Kidney Cancer Surgery Information for Patients from St. Petersburg, FL
For patients with kidney cancer, surgery is often recommended as part of treatment. At Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, conveniently located across the bridge from St. Petersburg, Florida, our highly experienced surgeons offer the latest and most advanced surgical procedures. Their skills and expertise have helped improve outcomes for countless patients with kidney cancer, enabling them to enjoy a better quality of life.
Patients who seek kidney cancer surgery or other forms of treatment at Moffitt Cancer Center benefit from our collaborative approach to treatment. A multispecialty team of cancer experts in our Urologic Oncology Program meets regularly as a tumor board to discuss each new patient’s case and develop an individualized treatment plan. This plan takes into account many different factors, including the location and stage of the cancer, as well as the patient’s overall health. The tumor board may recommend any of the following types of kidney cancer surgery:
- Open partial nephrectomy – Surgeons use a standard incision to remove part of the kidney.
- Laparoscopic partial nephrectomy – Surgeons use a series of small, minimally invasive incisions to remove part of the kidney.
- Open radical nephrectomy – Surgeons use a standard incision to remove the entire kidney and any surrounding tissue affected by cancer.
- Laparoscopic radical nephrectomy – Surgeons use a series of small, minimally invasive incisions to remove the entire kidney and any affected surrounding tissue.
- Arterial embolization – Surgeons inject particles into an artery to block it from feeding a tumor, which can slow growth and help ease symptoms.
For the convenience of our patients, we offer comprehensive cancer treatment services under the same roof, as well as any necessary screenings, lab tests and supportive care services. Patients traveling from St. Petersburg, FL, or other out-of-town areas can also receive assistance finding local accommodations that meet our high standards for hygiene control.
Patients from St. Petersburg, FL, are welcome to learn more about kidney cancer surgery at Moffitt Cancer Center and may fill out a new patient registration form or call 1-888-MOFFITT. No referral is necessary to schedule an appointment.