Congratulations to Moffitt Healthy KIDZ 2019 Role Model Scholarship Winners!
Zachary Brown, Vain Baltimore, Jillian Gordy, Joslyn Smith, Zaire Johnson, Lance Trejo, Madyson Winters, Jose Valerino, Megan Simonelli, Aubrey Mys and Zoe Antoinette were each awarded a $2,000 scholarship. Moffitt was fortunate to have strong community support. Tampa Bay Times, Ernest Hooper and Brandon Baylor of ABC Action News emceed the Role Model Awards with a special guest appearance by Mayor Jane Castor.
The scholarships were presented by business and civic leaders: Yvette Tremonti, Chief Financial & Administrative Officer, Moffitt Cancer Center; Jeff Eakins, Superintendent, Hillsborough County Public Schools; Lauren Holtkamp, Professional Basketball Referee, National Basketball Association and husband Jonathan Sterling Professional Basketball Referee, National Basketball Association; Sr. Master Sergeant Zachary P. Silvis, United States Air Force, MacDill Air Force Base; Major Dennis Fogarty, Hillsborough County Sheriff’s office; Angela Blaylock, Community Relations, Simply Healthcare; B. Lee Green, PhD., Vice President, Moffitt Diversity, Community Relations & Strategic Communications; Nikki Ross Inda, Community Relations Coordinator, Strategic Communications.
When asked how he felt about winning this scholarship, recipient Lance Trejo commented, "I am a first-generation college student. I feel honored and a strong sense of responsibility. I am incredibly thankful to Moffitt."
Those sentiments are echoed by Moffitt’s community relations coordinator and program founder Nikki Ross Inda, “We are very proud to be able to offer this program to youth in the greater Tampa Bay area. As role models, we are excited to lead by example. These young people are a source of pride and inspiration to the cancer center and there is no doubt they are on their way to continued success in college and beyond.”
Moffitt Healthy KIDZ is a community outreach program offered by Moffitt Cancer Center for children and adolescents of all ages focusing on cancer prevention, healthy living and positive life choices. The Healthy KIDZ motto "prevention starts early" is consistent with Moffitt's mission, to contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer. The Healthy KIDZ culture of inclusion welcomes youth from diverse backgrounds and is supported by essential healthy lifestyle opportunities through robust programming and education for the mind and body. The program focuses on several themes including:
- Sun Safety
- Dangers of Tobacco
- The Arts
- STEM - Careers in healthcare
Three things you can do to be healthy, strong and do great in school:
- Eat 10 fruits and vegetables per day.
- Half of your plate at breakfast, lunch and dinner should contain vegetables and fruits.
- This can also include a cup of your favorite fruit or vegetable or a mixed juice.
- Try at least one new vegetable or fruit each month.
- Best drinks for you:
- You should drink two-three cups of milk per day and also include fruit or plain yogurts.
- Stay away from sugary drinks. Drink water instead.
- Flavor your water with a splash of cherry or another one of your favorite fruit juices if you like.
- Keep moving.
- Find ways to exercise and be active for at least one hour per day like walking to school, riding your bike, or playing a sport with friends.
Discover How Harmful Tobacco is to Your Body and the Environment
The Moffitt Healthy KIDZ Program offers interactive and fun educational programs with a holistic approach to learning. Signature programs include:
- STEM Careers in Healthcare: Moffitt offers campus tours for middle and high school students who are interested in pursuing careers related to science or other professions within a hospital setting.
- Moffitt Healthy KIDZ and Athletics: Collaborative partnerships with area athletic organizations offer students insight into potential career opportunities after sports.
- HEART a Science Teacher: Teachers and administrators visit Moffitt for a half-day seminar to learn from a variety of experts including physicians, researchers and supportive care departments.
- Moffitt Healthy KIDZ STEM Role Model Awards: The annual prestigious awards and recognition program for outstanding students, educators and leaders.
Over 10,000 students have signed the Moffitt Healthy KIDZ Tobacco Free Pledge card. Take the pledge! Download the Tobacco Free Pledge Card
Interested in Learning More?
Be a part of a lifetime of discoveries. For more information on the Moffitt Healthy KIDZ Program, please contact HealthyKIDZ@Moffitt.org.