Find a Doctor
Timothy Robinson, MD, PhD
Locations: Moffitt Cancer Center
Dr. Timothy Robinson is an Assistant Member in the Department of Radiation Oncology at Moffitt Cancer Center. He is also a member of the Chemical Biology and Molecular Medicine Program. Dr. Robinson received his MD and PhD from Duke University School of Medicine. He recently completed his Radiation Oncology Residency at Duke. Dr. Robinson has a clinical interest in central nervous system (CNS) malignancies including both primary lesions and metastases. He also has an interest in hematologic malignancies, including leukemia, lymphoma, and multiple myeloma. Dr. Robinson’s primary research interest is in using large and complicated biological and clinical data to conduct clinical and translational research in ways that will ultimately benefit patients with cancer. Areas of interest include bioinformatics analysis of gene expression and alternative mRNA splicing, biomarker development, and novel combinations of radiation with targeted therapy. He holds patents and intellectual property related to novel therapeutics, biomarkers, and bioinformatics related to alternative mRNA splicing in cancer.
Education & Training
- Duke University of Medicine - Radiation Oncology
- Duke University of Medicine(MD/PhD, - MD/PhD)
- Sim AJ, Ahmed KA, Keller A, Figura NB, Oliver DE, Sarangkasiri S, Robinson TJ, Johnstone PAS, Yu HM, Naghavi AO. Outcomes and the Role of Primary Histology Following LINAC-based Stereotactic Radiation for Sarcoma Brain Metastases. Am J Clin Oncol. 2020 Mar.43(5):356-361. Pubmedid: 32217854.
- Huang J, Sachdeva M, Xu E, Robinson TJ, Luo L, Ma Y, Williams N, Lopez O, Cervia LD, Yuan F, Qin X, Zhang D, Owzar K, Gokgoz N, Seto A, Okada T, Singer S, Andrulis IL, Wunder J, Lazar AJ, Rubin BP, Pipho K, Mello SS, Giudice J, Kirsch DG. The long non-coding RNA NEAT1 promotes sarcoma metastasis by regulating RNA splicing pathways. Mol Cancer Res. 2020 Jun. Pubmedid: 32561656.
- Yang G, Mills M, Kim Y, Figura NB, Doyle C, Oliver D, Grass GD, Robinson T, Chavez J, Kim S. Enhancement of the Follicular Lymphoma International Prognostic Index (FLIPI) with lymphopenia (FLIPI-L): a predictor for overall survival and histologic transformation. Blood Cancer J. 2020 Jan.9(12):104. Pubmedid: 31894139. Pmcid: PMC6938796.
- Ji KSY, Thomas SM, Roman SA, Czito B, Anderson KL, Frakes J, Adam MA, Sosa JA, Robinson TJ. Low- vs. High-Dose Neoadjuvant Radiation in Trimodality Treatment of Locally Advanced Esophageal Cancer. J Gastrointest Surg. 2019 May.23(5):885-894. Pubmedid: 30374818.
- Robinson TJ, Freedman JA, Al Abo M, Deveaux AE, LaCroix B, Patierno BM, George DJ, Patierno SR. Alternative RNA Splicing as a Potential Major Source of Untapped Molecular Targets in Precision Oncology and Cancer Disparities. Clin Cancer Res. 2019 May.25(10):2963-2968. Pubmedid: 30755441. Pmcid: PMC6653604.
- Goffredo P, Robinson TJ, Frakes JM, Utria AF, Scott AT, Hassan I. Comparison of Anal Versus Rectal Staging in the Prognostication of Rectal Squamous Cell Carcinoma: A Population-Based Analysis. Dis Colon Rectum. 2019 Mar;62(3):302-308. Pubmedid: 30398999.
- Figura NB, Rizk VT, Mohammadi H, Evernden B, Mokhtari S, Yu HM, Robinson TJ, Etame AB, Tran ND, Liu J, Washington I, Diaz R, Czerniecki BJ, Soliman H, Han HS, Sahebjam S, Forsyth PA, Ahmed KA. Clinical outcomes of breast leptomeningeal disease treated with intrathecal trastuzumab, intrathecal chemotherapy, or whole brain radiation therapy. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2019 Jun.175(3):781-788. Pubmedid: 30859348.
- Sim AJ, Jain MD, Figura N, Chavez JC, Shah BD, Khimani F, Lazarayan A, Krivenko G, Davila ML, Liu HD, Falchook AD, Dahiya S, Rapoport AP, Kim SU, Locke FL, Robinson TJ. Radiation Therapy as a Bridging Strategy for CAR T Cell Therapy With Axicabtagene Ciloleucel in Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2019 Dec.105(5):1012-1021. Pubmedid: 31175906. Pmcid: PMC6872916.
- Zaman S, Hajiran A, Coba GA, Robinson T, Madanayake TW, Segarra DT, Chobrutskiy BI, Boyle TA, Zhou JM, Kim Y, Mulé JJ, Teer JK, Manley BJ. Aberrant Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor RNA Splice Products Are Among the Most Frequent Somatic Alterations in Clear Cell Renal Cell Carcinoma and Are Associated with a Poor Response to Immunotherapy. Eur Urol Focus. 2019 Dec. Pubmedid: 31901438.
- Figura NB, Potluri TK, Mohammadi H, Oliver DE, Arrington JA, Robinson TJ, Etame AB, Tran ND, Liu JK, Soliman H, Forsyth PA, Sahebjam S, Yu HM, Han HS, Ahmed KA. CDK 4/6 inhibitors and stereotactic radiation in the management of hormone receptor positive breast cancer brain metastases. J Neurooncol. 2019 Aug.144(3):583-589. Pubmedid: 31399935.
- Grass GD, Mills MN, Ahmed KA, Liveringhouse CL, Montejo ME, Robinson TJ, Chavez JC, Harrison LB, Kim S. Radiotherapy for early stage diffuse large B-cell lymphoma with or without double or triple hit genetic alterations. Leuk Lymphoma. 2019 Apr.60(4):886-893. Pubmedid: 30457458. Pmcid: PMC6596288.
- Yuan Z, Grass GD, Robinson TJ, Kim S. Management of primary cutaneous CD4+ small and medium pleomorphic T-cell lymphoma: A retrospective study. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2018 Oct.79(4):772-774. Pubmedid: 29857014. Pmcid: PMC6563324.
- Goffredo P, Robinson TJ, Frakes JM, Beck AC, Kalakoti P, Hassan I. The impact of location on the prognosis of squamous cell carcinomas of the anorectal region. J Surg Res. 2018 Nov;231:173-178. Pubmedid: 30278926.
- B Figura N, Long W, Yu M, Robinson TJ, Mokhtari S, Etame AB, Tran ND, Diaz R, Soliman H, S Han H, Sahebjam S, Forsyth PA, Ahmed KA. Intrathecal trastuzumab in the management of HER2+ breast leptomeningeal disease: a single institution experience. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2018 Jun;169(2):391-396. Pubmedid: 29392582.
- Goffredo P, Garancini M, Robinson TJ, Frakes J, Hoshi H, Hassan I. A National-Level Validation of the New American Joint Committee on Cancer 8th Edition Subclassification of Stage IIA and B Anal Squamous Cell Cancer. Ann Surg Oncol. 2018 Jun.25(6):1654-1660. Pubmedid: 29572706.
- Evans MK, Brown MC, Geradts J, Bao X, Robinson TJ, Jolly MK, Vermeulen P, Palmer GM, Gromeier M, Levine H, Morse MA, Van Laere S, Devi GR. XIAP Regulation by MNK Links MAPK and NFκB Signaling to Determine an Aggressive Breast Cancer Phenotype. Cancer Res. 2018 Apr;78(7):1726-1738. Pubmedid: 29351901.
- Harowicz MR, Robinson TJ, Dinan MA, Saha A, Marks JR, Marcom PK, Mazurowski MA. Algorithms for prediction of the Oncotype DX recurrence score using clinicopathologic data: a review and comparison using an independent dataset. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2017 Feb;162(1):1-10. Pubmedid: 28064383. Pmcid: PMC5909985.
- Ahmed KA, Berglund AE, Welsh EA, Naghavi AO, Kim Y, Yu M, Robinson TJ, Eschrich SA, Johnstone PA, Torres-Roca JF. The radiosensitivity of brain metastases based upon primary histology utilizing a multigene index of tumor radiosensitivity. Neurooncol. 2017 Aug;19(8):1145-1146. Pubmedid: 28379582. Pmcid: PMC5570253.
- Abuodeh Y, Ahmed K, Echevarria M, Naghavi A, Grass GD, Robinson TJ, Tomblyn M, Shah B, Chavez J, Bello C, El-Haddad G, Harrison L, Kim S. Priming radioimmunotherapy with external beam radiation in patients with relapsed low grade non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Ther Adv Hematol. 2017 Apr.8(4):129-138. Pubmedid: 28491264. Pmcid: PMC5405899.
- Evans MK, Sauer SJ, Nath S, Robinson TJ, Morse MA, Devi GR. X-linked inhibitor of apoptosis protein mediates tumor cell resistance to antibody-dependent cellular cytotoxicity. Cell Death Dis. 2016 Jan;7:e2073. Pubmedid: 26821068. Pmcid: PMC4816185.
- Robinson TJ, Dinan MA, Li Y, Lee WR, Reed SD. Longitudinal Trends in Costs of Palliative Radiation for Metastatic Prostate Cancer. J Palliat Med. 2015 Nov;18(11):933-939. Pubmedid: 26241733. Pmcid: PMC4638209.
- Homa NJ, Salinas R, Forte E, Robinson TJ, Garcia-Blanco MA, Luftig MA. Epstein-Barr virus induces global changes in cellular mRNA isoform usage that are important for the maintenance of latency. J Virol. 2013 Nov;87(22):12291-12301. Pubmedid: 24027308. Pmcid: PMC3807935.
- Simmons LA, Dinan MA, Robinson TJ, Snyderman R. Personalized medicine is more than genomic medicine: confusion over terminology impedes progress towards personalized healthcare. Per Med. 2012 Jan.9(1):85-91. Pubmedid: 29783292.
- Robinson TJ, Forte E, Salinas RE, Puri S, Marengo M, Garcia-Blanco MA, Luftig MA. SplicerEX: a tool for the automated detection and classification of mRNA changes from conventional and splice-sensitive microarray expression data. RNA. 2012 Aug;18(8):1435-1445. Pubmedid: 22736799. Pmcid: PMC3404365.
- Dinan MA, Robinson TJ, Zagar TM, Scales CD, Curtis LH, Reed SD, Lee WR, Schulman KA. Changes in initial treatment for prostate cancer among Medicare beneficiaries, 1999-2007. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2012 Apr;82(5):e781-e786. Pubmedid: 22331001. Pmcid: PMC3418871.
- Miller HB, Robinson TJ, Gordân R, Hartemink AJ, Garcia-Blanco MA. Identification of Tat-SF1 cellular targets by exon array analysis reveals dual roles in transcription and splicing. RNA. 2011 Apr;17(4):665-674. Pubmedid: 21282347. Pmcid: PMC3062177.
- Robinson TJ, Dinan MA, Dewhirst M, Garcia-Blanco MA, Pearson JL. SplicerAV: a tool for mining microarray expression data for changes in RNA processing. BMC Bioinformatics. 2010 Feb;11:108. Pubmedid: 20184770. Pmcid: PMC2838864.
- Sessions OM, Barrows NJ, Souza-Neto JA, Robinson TJ, Hershey CL, Rodgers MA, Ramirez JL, Dimopoulos G, Yang PL, Pearson JL, Garcia-Blanco MA. Discovery of insect and human dengue virus host factors. Nature. 2009 Apr.458(7241):1047-1050. Pubmedid: 19396146. Pmcid: PMC3462662.
- Pearson JL, Robinson TJ, Muñoz MJ, Kornblihtt AR, Garcia-Blanco MA. Identification of the cellular targets of the transcription factor TCERG1 reveals a prevalent role in mRNA processing. J Biol Chem. 2008 Mar;283(12):7949-7961. Pubmedid: 18187414.
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive
different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.Learn more about our patient comments
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.