Moffitt Notice of Blackbaud Data Incident. Learn More
Find a Researcher
Blaise Mooney, MD
Academic Rank: Associate Member
My personal research goals are to improve breast imaging sensitivity and specificity in younger and high-risk populations in order to provide early diagnosis of breast cancer.
- Diagnostic Imaging and Interventional Radiology
- Cancer Imaging and Technology
Education & Training
- Diagnostic Radiology
- University of South Florida Morsani College of Medicine, MD -
- University of South Florida Morsani College of Medicine, Resident - Diagnostic Radiology
- St. Joseph's Women's Hospital, - Breast Imaging
I am currently examining the heterogeneous appearance on MRI of breast cancer so that we can predict tumor receptor status. This information will ultimately predict tumor response to chemotherapy intervention and propensity for distal metastasis. In addition to this project, I have published articles on differentiating fat necrosis from recurrent tumor and a book chapter on surveillance imaging following a diagnosis of breast cancer.
- Weinfurtner RJ, Mooney B, Forbus J. Specialized Second Opinion Review of Breast MRI Impacts Management and Increases Cancer Detection. J Am Coll Radiol. 2019 Jul.16(7):922-927. Pubmedid: 30833163.
- Falcon S, Weinfurtner RJ, Mooney B, Niell BL. SAVI SCOUT® localization of breast lesions as a practical alternative to wires: Outcomes and suggestions for trouble-shooting. Clin Imaging. 2019 Jan.52:280-286. Pubmedid: 30193186.
- Li F, Glinskii OV, Mooney BP, Rittenhouse-Olson K, Pienta KJ, Glinsky VV. Cell surface Thomsen-Friedenreich proteome profiling of metastatic prostate cancer cells reveals potential link with cancer stem cell-like phenotype. Oncotarget. 2017 Nov.8(58):98598-98608. Pubmedid: 29228713. Pmcid: PMC5716753.
- Mattingly AE, Mooney B, Lin HY, Kiluk JV, Khakpour N, Hoover SJ, Laronga C, Lee MC. Magnetic Resonance Imaging for Axillary Breast Cancer Metastasis in the Neoadjuvant Setting: A Prospective Study. Clin Breast Cancer. 2017 Jun.17(3):180-187. Pubmedid: 27956116.
- González SJ, Mooney B, Lin HY, Zhao X, Kiluk JV, Khakpour N, Laronga C, Lee MC. 2-D and 3-D Ultrasound for Tumor Volume Analysis: A Prospective Study. Ultrasound Med Biol. 2017 Apr.43(4):775-781. Pubmedid: 28187928.
- Lee MC, Gonzalez SJ, Lin H, Zhao X, Kiluk JV, Laronga C, Mooney B. Prospective trial of breast MRI versus 2D and 3D ultrasound for evaluation of response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy. Ann Surg Oncol. 2015 Sep.22(9):2888-2894. Pubmedid: 25589151.
- Weinfurtner RJ, Patel B, Laronga C, Lee MC, Falcon SL, Mooney BP, Yue B, Drukteinis JS. Magnetic resonance imaging-guided core needle breast biopsies resulting in high-risk histopathologic findings: upstage frequency and lesion characteristics. Clin Breast Cancer. 2015 Jun.15(3):234-239. Pubmedid: 25579460.
- Adams MC, Falcon S, Mooney BP, Laronga C, Chau A, Drukteinis JS. Short-term imaging follow-up of patients with concordant benign breast core needle biopsies: is it really worth it?. Diagn Interv Radiol. 2014 Nov.20(6):464-469. Pubmedid: 25205024. Pmcid: PMC4463290.
- Drukteinis JS, Mooney BP, Flowers CI, Gatenby RA. Beyond mammography: new frontiers in breast cancer screening. Am J Med. 2013 Jun.126(6):472-479. Pubmedid: 23561631. Pmcid: PMC4010151.
- Parikh RP, Doren EL, Mooney B, Sun WV, Laronga C, Smith PD. Differentiating fat necrosis from recurrent malignancy in fat-grafted breasts: an imaging classification system to guide management. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2012 Oct.130(4):761-772. Pubmedid: 23018689.
- Flowers CI, Mooney BP, Drukteinis JS. Clinical and imaging surveillance following breast cancer diagnosis. Am Soc Clin Oncol Educ Book. 2012 Jan.59-64. Pubmedid: 24451710.