Find a Doctor Search
Dr. Howard Lilienfeld is the section chief of Endocrinology at Moffitt Cancer Center and an assistant professor at the University of South Florida’s College of Medicine Department of Oncologic Sciences. Dr. Lilienfeld is a specialist in endocrinology, diabetes and metabolism. His research interests include the potential link between breast cancer and thyroid disease. A graduate of Dalhousie University Medical School in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Dr. Lilienfeld completed his residency at Dalhousie University Teaching Hospital. He served two postdoctoral fellowships in clinical endocrinology and metabolism at University of Toronto-affiliated hospitals – Wellesley Hospital and then St. Michael’s Hospital, where he was chief resident and received additional training in nuclear medicine. Prior to joining Moffitt in 2006, Dr. Lilienfeld was Director of Clinical Research and a Clinical Endocrinologist at the Diabetes Care Institute at University Community Hospital in Tampa. Before that, he was a Clinical Assistant Professor of Medicine at Brown University School of Medicine in Providence, RI., a Senior Endocrinologist with the Lahey Clinic in Fall River, MA., and Medical Director of the Diabetes Treatment Center at Charlton Memorial Hospital, also in Fall River. Dr. Lilienfeld is a charter member of the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists and a member of the Endocrine Society. He has been widely published in professional publications and is a fellow of the American College of Physicians and the American College of Endocrinology.
Education & Training
- Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism
- University of Toronto, Canada - Endocrinology & Metabolism with training in Nuclear Medicine
- Dalhousie University Teaching Hospital, Canada - General Internal Medicine
- Dalhousie University Medical School, Canada - MD
- Valderrabano P, Klippenstein DL, Tourtelot JB, Ma Z, Thompson ZJ, Lilienfeld HS, McIver B. New American Thyroid Association Sonographic Patterns for Thyroid Nodules Perform Well in Medullary Thyroid Carcinoma: Institutional Experience, Systematic Review, and Meta-Analysis. Thyroid. 2016 Aug;26(8):1093-1100. Pubmedid: 27267210.
- Campderá M, Palacios N, Aller J, Magallón R, Martín P, Saucedo G, Lilienfeld H, Estrada J. Temozolomide for aggressive ACTH pituitary tumors: failure of a second course of treatment. Pituitary. 2016 Apr;19(2):158-166. Pubmedid: 26586560.
- Kumar NB, Vadaparampil ST, Mahajan N, Lilienfeld HS, Lee JH, Laronga C, Hakam A, Hein JJ, Egan KM, Arun B, Pal T. Metformin- A Promising Agent for Chemoprevention in BRCA1 Carriers. Hereditary Genet. 2012 Jun;1(2). Pubmedid: 26097796. Pmcid: PMC4474476.
- McLean K, Lilienfeld H, Caracciolo JT, Hoffe S, Tourtelot JB, Carter WB. [In Process Citation]. Cancer Control. 2011 Apr;18(2):113-126. Pubmedid: 21451454.
- Carter WB, Tourtelot JB, Savell JG, Lilienfeld H. New treatments and shifting paradigms in differentiated thyroid cancer management. Cancer Control. 2011 Apr;18(2):96-103. Pubmedid: 21451452.
- Lilienfeld H, Carter WB. Changing paradigms in the treatment of endocrine tumors. Cancer Control. 2011 Apr;18(2):80-81. Pubmedid: 21451449.
- Carpenter KJ, Murtagh RD, Lilienfeld H, Weber J, Murtagh FR. Ipilimumab-induced hypophysitis: MR Imaging Findings. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2009 Oct;30(9):1751-1753. Pubmedid: 19474123.