Notice to Our Patients Regarding a Stolen Briefcase. Learn More
Find a Doctor
Dr. Benjamin Powers is an Assistant Member in the Moffitt Cancer Center Department of Satellite and Community Oncology. Dr. Powers is based at Tampa General Hospital and Moffitt International Plaza (MIP). Dr. Powers earned his MD at Wayne State University School of Medicine and MS at Temple University, Department of Public Health. He completed a Residency in General Surgery at Temple University Hospital, where he also served as Chief Resident. Dr. Powers recently completed a Fellowship in Complex General Surgical Oncology at Moffitt Cancer Center. Dr. Powers’ clinical interests involve gastrointestinal malignancies, with a specific focus on gastric, hepatobiliary, and pancreatic tumors. His research focuses on improving clinical outcomes in oncology as it relates to 1) devising and implementing new methods to study cancer disparities and 2) constructing interventions to overcome these disparities.
Education & Training
- Surgical Oncology
- Moffitt Cancer Center - Complex General Surgical Oncology
- Temple University Hospital - General Surgery
- Wayne State University School of MedicineMD
- Turgeon MK, Gamboa AC, Lee RM, Zaidi MY, Kimbrough C, Grotz T, Fournier K, Powers B, Dineen S, Veerapong J, Clarke C, Mogal H, Patel SH, Lambert L, Ronnekleiv-Kelly S, Raoof M, Fackche N, Greer JB, Staley CA, Cloyd JM, Maithel SK, Winer JH. The Intersection of Age and Tumor Biology with Postoperative Outcomes in Patients After Cytoreductive Surgery and HIPEC. Ann Surg Oncol. 2020 May. Pubmedid: 32378087.
- Patel S, Suz P, Powers BD, Anaya DA. Epidural analgesia for hepatopancreatobiliary operations and postoperative urinary tract infections: an unrecognized association of "best-practices" and adverse outcomes. HPB (Oxford). 2020 May. Pubmedid: 32414659.
- Lee RM, Zaidi MY, Gamboa AC, Speegle S, Kimbrough CW, Cloyd JM, Leiting JL, Grotz TE, Lee AJ, Fournier KF, Powers BD, Dineen SP, Baumgartner J, Veerapong J, Clarke CN, Sussman JJ, Patel S, Hendrix RJ, Lambert LA, Vande Walle KA, Abbott DE, LaRocca CJ, Raoof M, Fackche N, Johnston FM, Staley CA, Maithel SK, Russell MC. What is the Optimal Preoperative Imaging Modality for Assessing Peritoneal Cancer Index? An Analysis From the United States HIPEC Collaborative. Clin Colorectal Cancer. 2020 Mar.19(1):e1-e7. Pubmedid: 31974019.
- Beal EW, Suarez-Kelly LP, Kimbrough CW, Johnston FM, Greer J, Abbott DE, Pokrzywa C, Raoof M, Lee B, Grotz TE, Leiting JL, Fournier K, Lee AJ, Dineen SP, Powers B, Veerapong J, Baumgartner JM, Clarke C, Mogal H, Russell MC, Zaidi MY, Patel SH, Dhar V, Lambert L, Hendrix RJ, Hays J, Abdel-Misih S, Cloyd JM. Impact of Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy on the Outcomes of Cytoreductive Surgery and Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy for Colorectal Peritoneal Metastases: A Multi-Institutional Retrospective Review. J Clin Med. 2020 Mar.9(3). Pubmedid: 32164300. Pmcid: PMC7141272.
- Fagenson AM, Powers BD, Zorbas KA, Karhadkar S, Karachristos A, Di Carlo A, Lau KN. Frailty Predicts Morbidity and Mortality After Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy for Acute Cholecystitis: An ACS-NSQIP Cohort Analysis. J Gastrointest Surg. 2020 Mar. Pubmedid: 32212087. Pmcid: PMC7222970.
- Eng OS, Blakely AM, Lafaro KJ, Fournier KF, Fackche NT, Johnston FM, Dineen S, Powers B, Hendrix R, Lambert LA, Ronnekleiv-Kelly S, Walle KV, Grotz TE, Leiting JL, Patel SH, Dhar VK, Baumgartner JM, Lowy AM, Clarke CN, Mogal H, Zaidi MY, Staley CA, Kimbrough C, Cloyd JM, Lee B, Raoof M. Institutional variation in recovery after cytoreductive surgery and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy: An opportunity for enhanced recovery pathways. J Surg Oncol. 2020 Jul. Pubmedid: 32627199.
- Maharaj K, Powers JJ, Achille A, Mediavilla-Varela M, Gamal W, Burger KL, Fonseca R, Jiang K, Miskin HP, Maryanski D, Monastyrskyi A, Duckett DR, Roush WR, Cleveland JL, Sahakian E, Pinilla-Ibarz J. The dual PI3Kδ/CK1ε inhibitor umbralisib exhibits unique immunomodulatory effects on CLL T cells. Blood Adv. 2020 Jul.4(13):3072-3084. Pubmedid: 32634240. Pmcid: PMC7362385.
- Kim JK, DePeralta DK, Ogami T, Denbo JW, Pimiento J, Hodul PJ, Malafa MP, Kim DW, Fleming JB, Powers BD. Cancer outcomes are independent of preoperative CA 19-9 in anatomically resectable pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma: A retrospective cohort analysis. J Surg Oncol. 2020 Jul. Pubmedid: 32673436.
- Gamboa AC, Lee RM, Turgeon MK, Zaidi MY, Kimbrough CW, Grotz TE, Leiting J, Fournier K, Lee AJ, Dineen SP, Powers BD, Veerapong J, Baumgartner JM, Clarke CN, Mogal H, Patel SH, Lee TC, Lambert LA, Hendrix RJ, Abbott DE, Pokrzywa C, Raoof M, Eng OS, Johnston FM, Greer J, Cloyd JM, Maithel SK, Staley CA. Implications of Postoperative Complications for Survival After Cytoreductive Surgery and HIPEC: A Multi-Institutional Analysis of the US HIPEC Collaborative. Ann Surg Oncol. 2020 Jul. Pubmedid: 32696303.
- Lee TC, Wima K, Sussman JJ, Ahmad SA, Cloyd JM, Ahmed A, Fournier K, Lee AJ, Dineen S, Powers B, Veerapong J, Baumgartner JM, Clarke C, Mogal H, Zaidi MY, Maithel SK, Leiting J, Grotz T, Lambert L, Hendrix RJ, Abbott DE, Pokrzywa C, Blakely AM, Lee B, Johnston FM, Greer J, Patel SH. Readmissions After Cytoreductive Surgery and Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy: a US HIPEC Collaborative Study. J Gastrointest Surg. 2020 Jan.24(1):165-176. Pubmedid: 31745888.
- DePeralta DK, Ogami T, Zhou JM, Schell MJ, Powers BD, Hodul PJ, Malafa MP, Fleming JB. Completion of adjuvant therapy in patients with resected pancreatic cancer. HPB (Oxford). 2020 Feb.22(2):241-248. Pubmedid: 31563326.
- Powers BD, Felder SI, Imanirad I, Dessureault S, Dineen SP. The Impact of Histologic Subtype on Receipt of Adjuvant Chemotherapy and Overall Survival in Stage III Colon Cancer: a Retrospective Cohort Analysis. J Gastrointest Cancer. 2020 Aug. Pubmedid: 32743731.
- Pointer DT, Roife D, Powers BD, Murimwa G, Elessawy S, Thompson ZJ, Schell MJ, Hodul PJ, Pimiento JM, Fleming JB, Malafa MP. Neutrophil to lymphocyte ratio, not platelet to lymphocyte or lymphocyte to monocyte ratio, is predictive of patient survival after resection of early-stage pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma. BMC Cancer. 2020 Aug.20(1):750. Pubmedid: 32782024. Pmcid: PMC7422564.
- Powers BD, Dineen SP. ASO Author Reflections: To Redo or Not to Redo, That is the Question: Assessing the Slings and Arrows of Repeat CRS/HIPEC in Patients with Recurrent or Progressive Peritoneal Carcinomatosis. Ann Surg Oncol. 2020 Apr. Pubmedid: 32318947.
- Powers BD, Felder S, Veerapong J, Baumgartner JM, Clarke C, Mogal H, Staley CA, Maithel SK, Patel S, Dhar V, Lambert L, Hendrix RJ, Abbott DE, Pokrzywa C, Raoof M, Lee B, Johnston FM, Greer J, Cloyd JM, Kimbrough C, Grotz T, Leiting J, Fournier K, Lee AJ, Imanirad I, Dessureault S, Dineen SP. Repeat Cytoreductive Surgery and Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy Is Not Associated with Prohibitive Complications: Results of a Multiinstitutional Retrospective Study. Ann Surg Oncol. 2020 Apr. Pubmedid: 32318945.
- Wiseman JT, Kimbrough C, Beal EW, Zaidi MY, Staley CA, Grotz T, Leiting J, Fournier K, Lee AJ, Dineen S, Powers B, Veerapong J, Baumgartner JM, Clarke C, Patel SH, Dhar V, Hendrix RJ, Lambert L, Abbott DE, Pokrzywa C, Raoof M, Lee B, Fackche N, Greer J, Pawlik TM, Abdel-Misih S, Cloyd JM. Predictors of Anastomotic Failure After Cytoreductive Surgery and Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy: Does Technique Matter?. Ann Surg Oncol. 2019 Oct.27(3):783-792. Pubmedid: 31659645.
- Powers BD, Rothermel LD, Fleming JB, Strosberg JR, Anaya DA. A Survival Analysis of Patients with Localized, Asymptomatic Pancreatic Neuroendocrine Tumors: No Surgical Survival Benefit when Examining Appropriately Selected Outcomes. J Gastrointest Surg. 2019 Nov. Pubmedid: 31754990.
- Permuth JB, Clark Daly A, Jeong D, Choi JW, Cameron ME, Chen DT, Teer JK, Barnett TE, Li J, Powers BD, Kumar NB, George TJ, Ali KN, Huynh T, Vyas S, Gwede CK, Simmons VN, Hodul PJ, Carballido EM, Judge AR, Fleming JB, Merchant N, Trevino JG. Racial and ethnic disparities in a state-wide registry of patients with pancreatic cancer and an exploratory investigation of cancer cachexia as a contributor to observed inequities. Cancer Med. 2019 Jun.8(6):3314-3324. Pubmedid: 31074202. Pmcid: PMC6558500.
- Gamboa AC, Zaidi MY, Lee RM, Speegle S, Switchenko JM, Lipscomb J, Cloyd JM, Ahmed A, Grotz T, Leiting J, Fournier K, Lee AJ, Dineen S, Powers BD, Lowy AM, Kotha NV, Clarke C, Gamblin TC, Patel SH, Lee TC, Lambert L, Hendrix RJ, Abbott DE, Vande Walle K, Lafaro K, Lee B, Johnston FM, Greer J, Russell MC, Staley CA, Maithel SK. Optimal Surveillance Frequency After CRS/HIPEC for Appendiceal and Colorectal Neoplasms: A Multi-institutional Analysis of the US HIPEC Collaborative. Ann Surg Oncol. 2019 Jun.27(1):134-146. Pubmedid: 31243668. Pmcid: PMC6925634.
- Powers BD, Fulp W, Dhahri A, DePeralta DK, Ogami T, Rothermel L, Permuth JB, Vadaparampil ST, Kim JK, Pimiento J, Hodul PJ, Malafa MP, Anaya DA, Fleming JB. The Impact of Socioeconomic Deprivation on Clinical Outcomes for Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma at a High-volume Cancer Center: A Retrospective Cohort Analysis. Ann Surg. 2019 Dec. Pubmedid: 31851004. Pmcid: PMC7272283.
- Sabesan A, Felder S, Feuerlein S, Lam C, McGettigan M, Powers BD, Dessureault S, Dineen SP. Preoperative Radiographic Assessment Predicts Incomplete Cytoreduction in Patients with Low Grade Mucinous Adenocarcinoma of the Appendix. Ann Surg Oncol. 2019 Aug.27(1):165-170. Pubmedid: 31388776.
- Powers B, Pal T, Laronga C. Considerations in Testing for Inherited Breast Cancer Predisposition in the Era of Personalized Medicine. Surg Oncol Clin N Am. 2018 Jan;27(1):1-22. Pubmedid: 29132555.
- Pitt HA, Tsypenyuk E, Freeman SL, Carson SR, Shinefeld JA, Hinkle SM, Powers BD, Goldberg AJ, DiSesa VJ, Kaiser LR. Transforming Patient Value: Comparison of Hospital, Surgical, and General Surgery Patients. J Am Coll Surg. 2016 Apr.222(4):568-575. Pubmedid: 26916131.
- Powers BD, Montes JA, Nguyen DC, Nick DA, Daly MP, Davey A, Willis AI. Demographic risk factors impacting timely radiation therapy completion after breast conserving surgery. Am J Surg. 2015 Nov.210(5):891-895. Pubmedid: 26282892.
- Boden G, Cheung P, Kresge K, Homko C, Powers B, Ferrer L. Insulin resistance is associated with diminished endoplasmic reticulum stress responses in adipose tissue of healthy and diabetic subjects. Diabetes. 2014 Sep.63(9):2977-2983. Pubmedid: 24740571. Pmcid: PMC4141374.
- Singla S, Papavasiliou P, Powers B, Gaughan J, von Mehren M, Watson JC, Farma JM. Challenges in the treatment of angiosarcoma: a single institution experience. Am J Surg. 2014 Aug.208(2):254-259. Pubmedid: 24811931.
- Taghavi S, Jayarajan SN, Powers BD, Davey A, Willis AI. Examining rectal carcinoids in the era of screening colonoscopy: a surveillance, epidemiology, and end results analysis. Dis Colon Rectum. 2013 Aug.56(8):952-959. Pubmedid: 23838863.
- Wei Y, Deikus G, Powers B, Shelden V, Krulwich TA, Bechhofer DH. Adaptive gene expression in Bacillus subtilis strains deleted for tetL. J Bacteriol. 2006 Oct.188(20):7090-7100. Pubmedid: 17015648. Pmcid: PMC1636236.
- Terahara N, Fujisawa M, Powers B, Henkin TM, Krulwich TA, Ito M. An intergenic stem-loop mutation in the Bacillus subtilis ccpA-motPS operon increases motPS transcription and the MotPS contribution to motility. J Bacteriol. 2006 Apr.188(7):2701-2705. Pubmedid: 16547058. Pmcid: PMC1428412.
- Ito M, Hicks DB, Henkin TM, Guffanti AA, Powers BD, Zvi L, Uematsu K, Krulwich TA. MotPS is the stator-force generator for motility of alkaliphilic Bacillus, and its homologue is a second functional Mot in Bacillus subtilis. Mol Microbiol. 2004 Aug.53(4):1035-1049. Pubmedid: 15306009.
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive
different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.Learn more about our patient comments
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.