Notice to Our Patients Regarding a Stolen Briefcase. Learn More
Your Senior Adult Oncology Specialists
Most cancer cases in the United States affect seniors, including individuals who are age 70 or older. While facing a cancer diagnosis can be difficult at any age, many senior adults encounter a unique set of challenges during cancer treatment. The Senior Adult Oncology Program at Moffitt Cancer Center was specifically established to help our patients meet and overcome those challenges. As a nationally recognized leader in the diagnosis and treatment of all forms of cancer, Moffitt offers world-class diagnostic and treatment options, and we’ve helped many senior adult patients fight and ultimately beat cancer.
Moffitt’s multispecialty team has extensive experience in working with senior adults. Our highly focused medical professionals include geriatricians (physicians who specialize in treating senior adults), medical oncologists, geriatric oncologists, surgical oncologists, radiation oncologists, geriatric oncology nurse practitioners, dietitians, pharmacists and supportive care specialists. Working closely with each patient, we begin with a comprehensive assessment to identify any cancer- or age-related issues that could potentially affect treatment. Our comprehensive process includes:
- Screening for other health conditions, such as cardiovascular disease, osteoporosis, diabetes, anemia, malnutrition, depression and dementia, which are common in older adults and can influence the outcome of various cancer treatments
- Developing a comprehensive, individualized treatment plan with input from multiple experts
- Evaluating the use of medications, including prescription drugs, over-the-counter remedies, vitamins and herbal supplements, to identify possible drug interactions or issues that chemotherapy and other cancer treatment medications could present
- Reviewing a patient’s nutritional status and providing advice on how to optimize it during cancer treatment and beyond
- Recommending pain management therapies and other supportive care strategies as necessary to control the symptoms of cancer and the side effects of treatment
- Providing counseling and support throughout the treatment process
- Presenting opportunities to share experiences with and learn from others who are facing similar situations
Moffitt’s Senior Adult Oncology Program has two main goals: to educate our patients so that they can make fully informed healthcare decisions, and to provide them with opportunities to access the treatments and services they need to achieve the best possible outcomes and quality of life. Simply put, it’s cancer treatment tailored to your health.
If you’d like to learn more about our Senior Adult Oncology Program, contact Moffitt Cancer Center by calling 1-888-663-3488 or completing a new patient registration form online. We do not require referrals, but we can coordinate your treatment with any other providers as appropriate.