Find a Doctor
Hung Khong, MD
Locations: Moffitt McKinley Outpatient Center
Cancer Focus: Breast Cancer, Ductal Carcinoma In Situ , Inflammatory Breast Cancer , Invasive Ductal Carcinoma , Triple Negative Breast Cancer
Dr. Khong's clinical interests include breast cancer and cancer immunotherapy. He specializes in the treatment of breast cancer of all stages. He is interested in combining treatment methods such as chemotherpy or radiotherapy with immunotherapy and chemotherapy with targeted therapy. Dr. Khong has developed several innovative clinical trials for the neoadjuvant treatment of stages II and II breast cancer, and first-line therapy for metastatic breast cancer. He brings to Moffitt and innovative clinical trial that is the first in the country to combine endocrine therapy and checkpoint inhibitors in the neoadjuvant treatment of hormone-receptor positive breast cancer.
Education & Training
- Medical Oncology
- Internal Medicine
- National Cancer Institute - Medical Oncology
- National Cancer Institute - Surgery Branch
- Baylor College of Medicine - Internal Medicine Program
- Temple University School of Medicine(MD, - MD)
CLINICAL TRIAL 19803
A Phase II Trial With Safety Run-In Of Neoadjuvant Therapy With An Aromatase Inhibitor In Combination With Durvalumab (Medi4736) In Postmenopausal Patients With Hormone-Receptor-Positive Breast Cancer
Intervention: AMP-514 (Durvalumab); Anastrozole (); Arimadex (Anastrozole); Aromasin (Exemestane); Durvalumab (); Exemestane (); Femara (Letrozole); Letrozole (); MEDI4736 (Durvalumab)
CLINICAL TRIAL 20246
Elacestrant Monotherapy VS. Standard of Care for the Treatment of Patients with ER+/HER2- Advanced Breast Cancer Following CDK4/6 Inhibitor Therapy: A Phase 3 Randomized, Open-Label, Active-Controlled, Multicenter Trial (EMERALD)
Intervention: Anastrozole (); Arimadex (Anastrozole); Aromasin (Exemestane); Elacestrant (); Exemestane (); Faslodex (fulvestrant); Femara (Letrozole); Letrozole (); fulvestrant ()
- Truong A, Hyngstrom JR, Andtbacka RHI, Noyes RD, Wright M, Snyder J, Winters A, Sause WT, Grossmann KF, Khong HT, Bowen GM, Hitchcock YJ, Grossman D, Bowles TL. Recurrence risk of early-stage melanoma of the external ear: an investigation of surgical approach and sentinel lymph node status. Melanoma Res. 2020 Apr.30(2):173-178. Pubmedid: 31219456.
- Shafique M, Ismail-Khan R, Extermann M, Sullivan D, Goodridge D, Boulware D, Hogue D, Soliman H, Khong H, Han HS. A Phase II Trial of Selinexor (KPT-330) for Metastatic Triple-Negative Breast Cancer. Oncologist. 2019 Jul.24(7):887-e416. Pubmedid: 30996012. Pmcid: PMC6656474.
- West J, Robertson-Tessi M, Luddy K, Park DS, Williamson DFK, Harmon C, Khong HT, Brown J, Anderson ARA. The Immune Checkpoint Kick Start: Optimization of Neoadjuvant Combination Therapy Using Game Theory. JCO Clin Cancer Inform. 2019 Feb.3:1-12. Pubmedid: 30742484. Pmcid: PMC6873943.
- Khong B, Lawson BO, Ma J, McGovern C, Van Atta JK, Ray A, Khong HT. Rigor prophylaxis in stage IV melanoma and renal cell carcinoma patients treated with high dose IL-2. BMC Cancer. 2018 Oct;18(1):1007. Pubmedid: 30342473. Pmcid: PMC6195987.
- Ma J, Kuzman J, Ray A, Lawson BO, Khong B, Xuan S, Hahn AW, Khong HT. Neutrophil-to-lymphocyte Ratio (NLR) as a predictor for recurrence in patients with stage III melanoma. Sci Rep. 2018 Mar.8(1):4044. Pubmedid: 29511262. Pmcid: PMC5840418.
- Gardner LJ, Ward M, Andtbacka RHI, Boucher KM, Bowen GM, Bowles TL, Cohen AL, Grossmann K, Hitchcock YJ, Holmen SL, Hyngstrom J, Khong H, McMahon M, Monroe MM, Ross CB, Suneja G, Wada D, Grossman D. Risk factors for development of melanoma brain metastasis and disease progression: a single-center retrospective analysis. Melanoma Res. 2017 Oct;27(5):477-484. Pubmedid: 28800031. Pmcid: PMC5583702.
- Werner TL, Ray A, Lamb JG, VanBrocklin M, Hueftle K, Cohen AL, Beck AC, Buys SS, Dyess DL, Butler TW, Dumlao TL, Neumayer L, Khong HT. A Phase I Study of Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy With Nab-Paclitaxel, Doxorubicin, and Cyclophosphamide in Patients With Stage II to III Breast Cancer. Clin Breast Cancer. 2017 Nov;17(7):503-509. Pubmedid: 28579139.
- Bowen RC, Little NAB, Harmer JR, Ma J, Mirabelli LG, Roller KD, Breivik AM, Signor E, Miller AB, Khong HT. Neutrophil-to-lymphocyte ratio as prognostic indicator in gastrointestinal cancers: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Oncotarget. 2017 May;8(19):32171-32189. Pubmedid: 28418870. Pmcid: PMC5458276.
- Lawson BO, Khong HT. Narcoleptic-like Episodes in a Patient Receiving Pegylated Interferon-alpha 2b: A Case Report and Review of Literature. Anticancer Res. 2017 Mar;37(3):1365-1368. Pubmedid: 28314304.
- Bowen RC, Hahn AW, Butler TW, Khong HT. Complete response to azacitidine priming and nab-paclitaxel in non-Hodgkin lymphoma resistant to biochemotherapy. Mol Clin Oncol. 2017 Jan.6(1):122-124. Pubmedid: 28123744. Pmcid: PMC5245156.
- Cohen AL, Ray A, Van Brocklin M, Burnett DM, Bowen RC, Dyess DL, Butler TW, Dumlao T, Khong HT. A phase I trial of azacitidine and nanoparticle albumin bound paclitaxel in patients with advanced or metastatic solid tumors. Oncotarget. 2017 Aug;8(32):52413-52419. Pubmedid: 28881739. Pmcid: PMC5581038.
- Ray A, Williams MA, Meek SM, Bowen RC, Grossmann KF, Andtbacka RH, Bowles TL, Hyngstrom JR, Leachman SA, Grossman D, Bowen GM, Holmen SL, VanBrocklin MW, Suneja G, Khong HT. A phase I study of intratumoral ipilimumab and interleukin-2 in patients with advanced melanoma. Oncotarget. 2016 Sep;7(39):64390-64399. Pubmedid: 27391442. Pmcid: PMC5325451.
- Liu Z, Smith KR, Khong HT, Huang J, Ahn EE, Zhou M, Tan M. miR-125b regulates differentiation and metabolic reprogramming of T cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia by directly targeting A20. Oncotarget. 2016 Nov;7(48):78667-78679. Pubmedid: 27637078. Pmcid: PMC5346668.
- Cohen AL, Ray A, Van Brocklin M, Burnett DM, Bowen RC, Dyess DL, Butler TW, Dumlao T, Khong HT. A phase I trial of azacitidine and nanoparticle albumin bound paclitaxel in patients with advanced or metastatic solid tumors. Oncotarget. 2016 Dec. Pubmedid: 28039455.
- Ray A, Khong B, Khong HT. A Case Report of Pneumocystis Jiroveci Pneumonia in a Patient with Metastatic Breast Cancer. Anticancer Res. 2016 Dec;36(12):6673-6676. Pubmedid: 27920001.
- Duffy KL, Truong A, Bowen GM, Andtbacka RH, Hyngstrom J, Bowles T, Grossmann K, Khong H, Hyde M, Florell SR, Bowen AR, Wada D, Grossman D. Adequacy of 5-mm surgical excision margins for non-lentiginous melanoma in situ. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2014 Oct;71(4):835-838. Pubmedid: 25219711. Pmcid: PMC4167347.
- Liu Z, Liu H, Desai S, Schmitt DC, Zhou M, Khong HT, Klos KS, McClellan S, Fodstad O, Tan M. miR-125b functions as a key mediator for snail-induced stem cell propagation and chemoresistance. J Biol Chem. 2013 Feb;288(6):4334-4345. Pubmedid: 23255607. Pmcid: PMC3567684.
- Andtbacka RH, Donaldson MR, Bowles TL, Bowen GM, Grossmann K, Khong H, Grossman D, Anker C, Florell SR, Bowen A, Duffy KL, Leachman SA, Noyes RD. Sentinel lymph node biopsy for melanoma in pregnant women. Ann Surg Oncol. 2013 Feb;20(2):689-696. Pubmedid: 23054111.
- Howell PM, Liu Z, Khong HT. Demethylating Agents in the Treatment of Cancer. Pharmaceuticals (Basel). 2010 Jul.3(7):2022-2044. Pubmedid: 27713340. Pmcid: PMC4036667.
- Wang Y, Radfar S, Liu S, Riker AI, Khong HT. Mitf-Mdel, a novel melanocyte/melanoma-specific isoform of microphthalmia-associated transcription factor-M, as a candidate biomarker for melanoma. BMC Med. 2010 Feb;8:14. Pubmedid: 20163701. Pmcid: PMC2839965.
- Wang Y, Radfar S, Khong HT. Activated CD4+ T cells enhance radiation effect through the cooperation of interferon-gamma and TNF-alpha. BMC Cancer. 2010 Feb;10:60. Pubmedid: 20178622. Pmcid: PMC2843673.
- Zhao YH, Zhou M, Liu H, Ding Y, Khong HT, Yu D, Fodstad O, Tan M. Upregulation of lactate dehydrogenase A by ErbB2 through heat shock factor 1 promotes breast cancer cell glycolysis and growth. Oncogene. 2009 Oct.28(42):3689-3701. Pubmedid: 19668225.
- Radfar S, Wang Y, Khong HT. Activated CD4+ T cells dramatically enhance chemotherapeutic tumor responses in vitro and in vivo. J Immunol. 2009 Nov;183(10):6800-6807. Pubmedid: 19846868.
- Barve M, Bender J, Senzer N, Cunningham C, Greco FA, McCune D, Steis R, Khong H, Richards D, Stephenson J, Ganesa P, Nemunaitis J, Ishioka G, Pappen B, Nemunaitis M, Morse M, Mills B, Maples PB, Sherman J, Nemunaitis JJ. Induction of immune responses and clinical efficacy in a phase II trial of IDM-2101, a 10-epitope cytotoxic T-lymphocyte vaccine, in metastatic non-small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2008 Sep;26(27):4418-4425. Pubmedid: 18802154.
- Riker AI, Radfar S, Liu S, Wang Y, Khong HT. Immunotherapy of melanoma: a critical review of current concepts and future strategies. Expert Opin Biol Ther. 2007 Mar;7(3):345-358. Pubmedid: 17309326.
- Wang QJ, Hanada K, Perry-Lalley D, Bettinotti MP, Karpova T, Khong HT, Yang JC. Generating renal cancer-reactive T cells using dendritic cells (DCs) to present autologous tumor. J Immunother. 2005 Nov.28(6):551-559. Pubmedid: 16224272.
- Klebanoff CA, Khong HT, Antony PA, Palmer DC, Restifo NP. Sinks, suppressors and antigen presenters: how lymphodepletion enhances T cell-mediated tumor immunotherapy. Trends Immunol. 2005 Feb;26(2):111-117. Pubmedid: 15668127. Pmcid: PMC1388277.
- Liu G, Akasaki Y, Khong HT, Wheeler CJ, Das A, Black KL, Yu JS. Cytotoxic T cell targeting of TRP-2 sensitizes human malignant glioma to chemotherapy. Oncogene. 2005 Aug;24(33):5226-5234. Pubmedid: 15897911.
- Zhao Y, Zheng Z, Robbins PF, Khong HT, Rosenberg SA, Morgan RA. Primary human lymphocytes transduced with NY-ESO-1 antigen-specific TCR genes recognize and kill diverse human tumor cell lines. J Immunol. 2005 Apr;174(7):4415-4423. Pubmedid: 15778407. Pmcid: PMC2174604.
- Liu G, Khong HT, Wheeler CJ, Yu JS, Black KL, Ying H. Molecular and functional analysis of tyrosinase-related protein (TRP)-2 as a cytotoxic T lymphocyte target in patients with malignant glioma. J Immunother. 2003 Jul.26(4):301-312. Pubmedid: 12843792.
- Khong HT, Restifo NP. Natural selection of tumor variants in the generation of "tumor escape" phenotypes. Nat Immunol. 2002 Nov;3(11):999-1005. Pubmedid: 12407407. Pmcid: PMC1508168.
- Khong HT, Rosenberg SA. The Waardenburg syndrome type 4 gene, SOX10, is a novel tumor-associated antigen identified in a patient with a dramatic response to immunotherapy. Cancer Res. 2002 Jun;62(11):3020-3023. Pubmedid: 12036907. Pmcid: PMC2561957.
- Khong HT, Rosenberg SA. Pre-existing immunity to tyrosinase-related protein (TRP)-2, a new TRP-2 isoform, and the NY-ESO-1 melanoma antigen in a patient with a dramatic response to immunotherapy. J Immunol. 2002 Jan;168(2):951-956. Pubmedid: 11777994. Pmcid: PMC2430890.
- Khong HT, McCarthy J. Chlorambucil-induced pulmonary disease: a case report and review of the literature. Ann Hematol. 1998 Jul;77(1-2):85-87. Pubmedid: 9760160.
- Thurber SE, Khong HT, Kammula US, Rosenberg SA. Identification of endogenous HLA-A2-restricted reactivity against shared melanoma antigens in patients using the quantitative real-time polymerase chain reaction. J Immunother. 25(1):63-71. Pubmedid: 11924911. Pmcid: PMC2424231.
- Huang J, Khong HT, Dudley ME, El-Gamil M, Li YF, Rosenberg SA, Robbins PF. Survival, persistence, and progressive differentiation of adoptively transferred tumor-reactive T cells associated with tumor regression. J Immunother. 28(3):258-267. Pubmedid: 15838383. Pmcid: PMC2174599.
- Khong HT, Yang JC, Topalian SL, Sherry RM, Mavroukakis SA, White DE, Rosenberg SA. Immunization of HLA-A*0201 and/or HLA-DPbeta1*04 patients with metastatic melanoma using epitopes from the NY-ESO-1 antigen. J Immunother. 27(6):472-477. Pubmedid: 15534491. Pmcid: PMC2227905.
- Khong HT, Wang QJ, Rosenberg SA. Identification of multiple antigens recognized by tumor-infiltrating lymphocytes from a single patient: tumor escape by antigen loss and loss of MHC expression. J Immunother. 27(3):184-190. Pubmedid: 15076135. Pmcid: PMC2275330.
- Zhao Y, Zheng Z, Khong HT, Rosenberg SA, Morgan RA. Transduction of an HLA-DP4-restricted NY-ESO-1-specific TCR into primary human CD4+ lymphocytes. J Immunother. 29(4):398-406. Pubmedid: 16799335. Pmcid: PMC1510955.
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive
different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.Learn more about our patient comments
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.