Find a Doctor
Cancer Focus: Breast Cancer, Ductal Carcinoma In Situ , Inflammatory Breast Cancer , Invasive Ductal Carcinoma , Triple Negative Breast Cancer
Dr. Susan Hoover is a board certified surgical oncologist specializing in breast cancer in the Moffitt Cancer Center Department of Breast Oncology. She returned to Moffitt after several years of practice at the MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas. In addition to performing breast surgeries, such as mastectomies and lumpectomies, she has special expertise in minimally-invasive surgery techniques, incorporating sentinel lymph node biopsy, breast ultrasound, breast needle biopsy and accelerated partial breast irradiation into her patient care. Dr. Hoover has held national committee appointments in the Society for Surgical Oncology, the American Society of Breast Surgeons and the Association of Women Surgeons. She has been chosen by her peers for listing in Best Doctors in America® since 2009.
Education & Training
- Surgical Oncology
- University of Texas Southwestern, Dallas, TX - Breast Fellowship
- University of Texas Southwestern, Dallas, TX - General Surgery
- University of Texas Southwestern, Dallas, TX(MD, - MD)
- Burke EE, Laronga C, Sun W, DeBiase S, Naqvi SMH, Fridley B, Czerniecki BJ, Hoover SJ, Khakpour N, Kiluk JV, Lee MC. Implant-sparing Mastectomy: An Alternative for Women Undergoing Mastectomy With Retropectoral Implants. Clin Breast Cancer. 2019 Sep.20(1):e14-e19. Pubmedid: 31780380.
- Mills MN, Yang GQ, Oliver DE, Liveringhouse CL, Ahmed KA, Orman AG, Laronga C, Hoover SJ, Khakpour N, Costa RLB, Diaz R. Histologic heterogeneity of triple negative breast cancer: A National Cancer Centre Database analysis. Eur J Cancer. 2018 Jul.98:48-58. Pubmedid: 29870876.
- Mattingly AE, Ma Z, Smith PD, Kiluk JV, Khakpour N, Hoover SJ, Laronga C, Lee MC. Early Postoperative Complications after Oncoplastic Reduction. South Med J. 2017 Oct;110(10):660-666. Pubmedid: 28973708.
- Mattingly AE, Mooney B, Lin HY, Kiluk JV, Khakpour N, Hoover SJ, Laronga C, Lee MC. Magnetic Resonance Imaging for Axillary Breast Cancer Metastasis in the Neoadjuvant Setting: A Prospective Study. Clin Breast Cancer. 2017 Jun;17(3):180-187. Pubmedid: 27956116.
- Mellon EA, Orman A, Joya LE, Montejo ME, Laronga C, Hoover SJ, Lee MC, Khakpour N, Kubal PF, Diaz R. Frequency of whole breast radiation therapy after intraoperative radiation therapy due to criteria identified by lumpectomy. Brachytherapy. 2017 Jul;16(1):174-180. Pubmedid: 27816540.
- Khazai L, Chau A, Hoover S, Rosa M. Papillary endothelial hyperplasia arising in the irradiated breast: A diagnostic dilemma. Pathol Res Pract. 2016 Jul;212(7):604-607. Pubmedid: 27157404.
- Zimmerman A, Locke FL, Emole J, Rosa M, Horna P, Hoover S, Dayicioglu D. Recurrent Systemic Anaplastic Lymphoma Kinase-Negative Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma Presenting as a Breast Implant-Associated Lesion. Cancer Control. 2015 Jul;22(3):369-373. Pubmedid: 26351895.
- Jafarian N, Kuppler K, Rosa M, Hoover S, Patel B. Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia and Invasive Ductal Carcinoma Presenting as a Collision Breast Tumor. Clin Breast Cancer. 2015 Aug;15(4):e209-e212. Pubmedid: 25818398.
- Hoover S, Bloom E, Patel S. Review of breast conservation therapy: then and now. ISRN Oncol. 2012 Aug;2011:617593. Pubmedid: 22229101. Pmcid: PMC3200284.
- Sarnaik AA, Meade T, King J, Acs G, Hoover S, Cox CE, Carter WB, Laronga C. Adenoid cystic carcinoma of the breast: a review of a single institution's experience. Breast J. 2010 May;16(2):208-210. Pubmedid: 20030648.
- Laronga C, Lee MC, McGuire KP, Meade T, Carter WB, Hoover S, Cox CE. Indications for sentinel lymph node biopsy in the setting of prophylactic mastectomy. J Am Coll Surg. 2009 Dec;209(6):746-752. Pubmedid: 19959044.
- Hoover SJ, Berry MP, Rossick L, Rege RV, Jones DB. Ultrasound-guided breast biopsy curriculum for surgical residents. Surg Innov. 2008 Mar;15(1):52-58. Pubmedid: 18407929.
- Kiluk J, Acs G, Hoover S. High-risk benign breast lesions: current strategies in management. Cancer Control. 2007 Oct;14(4):321-329. Pubmedid: 17914332.
- Laronga C, Hasson D, Hoover S, Cox J, Cantor A, Cox C, Carter W. Paget's disease in the era of sentinel lymph node biopsy. Am J Surg. 2006 Oct;192(4):481-483. Pubmedid: 16978954.
- Bevers TB, Anderson BO, Bonaccio E, Borgen PI, Buys S, Daly MB, Dempsey PJ, Farrar WB, Fleming I, Garber JE, Harris RE, Helvie M, Hoover S, Krontiras H, Shaw S, Singletary E, Sugg Skinner C, Smith ML, Tsangaris TN, Wiley EL, Williams C. Breast cancer screening and diagnosis. J Natl Compr Canc Ne. 2006 May;4(5):480-508. Pubmedid: 16687096.
- Johnson-Maddux A, Ashfaq R, Cler L, Naftalis E, Leitch AM, Hoover S, Euhus DM. Reproducibility of cytologic atypia in repeat nipple duct lavage. Cancer. 2005 Mar;103(6):1129-1136. Pubmedid: 15685620.
- Maddux AJ, Ashfaq R, Naftalis E, Leitch AM, Hoover S, Euhus D. Patient and duct selection for nipple duct lavage. Am J Surg. 2004 Oct;188(4):390-394. Pubmedid: 15474432.
- Meng S, Tripathy D, Shete S, Ashfaq R, Haley B, Perkins S, Beitsch P, Khan A, Euhus D, Osborne C, Frenkel E, Hoover S, Leitch M, Clifford E, Vitetta E, Morrison L, Herlyn D, Terstappen LW, Fleming T, Fehm T, Tucker T, Lane N, Wang J, Uhr J. HER-2 gene amplification can be acquired as breast cancer progresses. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004 Jun;101(25):9393-9398. Pubmedid: 15194824. Pmcid: PMC438987.
- Meng S, Tripathy D, Frenkel EP, Shete S, Naftalis EZ, Huth JF, Beitsch PD, Leitch M, Hoover S, Euhus D, Haley B, Morrison L, Fleming TP, Herlyn D, Terstappen LW, Fehm T, Tucker TF, Lane N, Wang J, Uhr JW. Circulating tumor cells in patients with breast cancer dormancy. Clin Cancer Res. 2004 Dec;10(24):8152-8162. Pubmedid: 15623589.
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive
different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.Learn more about our patient comments
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.