Find a Researcher Search
Dr. Mullinax has an active laboratory research effort focused on immunotherapy for soft tissue sarcoma. This approach strives to enhance the patient’s own immune response to cancer and has shown great promise recently for several different subtypes of sarcoma. In his laboratory effort, Dr. Mullinax is working to identify mechanisms and strategies to bring immunotherapy efforts, specifically adoptive cell therapy, to patients with advanced sarcoma.
Education & Training
- University of South Florida, MD
- University of South Florida, Resident - General Surgery
- National Cancer Institute Surgery Branch, Fellow - Surgical Oncology
- University of South Florida, Resident - General Surgery
- Moffitt Cancer Center, Fellow - Complex General Surgical Oncology
Dr. Mullinax studies the immune infiltrate in soft tissue sarcoma with the goal of developing adoptive cell therapy for patients with advanced soft tissue sarcoma. Currently, he has a large research protocol which involves the study of resected sarcoma specimens. Specialized immune cells within the tumor which have the ability to attack tumor cells, called tumor infiltrating lymphocytes (TIL), are grown from the tumor in his lab and studied. Through the study of these cells, we are understanding the underlying mechanisms of tumor-immune interaction that will be used to develop novel therapies for patients with advanced sarcoma. He is a part of a larger team at Moffitt focused on this strategy for several other tumor types and the collaboration between this team is yielding very promising results for patients. His work is currently funded by the Ocala Royal Dames, the Chotiner Family Foundation and an Interdisciplinary Mathematical Oncology (IMO) Department grant.
- Naghavi AO, Gonzalez RJ, Scott JG, Kim Y, Abuodeh YA, Strom TJ, Echevarria M, Mullinax JE, Ahmed KA, Harrison LB, Fernandez DC. Staged reconstruction brachytherapy has lower overall cost in recurrent soft-tissue sarcoma. J Contemp Brachytherapy. 2017 Feb;9(1):20-29. Pubmedid: 28344600. Pmcid: PMC5346606.
- Mullinax JE, Gonzalez RJ, Zager JS. Treatment of Soft Tissue Sarcoma: In reply to He and colleagues. J Am Coll Surg. 2017 Aug;225(2):349. Pubmedid: 28750715.
- Mullinax JE, Kroon HM, Thompson JF, Nath N, Mosca PJ, Farma JM, Bhati R, Hardmann D, Sileno S, O'Donoghue C, Perez M, Naqvi SM, Chen YA, Gonzalez RJ, Zager JS. Isolated Limb Infusion as a Limb Salvage Strategy for Locally Advanced Extremity Sarcoma. J Am Coll Surg. 2017 Apr;224(4):635-642. Pubmedid: 28214556.
- Mullinax JE, Gonzalez RJ. Management of Truncal Sarcoma. Surg Clin N Am. 2016 Oct;96(5):1003-1013. Pubmedid: 27542639.
- Hanna C, Mullinax J, Friedman MS, Sanchez J. Jejunal diverticulosis found in a patient with long-standing pneumoperitoneum and pseudo-obstruction on imaging: a case report. Gastroenterol Rep (Oxf). 2016 Nov;4(4):337-340. Pubmedid: 26220890. Pmcid: PMC5193057.
- Xin HW, Ambe CM, Miller TC, Chen JQ, Wiegand GW, Anderson AJ, Ray S, Mullinax JE, Hari DM, Koizumi T, Godbout JD, Goldsmith PK, Stojadinovic A, Rudloff U, Thorgeirsson SS, Avital I. Liver Label Retaining Cancer Cells Are Relatively Resistant to the Reported Anti-Cancer Stem Cell Drug Metformin. J Cancer. 2016 Jun;7(9):1142-1151. Pubmedid: 27326258. Pmcid: PMC4911882.
- Naghavi AO, Gonzalez RJ, Scott JG, Mullinax JE, Abuodeh YA, Kim Y, Binitie O, Ahmed KA, Bui MM, Saini AS, Zager JS, Biagioli MC, Letson D, Harrison LB, Fernandez DC. Implications of staged reconstruction and adjuvant brachytherapy in the treatment of recurrent soft tissue sarcoma. Brachytherapy. 2016 Jul;15(4):495-503. Pubmedid: 27180128.
- Rashid OM, Mullinax JE, Pimiento JM, Meredith KL, Malafa MP. Robotic Whipple Procedure for Pancreatic Cancer: The Moffitt Cancer Center Pathway. Cancer Control. 2015 Jul;22(3):340-351. Pubmedid: 26351891.
- Rudloff U, Langan RC, Mullinax JE, Beane JD, Steinberg SM, Beresnev T, Webb CC, Walker M, Toomey MA, Schrump D, Pandalai P, Stojadinovic A, Avital I. Impact of maximal cytoreductive surgery plus regional heated intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) on outcome of patients with peritoneal carcinomatosis of gastric origin: results of the GYMSSA trial. J Surg Oncol. 2014 Sep;110(3):275-284. Pubmedid: 25042700.
- Langan RC, Gill F, Raiji MT, Mullinax JE, Pittaluga S, Pandalai P, Davis J, Perkins K, Avital I, Rudloff U. Autoimmune pancreatitis in the autoimmune lymphoproliferative syndrome (ALPS): a sheep in wolves' clothing?. Pancreas. 2013 Mar;42(2):363-366. Pubmedid: 23407489. Pmcid: PMC3573327.
- Xin HW, Ambe CM, Ray S, Kim BK, Koizumi T, Wiegand GW, Hari D, Mullinax JE, Jaiswal KR, Garfield SH, Stojadinovic A, Rudloff U, Thorgeirsson SS, Avital I. Wnt and the cancer niche: paracrine interactions with gastrointestinal cancer cells undergoing asymmetric cell division. J Cancer. 2013 Jul;4(6):447-457. Pubmedid: 23901343. Pmcid: PMC3726705.
- Xin HW, Ambe CM, Hari DM, Wiegand GW, Miller TC, Chen JQ, Anderson AJ, Ray S, Mullinax JE, Koizumi T, Langan RC, Burka D, Herrmann MA, Goldsmith PK, Stojadinovic A, Rudloff U, Thorgeirsson SS, Avital I. Label-retaining liver cancer cells are relatively resistant to sorafenib. Gut. 2013 Dec;62(12):1777-1786. Pubmedid: 23411027.
- Ray S, Langan RC, Mullinax JE, Koizumi T, Xin HW, Wiegand GW, Anderson AJ, Stojadinovic A, Thorgeirsson S, Rudloff U, Avital I. Establishment of human ultra-low passage colorectal cancer cell lines using spheroids from fresh surgical specimens suitable for in vitro and in vivo studies. J Cancer. 2012 Oct;3:196-206. Pubmedid: 22606209. Pmcid: PMC3354415.
- Langan RC, Mullinax JE, Ray S, Raiji MT, Schaub N, Xin HW, Koizumi T, Steinberg SM, Anderson A, Wiegand G, Butcher D, Anver M, Bilchik AJ, Stojadinovic A, Rudloff U, Avital I. A Pilot Study Assessing the Potential Role of non-CD133 Colorectal Cancer Stem Cells as Biomarkers. J Cancer. 2012 Oct;3:231-240. Pubmedid: 22670157. Pmcid: PMC3366478.
- Mullinax JE, Hernandez JM, Toomey P, Villadolid D, Bowers C, Cooper J, Rosemurgy AS. Survival after pancreatectomy for pancreatic adenocarcinoma is not impacted by performance status. Am J Surg. 2012 Nov;204(5):704-708. Pubmedid: 23140830.
- Xin HW, Hari DM, Mullinax JE, Ambe CM, Koizumi T, Ray S, Anderson AJ, Wiegand GW, Garfield SH, Thorgeirsson SS, Avital I. Tumor-initiating label-retaining cancer cells in human gastrointestinal cancers undergo asymmetric cell division. Stem Cells. 2012 Apr;30(4):591-598. Pubmedid: 22331764. Pmcid: PMC3492937.
- Mullinax JE, Allins A, Avital I. Laparoscopic appendectomy for Amyand's hernia: a modern approach to a historic diagnosis. J Gastrointest Surg. 2011 Mar;15(3):533-535. Pubmedid: 21069473.
- Mullinax JE, Zager JS, Gonzalez RJ. Current diagnosis and management of retroperitoneal sarcoma. Cancer Control. 2011 Jul;18(3):177-187. Pubmedid: 21666580.
- Clark W, Hernandez J, McKeon BA, Kahn A, Morton C, Toomey P, Mullinax J, Ross S, Rosemurgy A. Surgery residency training programmes have greater impact on outcomes after pancreaticoduodenectomy than hospital volume or surgeon frequency. HPB (Oxford). 2010 Feb;12(1):68-72. Pubmedid: 20495648. Pmcid: PMC2814407.
- Clark W, Hernandez J, McKeon B, Villadolid D, Al-Saadi S, Mullinax J, Ross SB, Rosemurgy AS. Surgical shunting versus transjugular intrahepatic portasystemic shunting for bleeding varices resulting from portal hypertension and cirrhosis: a meta-analysis. Am Surg. 2010 Aug;76(8):857-864. Pubmedid: 20726417.
- Hernandez J, Morton C, Clark W, Mullinax J, Mathur A, Marcadis A, Babel N, Ross S, Goldin S, Rosemurgy A. Pancreaticoduodenectomy for suspected periampullary cancers: the mimes of malignancy. HPB (Oxford). 2009 Nov;11(7):578-584. Pubmedid: 20495710. Pmcid: PMC2785953.
- Hernandez J, Mullinax J, Clark W, Toomey P, Villadolid D, Morton C, Ross S, Rosemurgy A. Survival after pancreaticoduodenectomy is not improved by extending resections to achieve negative margins. Ann Surg. 2009 Jul;250(1):76-80. Pubmedid: 19561479.
- Hernandez J, Cowgill SM, Al-Saadi S, Villadolid D, Ross S, Kraemer E, Shapiro M, Mullinax J, Cooper J, Goldin S, Zervos E, Rosemurgy A. An aggressive approach to extrahepatic cholangiocarcinomas is warranted: margin status does not impact survival after resection. Ann Surg Oncol. 2008 Mar;15(3):807-814. Pubmedid: 18181000.