Find a Doctor
Michael Yu, MD
Locations: Moffitt Cancer Center
Cancer Focus: Brain Cancer , Spinal Tumor
Dr. Yu is board certified in Radiation Oncology and in Hospice and Palliative Medicine. His clinical interests include radiotherapy and stereotactic treatment for brain and spine tumors as well as radiotherapy for palliation to improve symptoms and quality of life in patients with advanced and metastatic cancers. His research interests focus on improving therapeutic outcomes using advanced radiation techniques including stereotactic radiosurgery and hypofractionated radiotherapy for brain and spine tumors. In addition, he has special interest in the integration of radiotherapy in palliative care to improve the quality and efficiency of palliative care.
Education & Training
- Radiation Oncology
- Johns Hopkins Hospital - Radiation Oncology
- Johns Hopkins Hospital - Radiation Oncology
- Robert Wood Johnson Medical School(MD, - MD)
CLINICAL TRIAL 20027
A Phase III Trial of Stereotactic Radiosurgery Compared with Hippocampal-Avoidant Whole Brain Radiotherapy (HA-WBRT) Plus Memantine for 5-15 Brain Metastases
Condition: Neurologic Oncology
Intervention: memantine ()
CLINICAL TRIAL 20028
Phase III Trial of Observation Versus Irradiation for a Gross Totally Resected Grade II Meningioma
Condition: Neurologic Oncology
- Sim AJ, Ahmed KA, Keller A, Figura NB, Oliver DE, Sarangkasiri S, Robinson TJ, Johnstone PAS, Yu HM, Naghavi AO. Outcomes and the Role of Primary Histology Following LINAC-based Stereotactic Radiation for Sarcoma Brain Metastases. Am J Clin Oncol. 2020 Mar.43(5):356-361. Pubmedid: 32217854.
- Nanda R, Boulware D, Baz R, Portman D, Yu HM, Jim H, Johnstone PAS. Patient-reported outcomes regarding radiation therapy in patients with multiple myeloma. Acta Oncol. 2020 Jun.1-5. Pubmedid: 32496846.
- Mills MN, Figura NB, Arrington JA, Yu HM, Etame AB, Vogelbaum MA, Soliman H, Czerniecki BJ, Forsyth PA, Han HS, Ahmed KA. Management of brain metastases in breast cancer: a review of current practices and emerging treatments. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2020 Feb.180(2):279-300. Pubmedid: 32030570.
- Fisher BJ, Pugh SL, Macdonald DR, Chakravatri A, Lesser GJ, Fox S, Rogers CL, Werner-Wasik M, Doyle T, Bahary JP, Fiveash JB, Bovi JA, Howard SP, Michael Yu HH, D'Souza D, Laack NN, Barani IJ, Kwok Y, Wahl DR, Strasser JF, Won M, Mehta MP. Phase 2 Study of a Temozolomide-Based Chemoradiation Therapy Regimen for High-Risk, Low-Grade Gliomas: Long-Term Results of Radiation Therapy Oncology Group 0424. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2020 Apr.107(4):720-725. Pubmedid: 32251755.
- Rishi A, Yu HM. Current Treatment of Melanoma Brain Metastasis. CURR TREAT OPTION ON. 2020 Apr.21(6):45. Pubmedid: 32350685.
- Vogelbaum MA, Yu HM. Nodular Leptomeningeal Disease After Surgery for a Brain Metastasis - Should We Be Concerned?. Neurooncol. 2019 May. Pubmedid: 31051044. Pmcid: PMC6682200.
- Johnstone PAS, Bulls HW, Zhou JM, Lee JK, Portman D, Yu HM, Jim H. Congruence of multiple patient-related outcomes within a single day. Support Care Cancer. 2019 Mar.27(3):867-872. Pubmedid: 30069695.
- Figura NB, Rizk VT, Mohammadi H, Evernden B, Mokhtari S, Yu HM, Robinson TJ, Etame AB, Tran ND, Liu J, Washington I, Diaz R, Czerniecki BJ, Soliman H, Han HS, Sahebjam S, Forsyth PA, Ahmed KA. Clinical outcomes of breast leptomeningeal disease treated with intrathecal trastuzumab, intrathecal chemotherapy, or whole brain radiation therapy. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2019 Jun.175(3):781-788. Pubmedid: 30859348.
- Johnstone PAS, Alla R, Yu HM, Portman D, Cheng H, Mitchell R, Jim H. Patient-reported outcomes: using ESAS to screen for anemia. Support Care Cancer. 2019 Dec. Pubmedid: 31872297.
- Figura NB, Potluri TK, Mohammadi H, Oliver DE, Arrington JA, Robinson TJ, Etame AB, Tran ND, Liu JK, Soliman H, Forsyth PA, Sahebjam S, Yu HM, Han HS, Ahmed KA. CDK 4/6 inhibitors and stereotactic radiation in the management of hormone receptor positive breast cancer brain metastases. J Neurooncol. 2019 Aug.144(3):583-589. Pubmedid: 31399935.
- Bell EH, Zhang P, Fisher BJ, Macdonald DR, McElroy JP, Lesser GJ, Fleming J, Chakraborty AR, Liu Z, Becker AP, Fabian D, Aldape KD, Ashby LS, Werner-Wasik M, Walker EM, Bahary JP, Kwok Y, Yu HM, Laack NN, Schultz CJ, Gray HJ, Robins HI, Mehta MP, Chakravarti A. Association of MGMT Promoter Methylation Status With Survival Outcomes in Patients With High-Risk Glioma Treated With Radiotherapy and Temozolomide: An Analysis From the NRG Oncology/RTOG 0424 Trial. JAMA Oncol. 2018 Oct;4(10):1405-1409. Pubmedid: 29955793. Pmcid: PMC6117103.
- B Figura N, Long W, Yu M, Robinson TJ, Mokhtari S, Etame AB, Tran ND, Diaz R, Soliman H, S Han H, Sahebjam S, Forsyth PA, Ahmed KA. Intrathecal trastuzumab in the management of HER2+ breast leptomeningeal disease: a single institution experience. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2018 Jun;169(2):391-396. Pubmedid: 29392582.
- Figura N, Smith J, Yu HM. Mechanisms of, and Adjuvants for, Bone Pain. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am. 2018 Jun;32(3):447-458. Pubmedid: 29729780.
- Wang JP, Yu HM, Chiang ER, Wang JY, Chou PH, Hung SC. Corticosteroid inhibits differentiation of palmar fibromatosis-derived stem cells (FSCs) through downregulation of transforming growth factor-β1 (TGF-β1). PLoS One. 2018 Jun;13(6):e0198326. Pubmedid: 29944666. Pmcid: PMC6019676.
- Perez MC, Yu HM, Markowitz J. Severe thromboembolic phenomenon in the setting of pseudoprogression of melanoma brain metastases in response to combination immunotherapy. BMJ Case Rep. 2018 Aug;2018. Pubmedid: 30108120.
- Chinnaiyan P, Won M, Wen PY, Rojiani AM, Werner-Wasik M, Shih HA, Ashby LS, Yu HM, Stieber VW, Malone SC, Fiveash JB, Mohile NA, Ahluwalia MS, Wendland MM, Stella PJ, Kee AY, Mehta MP. A randomized phase II study of everolimus in combination with chemoradiation in newly diagnosed glioblastoma: results of NRG Oncology RTOG 0913. Neurooncol. 2018 Apr;20(5):666-673. Pubmedid: 29126203. Pmcid: PMC5892159.
- Johnstone PAS, Lee J, Zhou JM, Ma Z, Portman D, Jim H, Yu HM. A modified Edmonton Symptom Assessment Scale for symptom clusters in radiation oncology patients. Cancer Med. 2017 Sep.6(9):2034-2041. Pubmedid: 28776964. Pmcid: PMC5603842.
- Choi CYH, Wakelee HA, Neal JW, Pinder-Schenck MC, Yu HM, Chang SD, Adler JR, Modlin LA, Harsh GR, Soltys SG. Vorinostat and Concurrent Stereotactic Radiosurgery for Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer Brain Metastases: A Phase 1 Dose Escalation Trial. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2017 Sep;99(1):16-21. Pubmedid: 28816142.
- Yin CY, Yu HM, Wang JP, Huang YC, Huang TF, Chang MC. Long-term follow-up of Dupuytren disease after injection of triamcinolone acetonide in Chinese patients in Taiwan. J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2017 Sep;42(7):678-682. Pubmedid: 28183220.
- Ahmed KA, Kim S, Arrington J, Naghavi AO, Dilling TJ, Creelan BC, Antonia SJ, Caudell JJ, Harrison LB, Sahebjam S, Gray JE, Etame AB, Johnstone PA, Yu M, Perez BA. Outcomes targeting the PD-1/PD-L1 axis in conjunction with stereotactic radiation for patients with non-small cell lung cancer brain metastases. J Neurooncol. 2017 Jun.133(2):331-338. Pubmedid: 28466250.
- Ahmed KA, Berglund AE, Welsh EA, Naghavi AO, Kim Y, Yu M, Robinson TJ, Eschrich SA, Johnstone PA, Torres-Roca JF. The radiosensitivity of brain metastases based upon primary histology utilizing a multigene index of tumor radiosensitivity. Neurooncol. 2017 Aug;19(8):1145-1146. Pubmedid: 28379582. Pmcid: PMC5570253.
- Abuodeh Y, Ahmed KA, Naghavi AO, Venkat PS, Sarangkasiri S, Johnstone PA, Etame AB, Yu HM. Postoperative Stereotactic Radiosurgery Using 5-Gy × 5 Sessions in the Management of Brain Metastases. World Neurosurg. 2016 Jun;90:58-65. Pubmedid: 26921701.
- Ahmed KA, Abuodeh YA, Echevarria MI, Arrington JA, Stallworth DG, Hogue C, Naghavi AO, Kim S, Kim Y, Patel BG, Sarangkasiri S, Johnstone PA, Sahebjam S, Khushalani NI, Forsyth PA, Harrison LB, Yu M, Etame AB, Caudell JJ. Clinical outcomes of melanoma brain metastases treated with stereotactic radiosurgery and anti-PD-1 therapy, anti-CTLA-4 therapy, BRAF/MEK inhibitors, BRAF inhibitor, or conventional chemotherapy. Ann Oncol. 2016 Dec.27(12):2288-2294. Pubmedid: 27637745.
- Ahmed KA, Sarangkasiri S, Chinnaiyan P, Sahebjam S, Yu HH, Etame AB, Rao NG. Outcomes Following Hypofractionated Stereotactic Radiotherapy in the Management of Brain Metastases. Am J Clin Oncol. 2016 Aug;39(4):379-383. Pubmedid: 24755663.
- Patel BG, Ahmed KA, Johnstone PA, Yu HM, Etame AB. Initial experience with combined BRAF and MEK inhibition with stereotactic radiosurgery for BRAF mutant melanoma brain metastases. Melanoma Res. 2016 Aug.26(4):382-386. Pubmedid: 26926151.
- Ahmed KA, Freilich JM, Abuodeh Y, Figura N, Patel N, Sarangkasiri S, Chinnaiyan P, Yu HH, Etame AB, Rao NG. Fractionated stereotactic radiotherapy to the post-operative cavity for radioresistant and radiosensitive brain metastases. J Neurooncol. 2014 May;118(1):179-186. Pubmedid: 24604750.
- Chinnaiyan P, Chowdhary S, Potthast L, Prabhu A, Tsai YY, Sarcar B, Kahali S, Brem S, Yu HM, Rojiani A, Murtagh R, Pan E. Phase I trial of vorinostat combined with bevacizumab and CPT-11 in recurrent glioblastoma. Neurooncol. 2012 Jan;14(1):93-100. Pubmedid: 22028388. Pmcid: PMC3246000.
- Yu HH, Hoffe SE. Beyond the conventional role of external-beam radiation therapy for skeletal metastases: new technologies and stereotactic directions. Cancer Control. 2012 Apr;19(2):129-136. Pubmedid: 22487975.
- Yu HH, Tsai YY, Hoffe SE. Overview of diagnosis and management of metastatic disease to bone. Cancer Control. 2012 Apr;19(2):84-91. Pubmedid: 22487970.
- Devito N, Yu M, Chen R, Pan E. Retrospective study of patients with brain metastases from melanoma receiving concurrent whole-brain radiation and temozolomide. Anticancer Res. 2011 Dec;31(12):4537-4543. Pubmedid: 22199328.
- Zhang GG, Ku L, Michael Yu HH, Sarangkasiri S, Zhang RR, Li W, Feygelman V. Dosimetric analysis of modulated and hybrid arcs in stereotactic radiosurgery. J Radiosurg SBRT. 2011.1(3):177-182. Pubmedid: 29296315. Pmcid: PMC5725314.
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive
different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.Learn more about our patient comments
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.