Find a Doctor
Pilar Suz, MD
Locations: Moffitt Cancer Center
Dr. Suz Ruiz is an Assistant Member in the Department of Anesthesiology at Moffitt Cancer Center. Dr. Suz Ruiz earned her MD degree at Pontificia Universidad Javeriana – School of Medicine, Bogota, Colombia. She completed an Anesthesiology Residency at The University of Texas and a Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesiology Fellowship at the Heart and Vascular Institute and Methodist Hospital, The University of Texas. Dr. Suz Ruiz was an Assistant Professor in the Department of Anesthesiology at The University of Texas and Attending Anesthesiologist at Lyndon B. Johnson Hospital in Houston, TX, where she also served as Director, Thoracic and Vascular Anesthesia. Her main clinical and research interests include how to utilize point-of-care ultrasound (POCUS) in the perioperative setting to improve patient assessment and outcomes and the influence of perioperative pain management strategies on outcomes.
Education & Training
- The Heart and Vascular Institute and Methodist Hospital, University of Texas - Cardiothoracic/Vascular Anesthesiology
- The University of Texas - Anesthesiology
- Pontificia Universidad Javeriana School of Medicine - MD
- Patel SY, Evans RM, Garcia Getting RE, Suz P. Pectoral Nerve and Transverse Abdominis Plane Block in a Patient Undergoing Mastectomy With Transverse Rectus Abdominis Muscle Flap: A Case Report. A A Case Rep. 2017 Apr;8(8):210-212. Pubmedid: 28118214.
- Brown JM, Udomphorn Y, Suz P, Vavilala MS. Antipyretic treatment of noninfectious fever in children with severe traumatic brain injury. Childs Nerv Syst. 2008 Apr;24(4):477-483. Pubmedid: 17917733.
- Tontisirin N, Muangman SL, Suz P, Pihoker C, Fisk D, Moore A, Lam AM, Vavilala MS. Early childhood gender differences in anterior and posterior cerebral blood flow velocity and autoregulation. Pediatrics. 2007 Mar;119(3):e610-e615. Pubmedid: 17283178.
- Suz P, Vavilala MS, Souter M, Muangman S, Lam AM. Clinical features of fever associated with poor outcome in severe pediatric traumatic brain injury. J Neurosurg Anesthesiol. 2006 Jan;18(1):5-10. Pubmedid: 16369134.
- Vavilala MS, Kincaid MS, Muangman SL, Suz P, Rozet I, Lam AM. Gender differences in cerebral blood flow velocity and autoregulation between the anterior and posterior circulations in healthy children. Pediatr Res. 2005 Sep;58(3):574-578. Pubmedid: 16148076. Pmcid: PMC1361350.
- Coates BM, Vavilala MS, Mack CD, Muangman S, Suz P, Sharar SR, Bulger E, Lam AM. Influence of definition and location of hypotension on outcome following severe pediatric traumatic brain injury. Crit Care Med. 2005 Nov;33(11):2645-2650. Pubmedid: 16276192. Pmcid: PMC1361352.