Moffitt Notice of Blackbaud Data Incident. Learn More
Cervical Cancer Treatment for Patients From St. Petersburg, FL
Many patients in St. Petersburg, Florida, seek cervical cancer treatment at Moffitt Cancer Center, located just across the bay in Tampa. The multispecialty team within our gynecological clinic represents some of the most experienced and skilled medical professionals in the field. This team meets regularly as a tumor board to review each case and develop an individualized treatment plan to help each patient achieve a successful outcome and better quality of life.
At Moffitt, our physicians will recommend a treatment plan based on the stage and location of the cancer, as well as the patient’s general health. Cervical cancer treatment may involve chemotherapy, radiation therapy, surgery or a combination of these treatments. Chemotherapy may be a systemic treatment that’s delivered orally or through an injection, or it may be a regional treatment, placed close to the area where the cancer cells are located. Radiation therapy may be delivered externally using a machine or internally by placing a radiation source directly at the site of the cancer.
Moffitt also provides innovative surgical options, including robotic-assisted, minimally invasive surgery using Moffitt’s da Vinci® Surgical System. Some surgical procedures commonly performed at Moffitt include:
- Laser surgery – Tumors and other surface lesions are removed using a laser beam.
- Conization (cone biopsy) – A cone-shaped piece of tissue is removed from the cervical area for further evaluation.
- Trachelectomy – The cervix and upper portion of the vagina are removed.
- Total hysterectomy – The uterus and cervix are removed.
- Unilateral salpingo-oophorectomy – The ovary and fallopian tube on one side of the body are removed.
- Bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy – Both ovaries and fallopian tubes are removed.
- Radical hysterectomy – The uterus, cervix and part of the vagina are removed. In some cases, the fallopian tubes, ovaries, and nearby lymph nodes may also be removed.
- Pelvic exenteration – The cervix, vagina, ovaries, lower colon, rectum, bladder and nearby lymph nodes are removed.
Along with our many different treatment options for cervical cancer, Moffitt also offers supportive care services under the same roof. This includes any therapy and postoperative care required during the recovery process, providing exceptional convenience for both local patients and those traveling from out-of-town areas like St. Petersburg, FL.
To learn more about receiving cervical cancer treatment at Moffitt Cancer Center, fill out a new patient registration form or call 1-888-663-3488. We welcome patients from St. Petersburg, FL, and do not require a referral to schedule an appointment.