Colon cancer surgery is typically the main form of treatment for cancers that develop within the colon or rectum (the end of the colon). In most cases, a surgeon can remove the primary tumor and, if affected, nearby lymph nodes and other tissues and organs. Residents of Fort Myers and Naples, Florida, can receive comprehensive colon cancer treatment and support in a single location at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa. As a National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center, Moffitt has received national recognition for its research breakthroughs, and we offer our patients opportunities to access promising new treatments, including innovative colon cancer surgery techniques, through our acclaimed clinical trial program.
The tumor board of experts at Moffitt takes a highly focused, collaborative approach to fully meet the needs of our colon cancer patients. Following a thorough review of a patient’s case, this multispecialty team can determine the optimal course of treatment. Depending on a patient’s needs, any of several colon cancer surgery approaches may be recommended. For instance, our surgeons are skilled in performing many advanced procedures, including laparoscopic colon resection, anal sphincter-preserving surgery, radiofrequency ablation and cryosurgery, as well as the following types of colon cancer surgery:
- Transanal endoscopic microsurgery – Removal of precancerous rectal polyps and early-stage rectal cancers
- Partial colectomy – Removal of the part of the colon that is affected by cancer
- Ileocolectomy – Removal of the ileum (the last segment of the small intestine) and the right side of the colon
- Total abdominal colectomy – Removal of the entire colon
- Proctosigmoidectomy – Removal of cancerous sections of the rectum and the sigmoid colon (the last segment of the colon)
- Abdominoperineal resection – Removal of the sigmoid colon, rectum and anus
- Total proctocolectomy – Removal of the colon, rectum and anus
At Moffitt, we understand that a patient who is facing a colon cancer diagnosis and the possibility of surgery may feel overwhelmed. Other challenges, such as having to miss work or arrange for child care, can further complicate the situation. In light of this, some patients might dismiss the prospect of traveling to Moffitt from the Fort Myers and Naples, FL, areas as an additional – and unnecessary – burden. But, choosing a treatment center is a decision of great consequence in the fight against cancer, and a patient should not settle for anything less than the best. To help ensure that all patients have access to outstanding treatment, Moffitt offers numerous supportive services that are specifically geared toward our out-of-town patients. For instance, we can provide information on excellent and affordable accommodations located nearby.
Patients from Fort Myers and Naples, FL, who would like to explore their options for colon cancer surgery at Moffitt can call 1-888-663-3488 or complete a new patient registration form online. We do not require referrals.