The mission of the Survey Methods Core (SMC) is to provide assistance to Moffitt Cancer Center members with survey research design, implementation, and execution. Survey methods are a vital tool in cancer prevention, detection, and control research and are increasingly used in clinical investigations of new cancer therapies. The Survey Methods Core was developed to aid Cancer Center members with the translation of study goals into the selection and/or design of specific survey data collection instruments and procedures.
- Assist with the selection of published survey instruments or the development of new, study-specific items or surveys
- Selection of format and schedule of survey administration
- Assessing various interviewing techniques and respondent incentives
- Testing recall, comprehension, and alternative wording for survey items/ instruments
- Comparing data collection modalities
- Training for cognitive interviewing techniques (focus groups, group interviews, cognitive de-briefing and learner verification techniques)
Survey Production & Processing
- Paper Survey Design & Processing
- The Core uses Teleform, a high-accuracy, content capture system for automatically processing paper-based forms and document content.
- Design surveys in scannable form
- Conduct the scanning and verification of completed surveys
- Eliminates need for hand-entry of data
- Web-based Survey Design
- The Core uses Qualtrics to develop web surveys
- Extensive variety of question types including interactive formatting
- Embed video or audio clips
- Complex skip and display logic
- Customized email invitations
- Mobile/tablet accessibility
- Telephone Interviewing
- Use the Qualtrics system to design surveys to administer to participants via telephone
- Conduct phone interviews
- Bi-lingual staff available for surveys administered to Spanish-speaking participants
The SMC is located in the Moffitt Research Center (MRC) on the 2nd floor.
The SMC uses a Laboratory Information Management Suite (LIMS) located on the Moffittnet for billing and usage tracking.
All publications based on work conducted in the Survey Methods Core should acknowledge the facility. A suggested statement is as follows:
This work has been supported in part by the Survey Methods Core at the H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center & Research Institute, a comprehensive cancer center designated by the National Cancer Institute.
If a Core Staff member(s) significantly contributes or participates in a project, investigators are encouraged to consider including the individual(s) in the list of authors.
Gwendolyn Quinn, PhD Gwen.Quinn@Moffitt.org 813-745-1359
Core Facility Coordinator
Kristin Tillery Kristin.Tillery@moffitt.org 813-745-6282