Find a Doctor
Kathryn Vorwald, DDS, MD
Specialty: Head and Neck Surgery
Program: Head and Neck Oncology
Locations: Moffitt Cancer Center
Cancer Focus: Basal Cell Carcinoma , Oral Cavity or Throat Cancer , Skin Cancer (Nonmelanoma) , Thyroid Cancer
Dr. Vorwald was trained as an oral and maxillofacial surgeon at St. John Providence in Detroit, Michigan, after obtaining her doctor of dental surgery degree from the University of Minnesota as well as her doctor of medicine degree from Wayne State University. Her clinical interests include removal of a variety of complex tumors from the head and neck region with special interest in oral cancer including masses of the upper and lower jaws, tongue, floor of mouth, buccal mucosa, and salivary glands. She is equally as passionate about providing the reconstructive surgery that will allow her patients to return to their daily functions of life, such as eating and speaking, with the ability to utilize various hard and soft tissues from both local and distant sites of the body to accomplish this.
Education & Training
- St. John Providence - Oral and Maxilllofacial Surgery
- Wayne State University - MD
- University of Minnesota School of Medicine - DDS
- Martin-Gomez L, Giuliano AR, Fulp WJ, Caudell J, Echevarria M, Sirak B, Abrahamsen M, Isaacs-Soriano KA, Hernandez-Prera JC, Wenig BM, Vorwald K, McMullen CP, Wadsworth JT, Slebos RJ, Chung CH. Human Papillomavirus Genotype Detection in Oral Gargle Samples Among Men With Newly Diagnosed Oropharyngeal Squamous Cell Carcinoma. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2019 Mar.145(5):460-466. Pubmedid: 30920604. Pmcid: PMC6537790.
- Vorwald KM. Using Laryngectomies to Help Voice Concerns About Health Care Databases. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2019 Aug. Pubmedid: 31465104.