Find a Researcher Search
- Radiation Oncology
Education & Training
- Vanderbilt University, MD, PhD - MSTP Program
- H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center/USF, Resident - Radiation Oncology
Dr. Kim's research program is divided into two main themes, cancer immunology and cancer genomics. The research focus in cancer immunology is to discover the impact of ionizing radiation on the epigenetic machinery on tumor cells and immune cells, and how this translates into immune tolerance. In particular, Dr. Kim focuses on HDAC6 as a potential mediator of tolerogenic tumor microenvironment. His research in cancer genomics is to develop molecular biomarkers to predict recurrence patterns in early stage lung cancer. He is working on validation of the genomic biomarker that predicts distant metastasis among patients with stage I adenocarcinoma of the lung. Further understanding the molecular basis of the biomarker predicts distant metastasis will reveal mechanisms of cancer metastasis, and potentially unravel new drug targets. Interestingly a subgroup of genes involved in this biomarker is immune genes. Because evasion of immune surveillance is key to cancer progression, Dr. Kim's scientific focus is on biologic basis of immune evasion mediated by these genes.
- Caudell JJ, Torres-Roca JF, Gillies RJ, Enderling H, Kim S, Rishi A, Moros EG, Harrison LB. The future of personalised radiotherapy for head and neck cancer. Lancet Oncol. 2017 May;18(5):e266-e273. Pubmedid: 28456586.
- Ahmed KA, Grass GD, Creelan B, Gray J, Kim S, Dilling TJ, Antonia SJ, Perez BA. Tolerability and Safety of Thoracic Radiation and Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors Among Patients with Lung Cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2017 May;98(1):224. Pubmedid: 28586976.
- Ahmed KA, Kim S, Arrington J, Naghavi AO, Dilling TJ, Creelan BC, Antonia SJ, Caudell JJ, Harrison LB, Sahebjam S, Gray JE, Etame AB, Johnstone PA, Yu M, Perez BA. Outcomes targeting the PD-1/PD-L1 axis in conjunction with stereotactic radiation for patients with non-small cell lung cancer brain metastases. J Neurooncol. 2017 Jun;133(2):331-338. Pubmedid: 28466250.
- Ahmed KA, Kim S, Harrison LB. Novel Opportunities to Use Radiation Therapy with Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors for Melanoma Management. Surg Oncol Clin N Am. 2017 Jul;26(3):515-529. Pubmedid: 28576186.
- Strom T, Naghavi AO, Messina JL, Kim S, Torres-Roca JF, Russell J, Sondak VK, Padhya TA, Trotti AM, Caudell JJ, Harrison LB. Improved local and regional control with radiotherapy for Merkel cell carcinoma of the head and neck. Head Neck. 2017 Jan;39(1):48-55. Pubmedid: 27300153.
- Abuodeh Y, Ahmed K, Echevarria M, Naghavi A, Grass GD, Robinson TJ, Tomblyn M, Shah B, Chavez J, Bello C, El-Haddad G, Harrison L, Kim S. Priming radioimmunotherapy with external beam radiation in patients with relapsed low grade non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Ther Adv Hematol. 2017 Apr;8(4):129-138. Pubmedid: 28491264. Pmcid: PMC5405899.
- Strom T, Carr M, Zager JS, Naghavi A, Smith FO, Cruse CW, Messina JL, Russell J, Rao NG, Fulp W, Kim S, Torres-Roca JF, Padhya TA, Sondak VK, Trotti AM, Harrison LB, Caudell JJ. Radiation Therapy is Associated with Improved Outcomes in Merkel Cell Carcinoma. Ann Surg Oncol. 2016 Oct;23(11):3572-3578. Pubmedid: 27251134.
- Naghavi A, Johnstone P, Kim S. Clinical trials exploring the benefit of immunotherapy and radiation in cancer treatment: A review of the past and a look into the future. Curr Prob Cancer. 2016 Jan;40(1):38-67. Pubmedid: 26656977.
- Abuodeh Y, Venkat P, Kim S. Systematic review of case reports on the abscopal effect. Curr Prob Cancer. 2016 Dec;40(1):25-37. Pubmedid: 26582738.
- Ahmed KA, Abuodeh YA, Echevarria MI, Arrington JA, Stallworth DG, Hogue C, Naghavi AO, Kim S, Kim Y, Patel BG, Sarangkasiri S, Johnstone PA, Sahebjam S, Khushalani NI, Forsyth PA, Harrison LB, Yu M, Etame AB, Caudell JJ. Clinical outcomes of melanoma brain metastases treated with stereotactic radiosurgery and anti-PD-1 therapy, anti-CTLA-4 therapy, BRAF/MEK inhibitors, BRAF inhibitor, or conventional chemotherapy. Ann Oncol. 2016 Dec;27(12):2288-2294. Pubmedid: 27637745.
- Grass GD, Krishna N, Kim S. The immune mechanisms of abscopal effect in radiation therapy. Curr Prob Cancer. 2016 Dec;40(1):10-24. Pubmedid: 26612692.
- Kim S, Ramakrishnan R, Lavilla-Alonso S, Chinnaiyan P, Rao N, Fowler E, Heine J, Gabrilovich DI. Radiation-induced autophagy potentiates immunotherapy of cancer via up-regulation of mannose 6-phosphate receptor on tumor cells in mice. Cancer Immunol Immun. 2014 Oct;63(10):1009-1021. Pubmedid: 24943275. Pmcid: PMC4330093.
- Dilling TJ, Extermann M, Kim J, Thompson LM, Yue B, Stevens CW, Antonia S, Gray J, Williams C, Haura E, Pinder-Schenck M, Tanvetyanon T, Kim S, Chiappori A. Phase 2 study of concurrent cetuximab plus definitive thoracic radiation therapy followed by consolidation docetaxel plus cetuximab in poor prognosis or elderly patients with locally advanced non-small cell lung cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2014 Nov;90(4):828-833. Pubmedid: 25216856.