Find a Doctor
Marco Ruiz, MD, MPH
Program: Malignant Hematology and Cellular Therapy at Memorial Healthcare System
Cancer Types Treated: MDS, Multiple Myeloma-Plasma Cell Tumor , Myelodysplastic Syndromes (MDS) , Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma , Hodgkin Lymphoma , Leukemia
Dr. Marco Ruiz is an associate member of Moffitt Malignant Hematology and Cellular Therapy at Memorial Healthcare System in Pembroke Pines specializing in hematologic or blood cancers, including leukemia, lymphoma, myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS) and myelofibrosis. He is also an experienced bone marrow transplant specialist and is active in cancer research. Growing up the son of a nurse, Dr. Ruiz knew at a young age that he wanted to pursue a career in medicine. But it was his father’s battle with cancer that sparked a passion for helping patients with the disease. After experiencing firsthand how open communication and family involvement in patient care can impact outcomes, Dr. Ruiz has made both practices a cornerstone of his approach to care. Dr. Ruiz earned his medical degree from the University of San Marcos School of Medicine in Peru and completed additional training at San Juan City Hospital in Puerto Rico, Louisiana State University, and Ochsner Medical Center in New Orleans. In addition to treating patients, Dr. Ruiz performs cancer research and clinical trials, with a focus on perfecting bone marrow transplantation and the treatment of patients with cancer and HIV.
Education & Training
- Internal Medicine
- Hospice & Palliative Medicine
- Infectious Disease
- Medical Oncology
- Louisiana State University Health Science Center - Infectious Diseases
- University of Illinois at Chicago - Geriatric Medicine
- Louisiana State University Health Science Center - Hematology / Oncology
- San Juan City Hospital - Internal Medicine
- University of San Marcos School of Medicine - MD
- Ruiz M, Reynolds P, Marranzini R, Khan A, Ketterer J, Brahim A. Role of Early Palliative Care Interventions in Hematological Malignancies and Bone Marrow Transplant Patients: Barriers and Potential Solutions. Am J Hosp Palliat Care. 2018 Nov;35(11):1456-1460. Pubmedid: 29699418.
- Khan A, Brahim A, Ruiz M, Nagovski N. Relapsed/refractory Burkitt lymphoma and HIV infection. Int J STD AIDS. 2018 Jun;29(7):695-703. Pubmedid: 29264956.
- Ruiz M, Cefalu C. Characteristics of Frail Patients in a Geriatric-HIV Program: The Experience of an Urban Academic Center at One Year Follow-Up. J Int Assoc Physicians AIDS Care (Chic). 2016 Apr;10(3):138-143. Pubmedid: 21502439.
- Ruiz M, Davis H. Breast Cancer in HIV-Infected Patients: A Retrospective Single-Institution Study. J Int Assoc Physicians AIDS Care (Chic). 2011 Jan;10(1):30-34. Pubmedid: 21368012.