Information on Bladder Cancer Risk Factors for Residents of Clearwater, FL
Understanding the risk factors associated with developing bladder cancer can help individuals stay proactive about their health. Research has identified several traits that increase the likelihood of being diagnosed with bladder cancer. However, it is important to note that some individuals with risk factors will never get bladder cancer and others without risk factors may still develop cancer. Residents of Clearwater, Florida, who are concerned about their individual risk can find the latest screening and treatment services at Moffitt Cancer Center, located close by in Tampa.
At Moffitt, the multispecialty team that makes up our Urologic Oncology Program is dedicated to advancing research, screening and treatment options for individuals with bladder cancer. Some of the risk factors associated with this cancer include:
- Tobacco use – Individuals who smoke are much more likely to develop bladder cancer than non-smokers.
- Exposure to certain chemicals – Prolonged exposure to chemicals, such as those found in hairdressing supplies, dyes and textiles, can increase the risk of bladder cancer.
- Being an older male – The majority of individuals with bladder cancer are men over the age of 55.
- Genetic predisposition – Some genetic factors and inherited birth defects can increase the likelihood of bladder cancer.
- Bladder irritation – Individuals with a history of kidney or bladder stones, urinary tract infections or previous urothelial cancers are more likely to develop bladder cancer.
Moffitt welcomes individuals from Clearwater, FL, who would like to learn more about their individual risk. We offer advanced screening techniques that can help detect bladder cancer early. Additionally, patients who have been diagnosed with cancer have access to a wide range of treatment and supportive care services in a single, convenient location. Our multispecialty team works together as a tumor board to ensure each patient receives individual attention and a treatment plan tailored to meet his or her needs.
Patients from Clearwater, FL, who would like to discuss their individual bladder cancer risk factors with a Moffitt physician can call 1-888-663-3488 or fill out a new patient registration form online. No referral is required.