Moffitt Notice of Blackbaud Data Incident. Learn More
Find a Doctor
Jianguo Tao, MD, PhD
Locations: Moffitt Cancer Center
Cancer Focus: Hodgkin Lymphoma , Leukemia , MDS, Multiple Myeloma-Plasma Cell Tumor , Myelodysplastic Syndromes (MDS) , Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma
Dr. Tao received his MD in China at Henan Medical University in 1985, and his MS in pathology from Peking Union College in Peking, China. In 1994 he earned his PhD in Molecular and Cellular Pharmacology at the University of Miami School of Medicine in Florida. In 1996 he completed a postdoctoral fellowship in hematology and oncology at the Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School in Boston, Massachusetts. Dr. Tao is a trained hematopathologist and physician-scientist who is well versed in both basic and translational studies in hematologic tumors, with special interest and emphasis in B-cell malignancies: genetic and epigenetic mechanisms of microenvironment-induced survival and drug resistance in B lymphomas. For the last decade, his laboratory has independently studied the role of stroma-mediated B-cell lymphoma survival, drug resistance and tumor progression. His team has demonstrated that the lymphoma “tumor microenvironment” is a critical determinant for lymphoma initiation, progression, response to therapy, and drug resistance. His long-term objective is to characterize the pathobiology of B-cell lymphomas, especially aggressive type B cell malignancies. He is interested and experienced in identifying major molecular determinants for drug response and resistance, as well as novel targets for overcoming or preventing drug resistance evolution in mantle cell lymphoma and double hit lymphoma (DHL).
Education & Training
- Anatomic Pathology & Clinical Pathology
- University of Pennsylvania - Hematopathology
- Armed Forces Institute of Pathology - Hematopathology
- New York Hospital - Hematopathology Rotation
- Brigham and Women's Hospital - Hematology/Oncology
- Long Island Jewish Medical Center - Pathology
- Henan College of Traditional Chinese Medicine - MD
Start Year: 2014 End Year: Team Publication Award, Sponsor: Moffitt Cancer Center
- Rao R, Nalluri S, Fiskus W, Savoie A, Buckley KM, Ha K, Balusu R, Joshi A, Coothankandaswamy V, Tao J, Sotomayor E, Atadja P, Bhalla KN. Editor's Note: Role of CAAT/Enhancer Binding Protein Homologous Protein in Panobinostat-mediated Potentiation of Bortezomib-induced Lethal Endoplasmic Reticulum Stress in Mantle Cell Lymphoma Cells. Clin Cancer Res. 2020 Mar.26(6):1531. Pubmedid: 32169966.
- Zhao X, Ren Y, Lawlor M, Shah BD, Park PMC, Lwin T, Wang X, Liu K, Wang M, Gao J, Li T, Xu M, Silva AS, Lee K, Zhang T, Koomen JM, Jiang H, Sudalagunta PR, Meads MB, Cheng F, Bi C, Fu K, Fan H, Dalton WS, Moscinski LC, Shain KH, Sotomayor EM, Wang GG, Gray NS, Cleveland JL, Qi J, Tao J. BCL2 Amplicon Loss and Transcriptional Remodeling Drives ABT-199 Resistance in B Cell Lymphoma Models. Cancer Cell. 2019 May.35(5):752-766.e9. Pubmedid: 31085176. Pmcid: PMC6945775.
- Jiang H, Lwin T, Zhao X, Ren Y, Li G, Moscinski L, Shah B, Tao J. Venetoclax as a single agent and in combination with PI3K-MTOR1/2 kinase inhibitors against ibrutinib sensitive and resistant mantle cell lymphoma. Brit J Haematol. 2019 Jan.184(2):298-302. Pubmedid: 29383700. Pmcid: PMC6066460.
- Shah B, Zhao X, Silva AS, Shain KH, Tao J. Resistance to Ibrutinib in B Cell Malignancies: One Size Does Not Fit All. Trends Cancer. 2018 Mar.4(3):197-206. Pubmedid: 29506670.
- Zhao X, Tao J. BRD4: epigenetic origin and target of CTCL. Blood. 2018 Feb.131(7):712-713. Pubmedid: 29449301.
- Ren Y, Bi C, Zhao X, Lwin T, Wang C, Yuan J, Silva AS, Shah BD, Fang B, Li T, Koomen JM, Jiang H, Chavez JC, Pham L, Sudalagunta PR, Wan L, Wang X, Dalton WS, Moscinski LC, Shain KH, Vose J, Cleveland JL, Sotomayor EM, Fu K, Tao J. PLK1 stabilizes a MYC-dependent kinase network in aggressive B cell lymphomas. J Clin Invest. 2018 Dec.128(12):5517-5530. Pubmedid: 30260324. Pmcid: PMC6264635.
- Zhao X, Lwin T, Silva A, Shah B, Tao J, Fang B, Zhang L, Fu K, Bi C, Li J, Jiang H, Meads MB, Jacobson T, Silva M, Distler A, Darville L, Zhang L, Han Y, Rebatchouk D, Di Liberto M, Moscinski LC, Koomen JM, Dalton WS, Shain KH, Wang M, Sotomayor E, Tao J. Unification of de novo and acquired ibrutinib resistance in mantle cell lymphoma. Nat Commun. 2017 Apr.8:14920. Pubmedid: 28416797. Pmcid: PMC5399304.
- Srikumar T, Markow M, Centeno B, Hoffe S, Tao J, Fernandez H, Strosberg J, Shibata D. Synchronous rectal adenocarcinoma and splenic marginal zone lymphoma. Curr Oncol. 2016 Feb.23(1):e70-e74. Pubmedid: 26966416. Pmcid: PMC4754072.
- Shain KH, Dalton WS, Tao J. The tumor microenvironment shapes hallmarks of mature B-cell malignancies. Oncogene. 2015 Sep.34(36):4673-4682. Pubmedid: 25639873. Pmcid: PMC4688902.
- Tao J, Zhang X, Lancet J, Bennett JM, Cai L, Papenhausen P, Moscinski L, Zhang L. Concurrence of B-lymphoblastic leukemia and myeloproliferative neoplasm with copy neutral loss of heterozygosity at chromosome 1p harboring a MPL W515S mutation. Cancer Genet. 2015 Feb.207(10-12):489-494. Pubmedid: 25453399.
- Wang GG, Konze KD, Tao J. Polycomb genes, miRNA, and their deregulation in B-cell malignancies. Blood. 2015 Feb.125(8):1217-1225. Pubmedid: 25568352. Pmcid: PMC4335077.
- Cheng F, Lienlaf M, Wang HW, Perez-Villarroel P, Lee C, Woan K, Rock-Klotz J, Sahakian E, Woods D, Pinilla-Ibarz J, Kalin J, Tao J, Hancock W, Kozikowski A, Seto E, Villagra A, Sotomayor EM. A novel role for histone deacetylase 6 in the regulation of the tolerogenic STAT3/IL-10 pathway in APCs. J Immunol. 2014 Sep.193(6):2850-2862. Pubmedid: 25108026. Pmcid: PMC4157123.
- Tao J, Zhao X, Tao J. c-MYC-miRNA circuitry: a central regulator of aggressive B-cell malignancies. Cell Cycle. 2014 Nov.13(2):191-198. Pubmedid: 24394940. Pmcid: PMC3906236.
- Tang CH, Ranatunga S, Kriss CL, Cubitt CL, Tao J, Pinilla-Ibarz JA, Del Valle JR, Hu CC. Inhibition of ER stress-associated IRE-1/XBP-1 pathway reduces leukemic cell survival. J Clin Invest. 2014 Jun.124(6):2585-2598. Pubmedid: 24812669. Pmcid: PMC4038575.
- Shain KH, Tao J. The B-cell receptor orchestrates environment-mediated lymphoma survival and drug resistance in B-cell malignancies. Oncogene. 2014 Aug.33(32):4107-4113. Pubmedid: 24037527. Pmcid: PMC4669099.
- Lwin T, Zhao X, Cheng F, Zhang X, Huang A, Shah B, Zhang Y, Moscinski LC, Choi YS, Kozikowski AP, Bradner JE, Dalton WS, Sotomayor E, Tao J. A microenvironment-mediated c-Myc/miR-548m/HDAC6 amplification loop in non-Hodgkin B cell lymphomas. J Clin Invest. 2013 Nov.123(11):4612-4626. Pubmedid: 24216476. Pmcid: PMC3809771.
- Chen X, Eksioglu EA, Zhou J, Zhang L, Djeu J, Fortenbery N, Epling-Burnette P, Van Bijnen S, Dolstra H, Cannon J, Youn JI, Donatelli SS, Qin D, De Witte T, Tao J, Wang H, Cheng P, Gabrilovich DI, List A, Wei S. Induction of myelodysplasia by myeloid-derived suppressor cells. J Clin Invest. 2013 Nov.123(11):4595-4611. Pubmedid: 24216507. Pmcid: PMC3809779.
- Zhao X, Lwin T, Zhang X, Huang A, Wang J, Marquez VE, Chen-Kiang S, Dalton WS, Sotomayor E, Tao J. Disruption of the MYC-miRNA-EZH2 loop to suppress aggressive B-cell lymphoma survival and clonogenicity. Leukemia. 2013 Dec.27(12):2341-2350. Pubmedid: 23538750. Pmcid: PMC4015113.
- Zhao X, Zhang X, Tao J. MYC and MiR: vicious circle. Oncotarget. 2013 Dec.4(12):2168-2169. Pubmedid: 24318653. Pmcid: PMC3926816.
- Cheng F, Wang H, Horna P, Wang Z, Shah B, Sahakian E, Woan KV, Villagra A, Pinilla-Ibarz J, Sebti S, Smith M, Tao J, Sotomayor EM. Stat3 inhibition augments the immunogenicity of B-cell lymphoma cells, leading to effective antitumor immunity. Cancer Res. 2012 Sep.72(17):4440-4448. Pubmedid: 22728650. Pmcid: PMC3990429.
- Zhang X, Zhao X, Fiskus W, Lin J, Lwin T, Rao R, Zhang Y, Chan JC, Fu K, Marquez VE, Chen-Kiang S, Moscinski LC, Seto E, Dalton WS, Wright KL, Sotomayor E, Bhalla K, Tao J. Coordinated silencing of MYC-mediated miR-29 by HDAC3 and EZH2 as a therapeutic target of histone modification in aggressive B-Cell lymphomas. Cancer Cell. 2012 Oct.22(4):506-523. Pubmedid: 23079660. Pmcid: PMC3973134.
- Fiskus W, Rao R, Balusu R, Ganguly S, Tao J, Sotomayor E, Mudunuru U, Smith JE, Hembruff SL, Atadja P, Marquez VE, Bhalla K. Superior efficacy of a combined epigenetic therapy against human mantle cell lymphoma cells. Clin Cancer Res. 2012 Nov.18(22):6227-6238. Pubmedid: 22932665. Pmcid: PMC4113119.
- Zhang X, Chen X, Lin J, Lwin T, Wright G, Moscinski LC, Dalton WS, Seto E, Wright K, Sotomayor E, Tao J. Myc represses miR-15a/miR-16-1 expression through recruitment of HDAC3 in mantle cell and other non-Hodgkin B-cell lymphomas. Oncogene. 2012 Jun.31(24):3002-3008. Pubmedid: 22002311. Pmcid: PMC3982396.
- Lin J, Lwin T, Zhao JJ, Tam W, Choi YS, Moscinski LC, Dalton WS, Sotomayor EM, Wright KL, Tao J. Follicular dendritic cell-induced microRNA-mediated upregulation of PRDM1 and downregulation of BCL-6 in non-Hodgkin's B-cell lymphomas. Leukemia. 2011 Jan.25(1):145-152. Pubmedid: 20966935. Pmcid: PMC3083119.
- Rao R, Nalluri S, Fiskus W, Savoie A, Buckley KM, Ha K, Balusu R, Joshi A, Coothankandaswamy V, Tao J, Sotomayor E, Atadja P, Bhalla KN. Role of CAAT/enhancer binding protein homologous protein in panobinostat-mediated potentiation of bortezomib-induced lethal endoplasmic reticulum stress in mantle cell lymphoma cells. Clin Cancer Res. 2010 Oct.16(19):4742-4754. Pubmedid: 20647473. Pmcid: PMC2948590.
- Hartley MA, Tao J, Baz R. Merkel cell carcinoma in the peripheral blood of a patient with concomitant chronic lymphocytic leukemia and multiple myeloma. J Clin Oncol. 2010 Mar.28(7):e113-e114. Pubmedid: 20008639.
- Desai S, Maurin M, Smith MA, Bolick SC, Dessureault S, Tao J, Sotomayor E, Wright KL. PRDM1 is required for mantle cell lymphoma response to bortezomib. Mol Cancer Res. 2010 Jun.8(6):907-918. Pubmedid: 20530581. Pmcid: PMC2891394.
- Lwin T, Lin J, Choi YS, Zhang X, Moscinski LC, Wright KL, Sotomayor EM, Dalton WS, Tao J. Follicular dendritic cell-dependent drug resistance of non-Hodgkin lymphoma involves cell adhesion-mediated Bim down-regulation through induction of microRNA-181a. Blood. 2010 Dec.116(24):5228-5236. Pubmedid: 20841506. Pmcid: PMC3012540.
- Zhao JJ, Lin J, Lwin T, Yang H, Guo J, Kong W, Dessureault S, Moscinski LC, Rezania D, Dalton WS, Sotomayor E, Tao J, Cheng JQ. microRNA expression profile and identification of miR-29 as a prognostic marker and pathogenetic factor by targeting CDK6 in mantle cell lymphoma. Blood. 2010 Apr.115(13):2630-2639. Pubmedid: 20086245. Pmcid: PMC2852365.
- Rao R, Lee P, Fiskus W, Yang Y, Joshi R, Wang Y, Buckley K, Balusu R, Chen J, Koul S, Joshi A, Upadhyay S, Tao J, Sotomayor E, Bhalla KN. Co-treatment with heat shock protein 90 inhibitor 17-dimethylaminoethylamino-17-demethoxygeldanamycin (DMAG) and vorinostat: a highly active combination against human mantle cell lymphoma (MCL) cells. Cancer Biol Ther. 2009 Jul.8(13):1273-1280. Pubmedid: 19440035. Pmcid: PMC2766923.
- Lwin T, Crespo LA, Wu A, Dessureault S, Shu HB, Moscinski LC, Sotomayor E, Dalton WS, Tao J. Lymphoma cell adhesion-induced expression of B cell-activating factor of the TNF family in bone marrow stromal cells protects non-Hodgkin's B lymphoma cells from apoptosis. Leukemia. 2009 Jan.23(1):170-177. Pubmedid: 18843286.
- Lwin T, Hazlehurst LA, Dessureault S, Lai R, Bai W, Sotomayor E, Moscinski LC, Dalton WS, Tao J. Cell adhesion induces p27Kip1-associated cell-cycle arrest through down-regulation of the SCFSkp2 ubiquitin ligase pathway in mantle-cell and other non-Hodgkin B-cell lymphomas. Blood. 2007 Sep.110(5):1631-1638. Pubmedid: 17502456. Pmcid: PMC1975846.
- Alekshun T, Tao J, Sokol L. Aggressive T-cell large granular lymphocyte leukemia: a case report and review of the literature. Am J Hematol. 2007 Jun.82(6):481-485. Pubmedid: 17205534.
- Lwin T, Hazlehurst LA, Li Z, Dessureault S, Sotomayor E, Moscinski LC, Dalton WS, Tao J. Bone marrow stromal cells prevent apoptosis of lymphoma cells by upregulation of anti-apoptotic proteins associated with activation of NF-kappaB (RelB/p52) in non-Hodgkin's lymphoma cells. Leukemia. 2007 Jul.21(7):1521-1531. Pubmedid: 17476277.
- George P, Bali P, Cohen P, Tao J, Guo F, Sigua C, Vishvanath A, Fiskus W, Scuto A, Annavarapu S, Moscinski L, Bhalla K. Cotreatment with 17-allylamino-demethoxygeldanamycin and FLT-3 kinase inhibitor PKC412 is highly effective against human acute myelogenous leukemia cells with mutant FLT-3. Cancer Res. 2004 May.64(10):3645-3652. Pubmedid: 15150124.
- Bali P, George P, Cohen P, Tao J, Guo F, Sigua C, Vishvanath A, Scuto A, Annavarapu S, Fiskus W, Moscinski L, Atadja P, Bhalla K. Superior activity of the combination of histone deacetylase inhibitor LAQ824 and the FLT-3 kinase inhibitor PKC412 against human acute myelogenous leukemia cells with mutant FLT-3. Clin Cancer Res. 2004 Aug.10(15):4991-4997. Pubmedid: 15297399.
- Guo F, Sigua C, Tao J, Bali P, George P, Li Y, Wittmann S, Moscinski L, Atadja P, Bhalla K. Cotreatment with histone deacetylase inhibitor LAQ824 enhances Apo-2L/tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis inducing ligand-induced death inducing signaling complex activity and apoptosis of human acute leukemia cells. Cancer Res. 2004 Apr.64(7):2580-2589. Pubmedid: 15059915.
- Nimmanapalli R, Fuino L, Bali P, Gasparetto M, Glozak M, Tao J, Moscinski L, Smith C, Wu J, Jove R, Atadja P, Bhalla K. Histone deacetylase inhibitor LAQ824 both lowers expression and promotes proteasomal degradation of Bcr-Abl and induces apoptosis of imatinib mesylate-sensitive or -refractory chronic myelogenous leukemia-blast crisis cells. Cancer Res. 2003 Aug.63(16):5126-5135. Pubmedid: 12941844.
- Tao J, Flaherty K, Bagg A. Unusual hematologic malignancies. Case 1. Hematologic malignancy presenting with diarrhea and bony lesions: systemic mastocytosis. J Clin Oncol. 2002 Sep.20(17):3737-3739. Pubmedid: 12202674.
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive
different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.Learn more about our patient comments
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.