular targets in glioblastoma-initiating cells. Cell Death Differ. 2014 Aug;21(8):1325-1339. Pubmedid: 24832468. Pmcid: PMC4085538.
- Cheng L, Huang Z, Zhou W, Wu Q, Donnola S, Liu JK, Fang X, Sloan AE, Mao Y, Lathia JD, Min W, McLendon RE, Rich JN, Bao S. Glioblastoma stem cells generate vascular pericytes to support vessel function and tumor growth. Cell. 2013 Mar;153(1):139-152. Pubmedid: 23540695. Pmcid: PMC3638263.
- Liu JK, Soliman H, Machado A, Deogaonkar M, Rezai AR. Intracranial hemorrhage after removal of deep brain stimulation electrodes. J Neurosurg. 2012 Mar;116(3):525-528. Pubmedid: 22136644.
- Bidros DS, Liu JK, Vogelbaum MA. Future of convection-enhanced delivery in the treatment of brain tumors. Future Oncol. 2010 Jan;6(1):117-125. Pubmedid: 20021213.
- Moskowitz SI, Liu J, Krishnaney AA. Postoperative complications associated with dural substitutes in suboccipital craniotomies. Neurosurgery. 2009 Mar;64(3 Suppl):ons28-ons33. Pubmedid: 19240570.
- Federici T, Liu JK, Teng Q, Yang J, Boulis NM. A means for targeting therapeutics to peripheral nervous system neurons with axonal damage. Neurosurgery. 2007 May;60(5):911-918. Pubmedid: 17460527.
- Federici T, Liu JK, Teng Q, Garrity-Moses M, Yang J, Boulis NM. Neuronal affinity of a C7C loop peptide identified through phage display. J Drug Target. 2006 Jun;14(5):263-271. Pubmedid: 16882546.
- Zhao Z, Krishnaney A, Teng Q, Yang J, Garrity-Moses M, Liu JK, Venkiteswaran K, Subramanian T, Davis M, Boulis NM. Anatomically discrete functional effects of adenoviral clostridial light chain gene-based synaptic inhibition in the midbrain. Gene Ther. 2006 Jun;13(12):942-952. Pubmedid: 16511525.
- Teng Q, Tanase D, Tanase DK, Liu JK, Garrity-Moses ME, Baker KB, Boulis NM. Adenoviral clostridial light chain gene-based synaptic inhibition through neuronal synaptobrevin elimination. Gene Ther. 2005 Jan;12(2):108-119. Pubmedid: 15496959.
- Garrity-Moses ME, Teng Q, Liu J, Tanase D, Boulis NM. Neuroprotective adeno-associated virus Bcl-xL gene transfer in models of motor neuron disease. Muscle Nerve. 2005 Dec;32(6):734-744. Pubmedid: 16116646.
- Teng Q, Garrity-Moses M, Federici T, Tanase D, Liu JK, Mazarakis ND, Azzouz M, Walmsley LE, Carlton E, Boulis NM. Trophic activity of Rabies G protein-pseudotyped equine infectious anemia viral vector mediated IGF-I motor neuron gene transfer in vitro. Neurobiol Dis. 2005 Dec;20(3):694-700. Pubmedid: 16005636.
- Liu JK, Teng Q, Garrity-Moses M, Federici T, Tanase D, Imperiale MJ, Boulis NM. A novel peptide defined through phage display for therapeutic protein and vector neuronal targeting. Neurobiol Dis. 2005 Aug;19(3):407-418. Pubmedid: 16023583.
- Leung C, Lingbeek M, Shakhova O, Liu J, Tanger E, Saremaslani P, Van Lohuizen M, Marino S. Bmi1 is essential for cerebellar development and is overexpressed in human medulloblastomas. Nature. 2004 Mar;428(6980):337-341. Pubmedid: 15029199.
- Tanase K, Teng Q, Krishnaney AA, Liu JK, Garrity-Moses ME, Boulis NM. Cervical spinal cord delivery of a rabies G protein pseudotyped lentiviral vector in the SOD-1 transgenic mouse. Invited submission from the Joint Section Meeting on Disorders of the Spine and Peripheral Nerves, March 2004. J Neurosurg Spine. 2004 Jul;1(1):128-136. Pubmedid: 15291033.
- Garrity-Moses ME, Liu JK, Boulis NM. Molecular biology and gene therapy in the treatment of chronic pain. Neurosurg Clin N Am. 2003 Jul;14(3):419-435. Pubmedid: 14567143.