Find a Doctor
Dr. Benjamin Powers is an Assistant Member in the Moffitt Cancer Center Department of Satellite and Community Oncology. Dr. Powers is based at Tampa General Hospital and Moffitt International Plaza (MIP). Dr. Powers earned his MD at Wayne State University School of Medicine and MS at Temple University, Department of Public Health. He completed a Residency in General Surgery at Temple University Hospital, where he also served as Chief Resident. Dr. Powers recently completed a Fellowship in Complex General Surgical Oncology at Moffitt Cancer Center. Dr. Powers’ clinical interests involve gastrointestinal malignancies, with a specific focus on gastric, hepatobiliary, and pancreatic tumors. His research focuses on improving clinical outcomes in oncology as it relates to 1) devising and implementing new methods to study cancer disparities and 2) constructing interventions to overcome these disparities.
Education & Training
- Surgical Oncology
- Moffitt Cancer Center - Complex General Surgical Oncology
- Temple University Hospital - General Surgery
- Wayne State University School of Medicine - MD
- DePeralta DK, Ogami T, Zhou JM, Schell MJ, Powers BD, Hodul PJ, Malafa MP, Fleming JB. Completion of adjuvant therapy in patients with resected pancreatic cancer. HPB (Oxford). 2019 Sep. Pubmedid: 31563326.
- Wiseman JT, Kimbrough C, Beal EW, Zaidi MY, Staley CA, Grotz T, Leiting J, Fournier K, Lee AJ, Dineen S, Powers B, Veerapong J, Baumgartner JM, Clarke C, Patel SH, Dhar V, Hendrix RJ, Lambert L, Abbott DE, Pokrzywa C, Raoof M, Lee B, Fackche N, Greer J, Pawlik TM, Abdel-Misih S, Cloyd JM. Predictors of Anastomotic Failure After Cytoreductive Surgery and Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy: Does Technique Matter?. Ann Surg Oncol. 2019 Oct. Pubmedid: 31659645.
- Lee TC, Wima K, Sussman JJ, Ahmad SA, Cloyd JM, Ahmed A, Fournier K, Lee AJ, Dineen S, Powers B, Veerapong J, Baumgartner JM, Clarke C, Mogal H, Zaidi MY, Maithel SK, Leiting J, Grotz T, Lambert L, Hendrix RJ, Abbott DE, Pokrzywa C, Blakely AM, Lee B, Johnston FM, Greer J, Patel SH. Readmissions After Cytoreductive Surgery and Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy: a US HIPEC Collaborative Study. J Gastrointest Surg. 2019 Nov. Pubmedid: 31745888.
- Powers BD, Rothermel LD, Fleming JB, Strosberg JR, Anaya DA. A Survival Analysis of Patients with Localized, Asymptomatic Pancreatic Neuroendocrine Tumors: No Surgical Survival Benefit when Examining Appropriately Selected Outcomes. J Gastrointest Surg. 2019 Nov. Pubmedid: 31754990.
- Permuth JB, Clark Daly A, Jeong D, Choi JW, Cameron ME, Chen DT, Teer JK, Barnett TE, Li J, Powers BD, Kumar NB, George TJ, Ali KN, Huynh T, Vyas S, Gwede CK, Simmons VN, Hodul PJ, Carballido EM, Judge AR, Fleming JB, Merchant N, Trevino JG. Racial and ethnic disparities in a state-wide registry of patients with pancreatic cancer and an exploratory investigation of cancer cachexia as a contributor to observed inequities. Cancer Med. 2019 Jun.8(6):3314-3324. Pubmedid: 31074202. Pmcid: PMC6558500.
- Gamboa AC, Zaidi MY, Lee RM, Speegle S, Switchenko JM, Lipscomb J, Cloyd JM, Ahmed A, Grotz T, Leiting J, Fournier K, Lee AJ, Dineen S, Powers BD, Lowy AM, Kotha NV, Clarke C, Gamblin TC, Patel SH, Lee TC, Lambert L, Hendrix RJ, Abbott DE, Vande Walle K, Lafaro K, Lee B, Johnston FM, Greer J, Russell MC, Staley CA, Maithel SK. Optimal Surveillance Frequency After CRS/HIPEC for Appendiceal and Colorectal Neoplasms: A Multi-institutional Analysis of the US HIPEC Collaborative. Ann Surg Oncol. 2019 Jun.27(1):134-146. Pubmedid: 31243668. Pmcid: PMC6925634.
- Powers BD, Fulp W, Dhahri A, DePeralta DK, Ogami T, Rothermel L, Permuth JB, Vadaparampil ST, Kim JK, Pimiento J, Hodul PJ, Malafa MP, Anaya DA, Fleming JB. The Impact of Socioeconomic Deprivation on Clinical Outcomes for Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma at a High-volume Cancer Center: A Retrospective Cohort Analysis. Ann Surg. 2019 Dec. Pubmedid: 31851004.
- Sabesan A, Felder S, Feuerlein S, Lam C, McGettigan M, Powers BD, Dessureault S, Dineen SP. Preoperative Radiographic Assessment Predicts Incomplete Cytoreduction in Patients with Low Grade Mucinous Adenocarcinoma of the Appendix. Ann Surg Oncol. 2019 Aug.27(1):165-170. Pubmedid: 31388776.
- Powers B, Pal T, Laronga C. Considerations in Testing for Inherited Breast Cancer Predisposition in the Era of Personalized Medicine. Surg Oncol Clin N Am. 2018 Jan;27(1):1-22. Pubmedid: 29132555.
- Pitt HA, Tsypenyuk E, Freeman SL, Carson SR, Shinefeld JA, Hinkle SM, Powers BD, Goldberg AJ, DiSesa VJ, Kaiser LR. Transforming Patient Value: Comparison of Hospital, Surgical, and General Surgery Patients. J Am Coll Surg. 2016 Apr.222(4):568-575. Pubmedid: 26916131.
- Powers BD, Montes JA, Nguyen DC, Nick DA, Daly MP, Davey A, Willis AI. Demographic risk factors impacting timely radiation therapy completion after breast conserving surgery. Am J Surg. 2015 Nov.210(5):891-895. Pubmedid: 26282892.
- Boden G, Cheung P, Kresge K, Homko C, Powers B, Ferrer L. Insulin resistance is associated with diminished endoplasmic reticulum stress responses in adipose tissue of healthy and diabetic subjects. Diabetes. 2014 Sep.63(9):2977-2983. Pubmedid: 24740571. Pmcid: PMC4141374.
- Singla S, Papavasiliou P, Powers B, Gaughan J, von Mehren M, Watson JC, Farma JM. Challenges in the treatment of angiosarcoma: a single institution experience. Am J Surg. 2014 Aug.208(2):254-259. Pubmedid: 24811931.
- Taghavi S, Jayarajan SN, Powers BD, Davey A, Willis AI. Examining rectal carcinoids in the era of screening colonoscopy: a surveillance, epidemiology, and end results analysis. Dis Colon Rectum. 2013 Aug.56(8):952-959. Pubmedid: 23838863.
- Wei Y, Deikus G, Powers B, Shelden V, Krulwich TA, Bechhofer DH. Adaptive gene expression in Bacillus subtilis strains deleted for tetL. J Bacteriol. 2006 Oct.188(20):7090-7100. Pubmedid: 17015648. Pmcid: PMC1636236.
- Terahara N, Fujisawa M, Powers B, Henkin TM, Krulwich TA, Ito M. An intergenic stem-loop mutation in the Bacillus subtilis ccpA-motPS operon increases motPS transcription and the MotPS contribution to motility. J Bacteriol. 2006 Apr.188(7):2701-2705. Pubmedid: 16547058. Pmcid: PMC1428412.
- Ito M, Hicks DB, Henkin TM, Guffanti AA, Powers BD, Zvi L, Uematsu K, Krulwich TA. MotPS is the stator-force generator for motility of alkaliphilic Bacillus, and its homologue is a second functional Mot in Bacillus subtilis. Mol Microbiol. 2004 Aug.53(4):1035-1049. Pubmedid: 15306009.