Find a Doctor
Dr. Estrella Carballido is an Assistant Member in the Moffitt Cancer Center Department of Gastrointestinal Oncology. Dr. Carballido received her MD degree magna cum laude at the University of Puerto Rico School of Medicine in San Juan. She then completed an Internal Medicine Residency at the University of South Florida, where she served as Chief Resident. Dr. Carballido completed her Fellowship in Oncology/Hematology at Moffitt Cancer Center, and joined the Faculty as an Assistant Member. Dr. Carballido has practiced at The Mayo Clinic Cancer Center in Scottsdale, Arizona, and at Florida Cancer Specialists in Lee County. Dr. Carballido’s clinical interest is conducting clinical trials for patients with gastrointestinal tumors and identifying novel drug targets for personalized medicine. Dr. Carballido has a special interest in the development of strategies to diminish health care disparities in cancer care and increase enrollment of minorities in clinical trials.
Education & Training
- Medical Oncology
- H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute - Hematology and Oncology
- University of South Florida College of Medicine - Internal Medicine
- University of Puerto Rico School of Medicine - MD
CLINICAL TRIAL 18051
A Phase 1, First-in-Human, Open Label, Dose Escalation Study of MGD007, A Humanized gpA33 x CD3 Dual-Affinity Re-Targeting (DART) Protein in Patients with Relapsed/Refractory Metastatic Colorectal Carcinoma
CLINICAL TRIAL 19460
An Open-Label, Dose Escalation, Phase 1, First-in-Human Study of TAK-164, an Antibody-Drug Conjugate, in Patients with Advanced Gastrointestinal Cancers Expressing Guanylyl Cyclase C
CLINICAL TRIAL 19615
A Phase 1b/2, Open Label, Dose Escalation Study of MGD007, a Humanized gpA33 x CD3 DART Protein in Combination with MGA012, an Anti-PD-1 Antibody, in Patients with Relapsed or Refractory Metastatic Colorectal Carcinoma
Intervention: MGA012; MGD007
CLINICAL TRIAL 19597
A Randomized Phase 2 Study of Atezolizumab in Combination with Cobimetinib versus Atezolizumab Monotherapy in Participants with resectable Cholangiocarcinoma
Intervention: Atezolizumab (Tecentriq); Cobimetinib
- Martin JW, Carballido EM, Ahmed A, Farhan B, Dutta R, Smith C, Youssef RF. Squamous cell carcinoma of the urinary bladder: Systematic review of clinical characteristics and therapeutic approaches. Arab J Urol. 2016 Sep;14(3):183-191. Pubmedid: 27547458. Pmcid: PMC4983161.
- Ho TH, Nateras RN, Yan H, Park JG, Jensen S, Borges C, Lee JH, Champion MD, Tibes R, Bryce AH, Carballido EM, Todd MA, Joseph RW, Wong WW, Parker AS, Stanton ML, Castle EP. A Multidisciplinary Biospecimen Bank of Renal Cell Carcinomas Compatible with Discovery Platforms at Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, Arizona. PLoS One. 2015 Jul;10(7):e0132831. Pubmedid: 26181416. Pmcid: PMC4504486.
- Joseph RW, Millis SZ, Carballido EM, Bryant D, Gatalica Z, Reddy S, Bryce AH, Vogelzang NJ, Stanton ML, Castle EP, Ho TH. PD-1 and PD-L1 Expression in Renal Cell Carcinoma with Sarcomatoid Differentiation. Cancer Immunol Res. 2015 Dec;3(12):1303-1307. Pubmedid: 26307625. Pmcid: PMC4674298.
- Horsley-Silva JL, Dow EN, Menias CO, Smith ML, Carballido EM, Lindor KD, Vargas HE. Docetaxel Induced Sclerosing Cholangitis. Digest Dis Sci. 2015 Dec;60(12):3814-3816. Pubmedid: 26501143.
- Carballido EM, Rosenberg JE. Optimal treatment for metastatic bladder cancer. Curr Oncol Rep. 2014 Sep;16(9):404. Pubmedid: 25056737.
- Tyson MD, Bryce AH, Ho TH, Carballido EM, Castle EP. Perioperative complications after neoadjuvant chemotherapy and radical cystectomy for bladder cancer. Can J Urol. 2014 Jun;21(3):7259-7265. Pubmedid: 24978354.
- Trimaldi J, Carballido EM, Bowers JW, Anguiano AL, Zhang ZJ, Shah BD, Bruno S, List AF, Moscinski LC, Grady T, Agosti SJ, Kang L, Zhang L. B-lymphoblastic leukemia/lymphoma associated with t(8;13)(p11;q12)/ ZMYM2 (ZNF198)-FGFR1 : rare case and review of the literature. Acta Haematol. 2013 Dec;130(3):127-134. Pubmedid: 23594707.
- Carballido E, Veliz M, Komrokji R, Pinilla-Ibarz J. Immunomodulatory drugs and active immunotherapy for chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Cancer Control. 2012 Jan;19(1):54-67. Pubmedid: 22143062.
- Gupta S, Carballido E, Fishman M. Sipuleucel-T for therapy of asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic, castrate-refractory prostate cancer: an update and perspective among other treatments. Onco Targets Ther. 2011 Nov;4:79-96. Pubmedid: 21792315. Pmcid: PMC3143908.
- Carballido E, Fishman M. Sipuleucel-T: Prototype for development of anti-tumor vaccines. Curr Oncol Rep. 2011 Apr;13(2):112-119. Pubmedid: 21243538.