The overall goal of the Biostatistics Core (BC) is to provide statistical design and analysis expertise supporting the research efforts of Moffitt Cancer Center (MCC) members. Service begins with analytical design and determination of sample size (e.g., grant and clinical trial submissions), leading to project conduct, monitoring of accumulating research data on active projects, data quality evaluation, statistical analysis, and manuscript development. The BC provides key quantitative analytical results, including tables, figures, and scientific conclusions. Faculty biostatisticians provide education and training in biostatistics, participate actively in the Scientific Review Committees (SRC) and Protocol Review & Monitoring Committee (PRMC), and serve as reviewers for internal grant applications.
- The BC supports project developmentand analytical planning for clinical protocols and research studies including determining sample size, performing power analysis, and assisting grant development.
- Clinical trial randomization, data collection monitoring, and data quality evaluation.
- The BC provides statistical analysis for a full range of studies, including clinical trials, pre-clinical and animal studies, correlative science studies, observational and epidemiological studies, gene microarrays, tissue microarrays, SNPs, biomarkers, proteomics, retrospective reviews, group randomized trials, and behavioral intervention trials.
- Reporting and Summarization
- The BC prepares and/or reviews the analytical aspects of reports, abstracts, conference presentations, and manuscripts, including methods sections, tables, and figures.
- BC continually advances the latest statistical methods, through implementation of new techniques developed internally or externally. This includes teaching short courses in statistical analysis for cancer researchers.
- Sample Size Calculation: PASS, nQuery Advisor, StatXact, SAS
- Analysis: SAS, R, Matlab, StatXact, LogXact, SPSS, Mplus, SOLAS, IRTPRO, Stata, MARS
Statistical Expertise includes:
Advanced Clinical Trial Methods Gene Expression Analysis
SNP Analysis Gene Mutation Analysis
Proteomics Imaging Analysis/Radiomics
Microbiome Studies Biomarker Analysis
Advanced Survival Analysis Latent Growth Curve Models
Structural Equation Modeling Multiple Imputation
The BC is located in the Moffitt Research Center (MRC) on the 2nd, Room 263.
The BC uses a Laboratory Information Management Suite (LIMS) located on the Moffittnet for billing and usage tracking.
All publications based on work conducted in the Biostatistics Core should acknowledge the facility. A suggested statement is as follows:
This work has been supported in part by the Biostatistics Core at the H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center & Research Institute, a comprehensive cancer center designated by the National Cancer Institute.
If a Core Staff member(s) significantly contributes or participates in a project, investigators are encouraged to consider including the individual(s) in the list of authors.
Michael Schell, PhD - firstname.lastname@example.org
Core Facility Manager
Richard Reich, PhD - email@example.com