Find a Doctor Search
Dr. Smith received his MD degree from the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. He completed an Internal Medicine Residency at the Medical University of South Carolina and a Hospice and Palliative Care Fellowship at the Cleveland Clinic Foundation. Dr. Smith’s clinical interest is in symptom management for patients affected by cancer. He is dedicated to improving quality of life and helping patients and their families with advanced care planning. Dr. Smith’s research interests are in the correlation between symptom burden and suffering with a focus on addressing and alleviating suffering.
Education & Training
- Hospice & Palliative Medicine
- Cleveland Clinic Foundation - Hospice and Palliative Care
- Medical University of South Carolina - Internal Medicine
- University of Miami Miller School of Medicine - MD
If you believe you are eligible for one of these trials or studies, please call
- Mosley SA, Hicks JK, Portman DG, Donovan KA, Gopalan P, Schmit J, Starr J, Silver N, Gong Y, Langaee T, Clare-Salzler M, Starostik P, Chang YD, Rajasekhara S, Smith JE, Soares HP, George TJ, McLeod HL, Cavallari LH. Design and rational for the precision medicine guided treatment for cancer pain pragmatic clinical trial. Contemp Clin Trials. 2018 May;68:7-13. Pubmedid: 29535047. Pmcid: PMC5899651.
- Oberoi-Jassal R, Portman D, Smith J, Rajasekhara S, Desai VV, Donovan KA, Chang YD. Burning Mouth Pain: A Case Report. J Oncol Pract. 2018 Mar. Pubmedid: 29589986.
- Figura N, Smith J, Yu HM. Mechanisms of, and Adjuvants for, Bone Pain. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am. 2018 Jun;32(3):447-458. Pubmedid: 29729780.
- Chang YD, Smith J, Portman D, Kim R, Oberoi-Jassal R, Rajasekhara S, Davis M. Single Institute Experience With Methylphenidate and American Ginseng in Cancer-Related Fatigue. Am J Hosp Palliat Care. 2018 Jan;35(1):144-150. Pubmedid: 28299946.
- Smith J. A Patient Just Died. J Palliat Med. 2016 Jan;19(1):116. Pubmedid: 26652769.
- Chang YD, Davis MP, Smith J, Gutgsell T. Pseudobulbar Affect or Depression in Dementia?. J Pain Symptom Manag. 2016 05;51(5):954-958. Pubmedid: 26899823.