Find a Doctor
Estrella Carballido Romero, MD
Locations: Moffitt Cancer Center
Dr. Estrella Carballido is an Assistant Member in the Moffitt Cancer Center Department of Gastrointestinal Oncology. Dr. Carballido received her MD degree magna cum laude at the University of Puerto Rico School of Medicine in San Juan. She then completed an Internal Medicine Residency at the University of South Florida, where she served as Chief Resident. Dr. Carballido completed her Fellowship in Oncology/Hematology at Moffitt Cancer Center, and joined the Faculty as an Assistant Member. Dr. Carballido has practiced at The Mayo Clinic Cancer Center in Scottsdale, Arizona, and at Florida Cancer Specialists in Lee County. Dr. Carballido’s clinical interest is conducting clinical trials for patients with gastrointestinal tumors and identifying novel drug targets for personalized medicine. Dr. Carballido has a special interest in the development of strategies to diminish health care disparities in cancer care and increase enrollment of minorities in clinical trials.
Education & Training
- Medical Oncology
- Internal Medicine
- Internal Medicine
- H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute - Hematology and Oncology
- University of South Florida College of Medicine - Internal Medicine
- University of Puerto Rico School of Medicine(MD, - MD)
CLINICAL TRIAL 19860
EL CENTRO: Engaging Latinos in the Center of Cancer Treatment Options - RCT of Usual Chemotherapy Educational Tools versus Investigational Chemotherapy Educational Tools
Condition: Gastrointestinal Tumor
- Frazer ML, Yang G, Felder S, McDonald J, Sanchez J, Dessureault S, Imanirad I, Carballido E, Kim RD, Hoffe SE, Frakes JM. Determining Optimal Follow-up for Patients With Anal Cancer Following Chemoradiation. Am J Clin Oncol. 2020 Feb.43(5):319-324. Pubmedid: 32028341.
- Permuth JB, Clark Daly A, Jeong D, Choi JW, Cameron ME, Chen DT, Teer JK, Barnett TE, Li J, Powers BD, Kumar NB, George TJ, Ali KN, Huynh T, Vyas S, Gwede CK, Simmons VN, Hodul PJ, Carballido EM, Judge AR, Fleming JB, Merchant N, Trevino JG. Racial and ethnic disparities in a state-wide registry of patients with pancreatic cancer and an exploratory investigation of cancer cachexia as a contributor to observed inequities. Cancer Med. 2019 Jun.8(6):3314-3324. Pubmedid: 31074202. Pmcid: PMC6558500.
- Martin JW, Carballido EM, Ahmed A, Farhan B, Dutta R, Smith C, Youssef RF. Squamous cell carcinoma of the urinary bladder: Systematic review of clinical characteristics and therapeutic approaches. Arab J Urol. 2016 Sep;14(3):183-191. Pubmedid: 27547458. Pmcid: PMC4983161.
- Ho TH, Nateras RN, Yan H, Park JG, Jensen S, Borges C, Lee JH, Champion MD, Tibes R, Bryce AH, Carballido EM, Todd MA, Joseph RW, Wong WW, Parker AS, Stanton ML, Castle EP. A Multidisciplinary Biospecimen Bank of Renal Cell Carcinomas Compatible with Discovery Platforms at Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, Arizona. PLoS One. 2015 Jul;10(7):e0132831. Pubmedid: 26181416. Pmcid: PMC4504486.
- Joseph RW, Millis SZ, Carballido EM, Bryant D, Gatalica Z, Reddy S, Bryce AH, Vogelzang NJ, Stanton ML, Castle EP, Ho TH. PD-1 and PD-L1 Expression in Renal Cell Carcinoma with Sarcomatoid Differentiation. Cancer Immunol Res. 2015 Dec;3(12):1303-1307. Pubmedid: 26307625. Pmcid: PMC4674298.
- Horsley-Silva JL, Dow EN, Menias CO, Smith ML, Carballido EM, Lindor KD, Vargas HE. Docetaxel Induced Sclerosing Cholangitis. Digest Dis Sci. 2015 Dec;60(12):3814-3816. Pubmedid: 26501143.
- Carballido EM, Rosenberg JE. Optimal treatment for metastatic bladder cancer. Curr Oncol Rep. 2014 Sep;16(9):404. Pubmedid: 25056737.
- Tyson MD, Bryce AH, Ho TH, Carballido EM, Castle EP. Perioperative complications after neoadjuvant chemotherapy and radical cystectomy for bladder cancer. Can J Urol. 2014 Jun;21(3):7259-7265. Pubmedid: 24978354.
- Trimaldi J, Carballido EM, Bowers JW, Anguiano AL, Zhang ZJ, Shah BD, Bruno S, List AF, Moscinski LC, Grady T, Agosti SJ, Kang L, Zhang L. B-lymphoblastic leukemia/lymphoma associated with t(8;13)(p11;q12)/ ZMYM2 (ZNF198)-FGFR1 : rare case and review of the literature. Acta Haematol. 2013 Dec;130(3):127-134. Pubmedid: 23594707.
- Carballido E, Veliz M, Komrokji R, Pinilla-Ibarz J. Immunomodulatory drugs and active immunotherapy for chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Cancer Control. 2012 Jan;19(1):54-67. Pubmedid: 22143062.
- Gupta S, Carballido E, Fishman M. Sipuleucel-T for therapy of asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic, castrate-refractory prostate cancer: an update and perspective among other treatments. Onco Targets Ther. 2011 Nov;4:79-96. Pubmedid: 21792315. Pmcid: PMC3143908.
- Carballido E, Fishman M. Sipuleucel-T: Prototype for development of anti-tumor vaccines. Curr Oncol Rep. 2011 Apr;13(2):112-119. Pubmedid: 21243538.
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive
different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.Learn more about our patient comments
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.