COVID-19 Safety Precautions: Find the Latest Visitor and Mask Policies. Learn More
Rectal Cancer Surgery Just A Short Drive Away from Orlando FL
Surgery is often a crucial component of rectal cancer treatment. Removing part or all of the tumor can not only help improve a patient’s prognosis, but also his or her quality of life. At Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, just a short drive away from Orlando, FL, each patient receives an individualized treatment plan that takes into account a number of important considerations. Our team evaluates the size, stage and location of a tumor, as well as the microscopic characteristics of the cells and the patient’s personal preferences, to determine the most promising approach to rectal cancer surgery in each unique situation.
At Moffitt, we utilize some of the latest surgical technologies and techniques, and also have an unparalleled body of experience in regards to rectal cancer surgery. Because we are a high-volume cancer center, our surgeons treat a high number of patients each year and have accumulated a significant amount of expertise with the following rectal cancer procedures:
- Partial colectomies, in which part of the color is removed and the remaining parts are rejoined
- Total abdominal colectomies, in which the entire large intestine is removed
- Ileocolectomies, in which the ileum (the last part of the small intestine) and the right side of the colon are removed
- Proctosigmoidectomies, in which the parts of the rectum and sigmoid colon in which the tumor has developed are removed
- Abdominoperineal resections, in which the sigmoid colon, rectum and anus are removed
- Total proctocolectomies, in which the colon, rectum and parts of the anus are removed
- Transanal endoscopic microsurgeries, in which small, early stage cancers and precancerous polyps (along with the surrounding lymph nodes, if necessary) are removed through the rectum
We understand that traveling from Orlando for rectal cancer surgery can be a challenge, but are committed to making the experience as easy as possible for each patient. We can help our patients find clean and convenient accommodations near our location, and we never require that patients obtain referrals to meet with our oncologists. The advantages of receiving treatment at Moffitt are well worthwhile, as our rectal cancer survival rates routinely exceed national averages. Additionally, we help each patient improve his or her quality of life, offering a comprehensive range of supportive care services and recommending treatments that have caused the fewest side effects during clinical trials.