Find a Doctor
Cancer Focus: Pancoast Tumor , Thymoma , Lung Cancer , Mesothelioma
Dr. Viswam S. Nair MD, MS is an Assistant Professor in the Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care, and Sleep Medicine within the Department of Internal Medicine at the University of South Florida and Section Chief of Pulmonary at Moffitt Cancer Center. He specializes in the care and treatment of patients with pulmonary disease, solitary pulmonary nodules, and lung cancer in the outpatient, inpatient and high acuity units of the center. Dr. Nair was recruited from the Stanford School of Medicine in 2017 with a mission for the Moffitt pulmonary group to deliver 1) exceptional and leading edge care and 2) to develop new techniques for delivering this care through biomedical research. He currently maintains an active clinical research laboratory on-site at USF next to Moffitt Cancer Center that is involved with collaborators intramurally at Moffitt Cancer Center and USF as well as nationally with other leading academic centers. His current research interests focus on integrating clinical imaging and non-invasive biomarkers to develop new, improved diagnostic models for personalizing medicine in lung cancer patients, understanding the current limitations of “omics” and biomarker studies in clinical practice and identifying and reducing health disparities for patients at risk for lung cancer. Dr. Nair received his B.A. degree in Chemistry cum laude in 1998 from the University of Pennsylvania and his Doctor of Medicine degree from the Ohio State University College of Medicine and Public Health in 2004. He completed his residency training in internal medicine in 2007 at Santa Clara Valley Medical Center in San Jose, CA followed by his fellowship training in Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine at Stanford Hospitals and Clinics in 2010. Following clinical fellowship, he received a master’s degree in Clinical Epidemiology from Stanford University and was Pulmonary faculty at Stanford University School of Medicine from 2012-2017 where we was a member of the Canary Center at Stanford for Cancer Early Detection, Assistant Director of the Lung Cancer Screening Program, and Co-Director of the Stanford Nodule Assessment Program. Nationally, Dr. Nair is a recognized expert and author of multiple high profile papers in biomarker research in lung cancer. He currently sits on the American Thoracic Society’s Thoracic Oncology Assembly Program and Planning Committees and has mentored multiple clinical trainees in the study and clinical care of lung cancer patients.
Education & Training
- Pulmonary Disease
- Critical Care Medicine
- Stanford University Medical Center - Pulmonary & Critical Care Medicine
- Santa Clara Valley Medical Center - Internal Medicine
- Ohio State University College of Medicine - MD
- Mattonen SA, Davidzon GA, Benson J, Leung ANC, Vasanawala M, Horng G, Shrager JB, Napel S, Nair VS. Bone Marrow and Tumor Radiomics at F-FDG PET/CT: Impact on Outcome Prediction in Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. Radiology. 2019 Sep.293(2):451-459. Pubmedid: 31526257. Pmcid: PMC6822770.
- Mattonen SA, Davidzon GA, Bakr S, Echegaray S, Leung ANC, Vasanawala M, Horng G, Napel S, Nair VS. [18F] FDG Positron Emission Tomography (PET) Tumor and Penumbra Imaging Features Predict Recurrence in Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. Tomography. 2019 Mar.5(1):145-153. Pubmedid: 30854452. Pmcid: PMC6403030.
- Pinkham DW, Negahdar M, Yamamoto T, Mittra E, Diehn M, Nair VS, Keall PJ, Maxim PG, Loo BW. A Feasibility Study of Single-inhalation, Single-energy Xenon-enhanced CT for High-resolution Imaging of Regional Lung Ventilation in Humans. Acad Radiol. 2019 Jan.26(1):38-49. Pubmedid: 29606339.
- Nair VS, Sundaram V, Desai M, Gould MK. Accuracy of Models to Identify Lung Nodule Cancer Risk in the National Lung Screening Trial. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2018 May;197(9):1220-1223. Pubmedid: 29064264. Pmcid: PMC5955070.
- Zhang W, Bouchard G, Yu A, Shafiq M, Jamali M, Shrager JB, Ayers K, Bakr S, Gentles AJ, Diehn M, Quon A, West RB, Nair V, van de Rijn M, Napel S, Plevritis SK. -Expressing Cancer-Associated Fibroblasts Mediate Metabolic Reprogramming in Human Lung Adenocarcinoma. Cancer Res. 2018 Jul;78(13):3445-3457. Pubmedid: 29760045. Pmcid: PMC6030462.
- Khairy M, Duong DK, Shariff-Marco S, Cheng I, Jain J, Balakrishnan A, Liu L, Gupta A, Chandramouli R, Hsing A, Leung A, Singh B, Nair VS. An Analysis of Lung Cancer Screening Beliefs and Practice Patterns for Community Providers Compared to Academic Providers. Cancer Control. 2018 Jan;25(1). Pubmedid: 30375235. Pmcid: PMC6210633.
- Park SM, Wong DJ, Ooi CC, Nesvet JC, Nair VS, Wang SX, Gambhir SS. Multigene profiling of single circulating tumor cells. Mol Cell Oncol. 2017 Mar.4(2):e1289295. Pubmedid: 28401190. Pmcid: PMC5383366.
- Duong DK, Shariff-Marco S, Cheng I, Naemi H, Moy LM, Haile R, Singh B, Leung A, Hsing A, Nair VS. Patient and primary care provider attitudes and adherence towards lung cancer screening at an academic medical center. Prev Med Rep. 2017 Jun.6:17-22. Pubmedid: 28210538. Pmcid: PMC5304233.
- Nair VS, Sundaram V, Gould MK, Desai M. Use of [(18)F]Fluoro-2-deoxy-d-glucose Positron Emission Tomographic Imaging in the National Lung Screening Trial. Chest. 2016 Sep;150(3):621-630. Pubmedid: 27179906. Pmcid: PMC6026233.
- Chaudhuri AA, Binkley MS, Rigdon J, Carter JN, Aggarwal S, Dudley SA, Qian Y, Kumar KA, Hara WY, Gensheimer M, Nair VS, Maxim PG, Shultz DB, Bush K, Trakul N, Le QT, Diehn M, Loo BW, Guo HH. Pre-treatment non-target lung FDG-PET uptake predicts symptomatic radiation pneumonitis following Stereotactic Ablative Radiotherapy (SABR). Radiother Oncol. 2016 Jun;119(3):454-460. Pubmedid: 27267049.
- Park SM, Wong DJ, Ooi CC, Kurtz DM, Vermesh O, Aalipour A, Suh S, Pian KL, Chabon JJ, Lee SH, Jamali M, Say C, Carter JN, Lee LP, Kuschner WG, Schwartz EJ, Shrager JB, Neal JW, Wakelee HA, Diehn M, Nair VS, Wang SX, Gambhir SS. Molecular profiling of single circulating tumor cells from lung cancer patients. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016 Dec;113(52):E8379-E8386. Pubmedid: 27956614. Pmcid: PMC5206556.
- Echegaray S, Nair V, Kadoch M, Leung A, Rubin D, Gevaert O, Napel S. A Rapid Segmentation-Insensitive "Digital Biopsy" Method for Radiomic Feature Extraction: Method and Pilot Study Using CT Images of Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. Tomography. 2016 Dec.2(4):283-294. Pubmedid: 28612050. Pmcid: PMC5466872.
- Gentles AJ, Bratman SV, Lee LJ, Harris JP, Feng W, Nair RV, Shultz DB, Nair VS, Hoang CD, West RB, Plevritis SK, Alizadeh AA, Diehn M. Integrating Tumor and Stromal Gene Expression Signatures With Clinical Indices for Survival Stratification of Early-Stage Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2015 Oct;107(10). Pubmedid: 26286589. Pmcid: PMC6090873.
- Gentles AJ, Newman AM, Liu CL, Bratman SV, Feng W, Kim D, Nair VS, Xu Y, Khuong A, Hoang CD, Diehn M, West RB, Plevritis SK, Alizadeh AA. The prognostic landscape of genes and infiltrating immune cells across human cancers. Nat Med. 2015 Aug;21(8):938-945. Pubmedid: 26193342. Pmcid: PMC4852857.
- Nair VS, Gevaert O, Davidzon G, Plevritis SK, West R. NF-κB protein expression associates with (18)F-FDG PET tumor uptake in non-small cell lung cancer: a radiogenomics validation study to understand tumor metabolism. Lung Cancer. 2014 Feb;83(2):189-196. Pubmedid: 24355259. Pmcid: PMC3922123.
- Nair VS, Keu KV, Luttgen MS, Kolatkar A, Vasanawala M, Kuschner W, Bethel K, Iagaru AH, Hoh C, Shrager JB, Loo BW, Bazhenova L, Nieva J, Gambhir SS, Kuhn P. An observational study of circulating tumor cells and (18)F-FDG PET uptake in patients with treatment-naive non-small cell lung cancer. PLoS One. 2014 Feb;8(7):e67733. Pubmedid: 23861795. Pmcid: PMC3702496.
- Carlsson A, Nair VS, Luttgen MS, Keu KV, Horng G, Vasanawala M, Kolatkar A, Jamali M, Iagaru AH, Kuschner W, Loo BW, Shrager JB, Bethel K, Hoh CK, Bazhenova L, Nieva J, Kuhn P, Gambhir SS. Circulating tumor microemboli diagnostics for patients with non-small-cell lung cancer. J Thorac Oncol. 2014 Aug;9(8):1111-1119. Pubmedid: 25157764. Pmcid: PMC4145608.
- Nair VS, Gevaert O, Davidzon G, Napel S, Graves EE, Hoang CD, Shrager JB, Quon A, Rubin DL, Plevritis SK. Prognostic PET 18F-FDG uptake imaging features are associated with major oncogenomic alterations in patients with resected non-small cell lung cancer. Cancer Res. 2012 Aug;72(15):3725-3734. Pubmedid: 22710433. Pmcid: PMC3596510.