Find a Doctor
Cancer Focus: Adrenal Carcinoma, Neuroendocrine Tumor , Thyroid Cancer
Dr. John Tourtelot is a specialist in the endocrinology program at Moffitt Cancer Center, and he is board certified in Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism. Dr. Tourtelot’s research interests include tumors of the endocrine system with a focus on thyroid cancer. A graduate of the University of Miami School of Medicine. Dr. Tourtelot completed a residency in internal medicine at Naval Hospital in Oakland, CA., and a fellowship in endocrinology and metabolism at National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, MD. He also pursued a one-year clinical research program at the National Institutes of Health. Prior to joining Moffitt in 2009, Dr. Tourtelot was on the endocrinology consultation service at Bay Pines Veteran’s Hospital and was an affiliate assistant professor of medicine at the University of South Florida Department of Family Practice. From 1995-2004, he was an assistant professor of medicine at the Uniformed Services, University of the Health Sciences., the nation’s only federal health sciences university, operated by the U.S. Department of Defense, in Bethesda, MD. Dr. Tourtelot has received several U.S. Navy and Marine Corps commendation medals, including the U.S. Navy Meritorious Service Award in 2003. Dr. Tourtelot is a fellow of the American College of Endocrinology and the American College of Physicians. He has been widely published in peer-reviewed journals.
Education & Training
- Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism
- Naval Hospital, Oakland - Internal Medicine
- University of Miami, School of Medicine(MD, - MD)
- Valderrabano P, Klippenstein DL, Tourtelot JB, Ma Z, Thompson ZJ, Lilienfeld HS, McIver B. New American Thyroid Association Sonographic Patterns for Thyroid Nodules Perform Well in Medullary Thyroid Carcinoma: Institutional Experience, Systematic Review, and Meta-Analysis. Thyroid. 2016 Aug;26(8):1093-1100. Pubmedid: 27267210.
- Ashouri K, Mohseni S, Tourtelot J, Sharma P, Spiess PE. Implications of Von Hippel-Lindau Syndrome and Renal Cell Carcinoma. J Kidney Cancer VHL. 2015 Sep.2(4):163-173. Pubmedid: 28326271. Pmcid: PMC5345519.
- Tourtelot JB, Vesely DL. Pituitary tumor with gigantism, acromegaly and preclinical Cushing's disease diagnosed from the 10th row. Am J Med Sci. 2013 Aug;346(2):169-171. Pubmedid: 23462247.
- Carter WB, Tourtelot JB, Savell JG, Lilienfeld H. New treatments and shifting paradigms in differentiated thyroid cancer management. Cancer Control. 2011 Apr;18(2):96-103. Pubmedid: 21451452.
- McLean K, Lilienfeld H, Caracciolo JT, Hoffe S, Tourtelot JB, Carter WB. Management of isolated Adrenal Lesions in Cancer Patients. Cancer Control. 2011 Apr;18(2):113-126. Pubmedid: 21451454.
- Baskin HJ, Cobin RH, Duick DS, Gharib H, Guttler RB, Kaplan MM, Segal RL, Garber JR, Hamilton CR, Handelsman Y, Hellman R, Kukora JS, Levy P, Palumbo PJ, Petak SM, Rettinger HI, Rodbard HW, Service FJ, Shankar TP, Stoffer SS, Tourtelot JB. AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF CLINICAL ENDOCRINOLOGISTS MEDICAL GUIDELINES FOR CLINICAL PRACTICE FOR THE EVALUATION AND TREATMENT OF HYPERTHYROIDISM AND HYPOTHYROIDISM. Endocr Pract. 2002 Nov.8(6):457-469. Pubmedid: 27762623.
- Wysowski DK, Freiman JP, Tourtelot JB, Horton ML. Fatal and nonfatal hepatotoxicity associated with flutamide. Ann Intern Med. 1993 Jun;118(11):860-864. Pubmedid: 7683180.
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive
different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.Learn more about our patient comments
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.