At Moffitt Cancer Center, an X-ray may be performed to help diagnose or stage a cancerous growth, or to determine how well a tumor is responding to treatment. These fast, painless imaging scans use electromagnetic radiation to produce a two-dimensional image of the inside of the body, which a patient’s oncologist can use to identify or track an unusual growth. Although cancer cannot be diagnosed through an X-ray alone, an X-ray’s results can indicate whether additional testing (e.g., a biopsy) may be necessary.
Typically, oncologists may order an X-ray if:
- They need to check for a fluid build-up in the chest cavity or abdominal cavity, a complication that can be a symptom of certain cancers
- They believe cancer may be present in a particular region of the body, such as the chest or pelvis
- They have already found a tumor in a specific organ, but believe it might have metastasized to the bones or the brain
- They need to see if a tumor has gotten smaller (or larger) during treatment
- They believe that interventional radiology (a specialty that uses X-rays and other imaging techniques to guide minimally invasive therapies) is the best form of treatment
At Moffitt, our X-rays are performed on-site by licensed technologists with advanced registration in their specialty, and the results are analyzed by a team of experienced, board-certified radiologists. If a patient’s X-ray suggests that cancer might be present or that an established tumor is not responding to therapy, a multispecialty tumor board will help determine the best course of action.
We currently offer X-rays at three convenient locations, including:
Moffitt Cancer Center
12902 USF Magnolia Drive, Tampa, FL 33612
Monday – Friday | 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Inpatient: 24 hours per day including weekend and holidays
Moffitt Cancer Center at International Plaza
4101 Jim Walter Blvd., Tampa, FL 33607
Monday – Friday | 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Moffitt McKinley Outpatient Center
10920 N. McKinley Drive, Tampa, FL 33612
Monday – Friday | 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
To learn more about the X-ray technology offered at Moffitt Cancer Center, call 1-888-663-3488 or request an appointment online.