Soares, MD, PhD
Heloisa P. Soares, MD, PhD
Dr. Heloisa Soares is a medical oncologist in the Department of Gastrointestinal Oncology at Moffitt Cancer Center. She is an assistant professor of oncology at the University of South Florida, Morsani College of Medicine. Her clinical and research interests focus on gastrointestinal tumors, in particular neuroendocrine tumors and pancreatic cancer. Dr. Soares received her medical degree from Faculdade de Medicina da Funcadao ABC in Brazil. She completed her internal medicine residency at Mount Sinai Medical Center of Florida in Miami Beach, FL. She then pursued a hematology/oncology fellowship at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) and a PhD in molecular biology with focus in signal transduction. Before coming to Moffitt in 2015, Dr. Soares was a clinical instructor at UCLA. She is widely published, including publication at prestigious journals such as JAMA and JCO. In 2014, she received a Seed Grant award from the Hirshberg Foundation for Pancreatic Cancer. Dr. Soares is a member of the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO), American Association of Cancer Research (AACR) and The North American Neuroendocrine Tumor Society (NANETS). She is fluent in English, Spanish and Portuguese.
Education & TrainingBOARD CERTIFICATION:
- Internal Medicine
- UCLA - Hematology Oncology
- UCLA - Molecular Oncology
- ABC Foundation School of Medicine - MD
- Cives M, Soares HP, Strosberg J. Will clinical heterogeneity of neuroendocrine tumors impact their management in the future? Lessons from recent trials. Curr Opin Oncol. 2016 Jul;28(4):359-366. Pubmedid: 27138571.
- Wainberg ZA, Soares HP, Patel R, DiCarlo B, Park DJ, Liem A, Wang HJ, Yonemoto L, Martinez D, Laux I, Brennan M, Hecht JR. Phase II trial of everolimus in patients with refractory metastatic adenocarcinoma of the esophagus, gastroesophageal junction and stomach: possible role for predictive biomarkers. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2015 Jul;76(1):61-67. Pubmedid: 25969130.
- Rozengurt E, Soares HP, Sinnet-Smith J. Suppression of feedback loops mediated by PI3K/mTOR induces multiple overactivation of compensatory pathways: an unintended consequence leading to drug resistance. Mol Cancer Ther. 2014 Nov;13(11):2477-2488. Pubmedid: 25323681. Pmcid: PMC4222988.
- Ming M, Sinnett-Smith J, Wang J, Soares HP, Young SH, Eibl G, Rozengurt E. Dose-Dependent AMPK-Dependent and Independent Mechanisms of Berberine and Metformin Inhibition of mTORC1, ERK, DNA Synthesis and Proliferation in Pancreatic Cancer Cells. PLoS One. 2014 Dec;9(12):e114573. Pubmedid: 25493642. Pmcid: PMC4262417.
- Soares HP, Bayraktar S, Blaya M, Lopes G, Merchan J, Macintyre J, Mayo C, Green MR, Silva O, Levi J, Walker G, Rocha-Lima CM. A phase II study of capecitabine plus docetaxel in gemcitabine-pretreated metastatic pancreatic cancer patients: CapTere. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2014 Apr;73(4):839-845. Pubmedid: 24562589.
- Soares HP, Ni Y, Kisfalvi K, Sinnett-Smith J, Rozengurt E. Different patterns of Akt and ERK feedback activation in response to rapamycin, active-site mTOR inhibitors and metformin in pancreatic cancer cells. PLoS One. 2013 Aug;8(2):e57289. Pubmedid: 23437362. Pmcid: PMC3578870.
- Mhaskar R, Djulbegovic B, Magazin A, Soares HP, Kumar A. Published methodological quality of randomized controlled trials does not reflect the actual quality assessed in protocols. J Clin Epidemiol. 2012 Jun;65(6):602-609. Pubmedid: 22424985. Pmcid: PMC3637913.
- Djulbegovic B, Kumar A, Magazin A, Schroen AT, Soares H, Hozo I, Clarke M, Sargent D, Schell MJ. Optimism bias leads to inconclusive results-an empirical study. J Clin Epidemiol. 2011 Jun;64(6):583-593. Pubmedid: 21163620. Pmcid: PMC3079810.
- Bassler D, Briel M, Montori VM, Lane M, Glasziou P, Zhou Q, Heels-Ansdell D, Walter SD, Guyatt GH, Flynn DN, Elamin MB, Murad MH, Abu Elnour NO, Lampropulos JF, Sood A, Mullan RJ, Erwin PJ, Bankhead CR, Perera R, Ruiz Culebro C, You JJ, Mulla SM, Kaur J, Nerenberg KA, Schünemann H, Cook DJ, Lutz K, Ribic CM, Vale N, Malaga G, Akl EA, Ferreira-Gonzalez I, Alonso-Coello P, Urrutia G, Kunz R, Bucher HC, Nordmann AJ, Raatz H, da Silva SA, Tuche F, Strahm B, Djulbegovic B, Adhikari NK, Mills EJ, Gwadry-Sridhar F, Kirpalani H, Soares HP, Karanicolas PJ, Burns KE, Vandvik PO, Coto-Yglesias F, Chrispim PP, Ramsay T. Stopping randomized trials early for benefit and estimation of treatment effects: systematic review and meta-regression analysis. Jama. 2010 Mar;303(12):1180-1187. Pubmedid: 20332404.
- Trufelli DC, Bensi CG, Garcia JB, Narahara JL, Abrão MN, Diniz RW, Miranda Vda C, Soares HP, Del Giglio A. Burnout in cancer professionals: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Eur J Cancer Care (Engl). 2008 Nov;17(6):524-531. Pubmedid: 18771533.
- Fletcher J, Djulbegovic B, Soares H, Siegel B, Lowe V, Lyman G, ColemanRE, Wahl R, Paschold J, Avril N, Einhorn L, Suh W, Samson D, Delbeke D, GormanM, Shields A. Recommendations on the use of 18F-FDG PET in oncology. J Nucl Med. 2008 Mar;49(3):480-508. Pubmedid: 18287273.
- Djulbegovic B, Kumar A, Soares HP, Hozo I, Bepler G, Clarke M, Bennett CL. Treatment success in cancer: new cancer treatment successes identified in phase 3 randomized controlled trials conducted by the National Cancer Institute-sponsored cooperative oncology groups, 1955 to 2006. Arch Intern Med. 2008 Mar;168(6):632-642. Pubmedid: 18362256. Pmcid: PMC2773511.
- Rocha-Lima CM, Soares HP, Raez LE, Singal R. EGFR targeting of solid tumors. Cancer Control. 2007 Jul;14(3):295-304. Pubmedid: 17615536.
- Soares H, Kumar A, Djulbegovic B. Evidence profiles for breast cancer: benefit/harms data based on the totality of randomized evidence. Cancer Treat Rev. 2007 Feb;33(1):87-89. Pubmedid: 17081695.
- Tanvetyanon T, Soares H, Djulbegovic B, Jacobsen P, Bepler G. A systematic review of quality of life associated with standard chemotherapy regimens for advanced non-small cell lung cancer. J Thorac Oncol. 2007 Dec;2(12):1091-1097. Pubmedid: 18090580.
- Behera M, Kumar A, Soares H, Sokol L, Djulbegovic B. Evidence-based medicine for rare diseases: implications for data interpretation and clinical trial design. Cancer Control. 2007 Apr;14(2):160-166. Pubmedid: 17387301.
- Kumar A, Soares H, Balducci L, Djulbegovic B. Treatment tolerance and efficacy in geriatric oncology: a systematic review of phase III randomized trials conducted by five National Cancer Institute-sponsored cooperative groups. J Clin Oncol. 2007 Apr;25(10):1272-1276. Pubmedid: 17401017.
- Kumar A, Soares H. Salvage radiotherapy increases survival in people with residual disease after chemotherapy for advance diffuse large cell lymphoma. Cancer Treat Rev. 2006 Oct;32(6):487-90. Pubmedid: 16725265.
- Kumar A, Soares H, Djulbegovic B. Evidence profiles for colo-rectal cancer: Benefit/harms data based on the totality of randomized evidence. 2006 Nov;32(7):577-580. Pubmedid: 16919883.
- Djulbegovic B, Soares H, Kumar A. What kind of evidence do patients and practitioners need: Evidence profiles based on 5 key evidence-based principles to summarize data on benefits and harms. 2006 Nov;32(7):572-576. Pubmedid: 16914268.
- Soares H, Kumar A, Djulbegovic B. Evidence profiles for lung cancer: benefit/harms data based on the totality of randomized evidence. Cancer Treat Rev. 2006 Dec;32(8):652-655. Pubmedid: 17008011.
- Soares HP, Kumar A, Daniels S, Swann S, Cantor A, Hozo I, Clark M, Serdarevic F, Gwede C, Trotti A, Djulbegovic B. Evaluation of new treatments in radiation oncology: are they better than standard treatments?. Jama. 2005 Feb;293(8):970-978. Pubmedid: 15728168. Pmcid: PMC1779758.
- Kumar A, Soares H, Wells R, Clarke M, Hozo I, Bleyer A, Reaman G, Chalmers I, Djulbegovic B. Are experimental treatments for cancer in children superior to established treatments? Observational study of randomised controlled trials by the Children's Oncology Group. Bmj. 2005 Dec;331(7528):1295. Pubmedid: 16299015. Pmcid: PMC1298846.
- Weinschenker P, Soares HP, Clark O, Del Giglio A. Immunocytochemical detection of epithelial cells in the bone marrow of primary breast cancer patients: a meta-analysis. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2004 Oct;87(3):215-224. Pubmedid: 15528964.
- Megale Costa LJ, Soares HP, Gaspar HA, Trujillo LG, Santi PX, Pereira RS, de Santana TL, Pinto FN, del Giglio A. Ratio between positive lymph nodes and total dissected axillaries lymph nodes as an independent prognostic factor for disease-free survival in patients with breast cancer. Am J Clin Oncol. 2004 Jun;27(3):304-306. Pubmedid: 15170153.
- Soares HP, Daniels S, Kumar A, Clarke M, Scott C, Swann S, Djulbegovic B. Bad reporting does not mean bad methods for randomised trials: observational study of randomised controlled trials performed by the Radiation Therapy Oncology Group. Bmj. 2004 Jan;328(7430):22-24. Pubmedid: 14703540. Pmcid: PMC313900.
- Fonseca FL, Soares HP, Manhani AR, Bendit I, Novaes M, Zatta SM, Arias V, Pinhal MA, Weinschenker P, del Giglio A. Peripheral blood c-erbB-2 expression by reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction in breast cancer patients receiving chemotherapy. Clin Breast Cancer. 2002 Aug;3(3):201-205. Pubmedid: 12196278.
- Manhani AR, Manhani R, Soares HP, Bendit I, Lopes F, Nicoletti AG, Fonseca FL, Novaes M, Zatta SM, Arias V, Giralt S, del Giglio A. CK-19 expression by RT-PCR in the peripheral blood of breast cancer patients correlates with response to chemotherapy. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2001 Apr;66(3):249-254. Pubmedid: 11510696.
- del Giglio A, Soares HP, Caparroz C, Castro PC. Granisetron is equivalent to ondansetron for prophylaxis of chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting: results of a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Cancer. 2000 Dec;89(11):2301-2308. Pubmedid: 11147601.
- Kumar A, Soares H, Serdarevic F. Totality of evidence: one of the keys to better oncology management. J Oncol Manag. 14(1):12-14. Pubmedid: 15773599.
CLINICAL TRIAL 18837
An Open-Label Study of Rovalpituzumab Tesirine in Subjects with Delta-Like Protein 3-Expressing Advanced Solid Tumors
Intervention: Dexamethasone; Rovalpituzumab Tesirine
CLINICAL TRIAL 18739
A Phase 1 Dose Escalation And Cohort Expansion Study Of ERY974, AN ANTI-GLYPICAN 3 (GPC3)/CD3 Bispecific Antibody, In Patients With Advanced Solid Tumors
Condition: Gastrointestinal Tumor
CLINICAL TRIAL 18396
A Phase III Clinical Trial Evaluating TheraSphere® in Patients with Metastatic Colorectal Carcinoma of the Liver who have Failed First Line Chemotherapy
Condition: Gastrointestinal Tumor
Intervention: FOLFIRI; FOLFOX
If you believe you are eligible for one of these trials or studies, please call