Find a Doctor
Asha Ramsakal, DO, MBS, FACP
Chair, Internal Medicine
Specialty: Internal Medicine
Program: Internal & Hospital Medicine
Locations: Moffitt Cancer Center
Dr. Asha Ramsakal is the Chair of Internal Medicine and the Internal and Hospital Medicine Program at Moffitt Cancer Center. She also provides direct oversight of Internal Medicine Resident Education at Moffitt with an active didactic role and the goal of making board certified, competent, compassionate physicians. Dr. Ramsakal's clinical interests include the optimal management of medical comorbidities and treatment sequela in cancer patients by academic oncologic hospitalists. Previously, Dr. Ramsakal was Medical Director of the Baycare Medical Group East Region Hospitalist and Palliative Care Programs. While at Baycare, Dr. Ramsakal also served as Chief of Medicine at St. Joseph’s Hospital South in Riverview, and an Associate Professor at the University of South Florida Morsani College of Medicine. Dr. Ramsakal earned her DO at Nova-Southeastern University in Ft. Lauderdale before completing an internship at Suncoast Hospital in Largo, followed by an internal medicine residency at the University of South Florida College of Medicine in Tampa. She has instructed medical students, residents, and interns on the discipline of internal medicine and interdisciplinary oncology for more than a decade. Dr. Ramsakal has been nominated as one of America’s Top Physicians, and she is listed in America’s Registry of Outstanding Professionals as a Lifetime Member for Outstanding Contribution to Professionals and the Community. She received awards for her exemplary teaching from Moffitt in three consecutive years, and was named “Florida American College of Physicians Outstanding Teacher of the Year.” Additional attributes are the depth and breadth of her committee participation and leadership and her history of community outreach locally and abroad. Dr. Ramsakal dedicates time each year to provide voluntary medical services to underserved Honduran villages.
Education & Training
- Internal Medicine
- University of South Florida - Internal Medicine
- Nova-Southeastern University - DO
- Ramsakal A, Mangat L. Images in clinical medicine. Lingua villosa nigra. N Engl J Med. 2007 Dec;357(23):2388. Pubmedid: 18057341.
- Chacko B, Guerra L, Gross R, Holmstrom B, Ramsakal A, Ford W, Rodriguez L, Babalola A. In the Literature. The Hospitalist. 2007;11(8):67-68. Pubmedid: noPMID.
- Anoff D, Guerra L, Gross R, Holmstrom B, Ramsakal A. In the literature. The Hospitalist. 2006 Sep;10(9):48-52. Pubmedid: noPMID.
- Ramsakal A. Listeria infections in cancer patients. Infect Med. 2004;21(7):345-349.
- Ramsakal A, Lezama J, Adelman H. A potentially fatal effect of topical anesthesia. Hosp Pract (1995). 2001 Jun;36(6):13-14. Pubmedid: 11419532.
- Ramsakal A, Beaupre D, Williams M. Tumor lysis syndrome. In: Flanders S, Whitcomb W, Cohn S, Michota F, et al, eds. Comprehensive Hospital Medicine. Philadephia, PA: Elsevier; 2007;559-561.
- Ramsakal A, Patterson S. Elevated Intracraial Pressure. In: Williams M, Flanders S, Whitcomb W, Cohn S, et al, eds. Comprehensive Hospital Medicine. Phildaelphia, PA: Elsevier; 2007;555-556.
- Ramsakal A, Patterson S. Spinal cord compression. In: Williams M, Flanders S, Whitcomb W, Cohn S, et al, eds. Comprehensive Hospital Medicine. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier; 2007;557-558.
- Ramsakal A, Beaupre D. Hyperviscosity syndrome. In: Williams M, Flanders S, Whitcomb W, Cohn S, et al, eds. Comprehensive Hospital Medicine. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier; 2007;553-554.
- Ramsakal A, Griffith C. Inpatient antibiotics. In: Hoellein A, Feddock C, Harrell H, et al, eds. Hospital Medicine. NY, NY: Mc-Graw Hill; 2007;362-369.