Find a Doctor
Arnold Etame, MD, PhD
Locations: Moffitt Cancer Center
Cancer Focus: Brain Cancer , Glioblastoma , Meningioma , Spinal Tumor
Dr. Arnold Etame is a Neurological Surgeon and Scientist specializing in Neuro-Oncology at Moffitt Cancer Center, and Assistant Professor of Oncology at the University of South Florida, Morsani College of Medicine. He performs a substantial number of surgeries in eloquent and non-eloquent regions of the brain with image-guided stereotactic techniques entailing functional MRI and DTI tractography neuro-navigation. He also directs a very active awake-brain tumor resection program for patients with tumors close to critical areas for speech and movement. In collaboration with Moffitt’s Radiation Oncologists, he leads the stereotactic radiosurgery program for brain and spine metastatic tumors. His research focuses on enhanced delivery of targeted therapeutics across the blood-brain barrier for malignant and metastatic brain tumors using nanotechnology and focused ultrasound disruption of the blood-brain barrier. He is a principal investigator for clinical trial protocols in patients with malignant brain tumors. Dr. Etame received his BS degree in Chemistry Magna Cum Laude from the State University New York (SUNY) at New Paltz. He subsequently completed his MD degree with Distinction in Research from the University of Iowa College of Medicine where he was elected to the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society, and the Gold Humanism Medical Society. His neurosurgery specialization was completed at the University of Michigan. Under the mentorship of renowned neurosurgeon and scientist Dr. James Rutka, Dr. Etame was awarded a Neuro-Oncology Research Fellowship with the Labatt Brain Tumour Research Centre at the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto, Canada. During this time, Dr. Etame also pursued and completed his PhD in the Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology at the University of Toronto. His work focused on optimizing nanoparticle-based delivery strategies across the blood-brain barrier for subsequent targeting of invasive pathways in malignant gliomas. He has received numerous awards including the prestigious Wilder Penfield Fellowship Award from the Congress of Neurological Surgeons. He has authored several peer-reviewed publications and book chapters. Dr. Etame is a member of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons (AANS) and the Congress of Neurological Surgeons (CNS). Check out recent articles in OncLive:Neurosurgical Innovations Advance Safe Resection of Difficult Brain Tumors The Awake Craniotomy Presents Advantages in Resection of Eloquent Cortex Brain Tumors How I Treat Patients with Surgically Resectable Brain Cancers
Education & Training
- Neurological Surgery
- Labbatt Brain Tumour Centre, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto - Neurosurgery Oncology
- University of Michigan Medical Center - Neurosurgery
- University of Iowa College of Medicine(MD, - MD)
- Mills MN, Figura NB, Arrington JA, Yu HM, Etame AB, Vogelbaum MA, Soliman H, Czerniecki BJ, Forsyth PA, Han HS, Ahmed KA. Management of brain metastases in breast cancer: a review of current practices and emerging treatments. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2020 Feb.180(2):279-300. Pubmedid: 32030570.
- Figura NB, Rizk VT, Armaghani AJ, Arrington JA, Etame AB, Han HS, Czerniecki BJ, Forsyth PA, Ahmed KA. Breast leptomeningeal disease: a review of current practices and updates on management. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2019 Sep.177(2):277-294. Pubmedid: 31209686.
- Wu Q, Berglund AE, Wang D, MacAulay RJ, Mulé JJ, Etame AB. Paradoxical epigenetic regulation of XAF1 mediates plasticity towards adaptive resistance evolution in MGMT-methylated glioblastoma. Sci Rep. 2019 Oct.9(1):14072. Pubmedid: 31575897. Pmcid: PMC6773736.
- Perkins AR, Macaulay RJB, Bui MM, Bridge JA, Etame AB. A Frontal Dural-Based Lesion in a 63-Year Old Male. Brain Pathol. 2019 Mar.29(2):301-302. Pubmedid: 30821029.
- Figura NB, Rizk VT, Mohammadi H, Evernden B, Mokhtari S, Yu HM, Robinson TJ, Etame AB, Tran ND, Liu J, Washington I, Diaz R, Czerniecki BJ, Soliman H, Han HS, Sahebjam S, Forsyth PA, Ahmed KA. Clinical outcomes of breast leptomeningeal disease treated with intrathecal trastuzumab, intrathecal chemotherapy, or whole brain radiation therapy. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2019 Jun.175(3):781-788. Pubmedid: 30859348.
- Figura NB, Potluri TK, Mohammadi H, Oliver DE, Arrington JA, Robinson TJ, Etame AB, Tran ND, Liu JK, Soliman H, Forsyth PA, Sahebjam S, Yu HM, Han HS, Ahmed KA. CDK 4/6 inhibitors and stereotactic radiation in the management of hormone receptor positive breast cancer brain metastases. J Neurooncol. 2019 Aug.144(3):583-589. Pubmedid: 31399935.
- Liau LM, Ashkan K, Tran DD, Campian JL, Trusheim JE, Cobbs CS, Heth JA, Salacz M, Taylor S, D'Andre SD, Iwamoto FM, Dropcho EJ, Moshel YA, Walter KA, Pillainayagam CP, Aiken R, Chaudhary R, Goldlust SA, Bota DA, Duic P, Grewal J, Elinzano H, Toms SA, Lillehei KO, Mikkelsen T, Walpert T, Abram SR, Brenner AJ, Brem S, Ewend MG, Khagi S, Portnow J, Kim LJ, Loudon WG, Thompson RC, Avigan DE, Fink KL, Geoffroy FJ, Lindhorst S, Lutzky J, Sloan AE, Schackert G, Krex D, Meisel HJ, Wu J, Davis RP, Duma C, Etame AB, Mathieu D, Kesari S, Piccioni D, Westphal M, Baskin DS, New PZ, Lacroix M, May SA, Pluard TJ, Tse V, Green RM, Villano JL, Pearlman M, Petrecca K, Schulder M, Taylor LP, Maida AE, Prins RM, Cloughesy TF, Mulholland P, Bosch ML. First results on survival from a large Phase 3 clinical trial of an autologous dendritic cell vaccine in newly diagnosed glioblastoma. J Transl Med. 2018 May;16(1):142. Pubmedid: 29843811. Pmcid: PMC5975654.
- B Figura N, Long W, Yu M, Robinson TJ, Mokhtari S, Etame AB, Tran ND, Diaz R, Soliman H, S Han H, Sahebjam S, Forsyth PA, Ahmed KA. Intrathecal trastuzumab in the management of HER2+ breast leptomeningeal disease: a single institution experience. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2018 Jun;169(2):391-396. Pubmedid: 29392582.
- Liau LM, Ashkan K, Tran DD, Campian JL, Trusheim JE, Cobbs CS, Heth JA, Salacz M, Taylor S, D'Andre SD, Iwamoto FM, Dropcho EJ, Moshel YA, Walter KA, Pillainayagam CP, Aiken R, Chaudhary R, Goldlust SA, Bota DA, Duic P, Grewal J, Elinzano H, Toms SA, Lillehei KO, Mikkelsen T, Walbert T, Abram SR, Brenner AJ, Brem S, Ewend MG, Khagi S, Portnow J, Kim LJ, Loudon WG, Thompson RC, Avigan DE, Fink KL, Geoffroy FJ, Lindhorst S, Lutzky J, Sloan AE, Schackert G, Krex D, Meisel HJ, Wu J, Davis RP, Duma C, Etame AB, Mathieu D, Kesari S, Piccioni D, Westphal M, Baskin DS, New PZ, Lacroix M, May SA, Pluard TJ, Tse V, Green RM, Villano JL, Pearlman M, Petrecca K, Schulder M, Taylor LP, Maida AE, Prins RM, Cloughesy TF, Mulholland P, Bosch ML. Correction to: First results on survival from a large Phase 3 clinical trial of an autologous dendritic cell vaccine in newly diagnosed glioblastoma. J Transl Med. 2018 Jun.16(1):179. Pubmedid: 29958537. Pmcid: PMC6026340.
- Groshev A, Padalia D, Patel S, Garcia-Getting R, Sahebjam S, Forsyth PA, Vrionis FD, Etame AB. Clinical outcomes from maximum-safe resection of primary and metastatic brain tumors using awake craniotomy. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2017 Jun;157:25-30. Pubmedid: 28384595.
- Ahmed KA, Kim S, Arrington J, Naghavi AO, Dilling TJ, Creelan BC, Antonia SJ, Caudell JJ, Harrison LB, Sahebjam S, Gray JE, Etame AB, Johnstone PA, Yu M, Perez BA. Outcomes targeting the PD-1/PD-L1 axis in conjunction with stereotactic radiation for patients with non-small cell lung cancer brain metastases. J Neurooncol. 2017 Jun.133(2):331-338. Pubmedid: 28466250.
- Wang D, Berglund AE, Kenchappa RS, MacAulay RJ, Mulé JJ, Etame AB. BIRC3 is a biomarker of mesenchymal habitat of glioblastoma, and a mediator of survival adaptation in hypoxia-driven glioblastoma habitats. Sci Rep. 2017 Aug;7(1):9350. Pubmedid: 28839258. Pmcid: PMC5570925.
- Ordookhanian C, Kaloostian PE, Ghostine SS, Spiess PE, Etame AB. Management Strategies and Outcomes for VHL-related Craniospinal Hemangioblastomas. J Kidney Cancer VHL. 2017 Aug.4(3):37-44. Pubmedid: 28868236. Pmcid: PMC5573741.
- Fedorenko IV, Evernden B, Kenchappa RS, Sahebjam S, Ryzhova E, Puskas J, McIntosh L, Caceres G, Magliocco A, Etame A, Harbour JW, Smalley KS, Forsyth PA. A rare case of leptomeningeal carcinomatosis in a patient with uveal melanoma: case report and review of literature. Melanoma Res. 2016 Oct;26(5):481-486. Pubmedid: 27285292. Pmcid: PMC5502096.
- Echevarria M, Ahmed KA, Patel B, Abuodeh YA, Naghavi AO, Sarangkasiri S, Johnstone PA, Etame AB, Yu HM. Clinical Outcomes of Combined BRAF and MEK Inhibition With Stereotactic Radiation for BRAF Mutant Melanoma Brain Metastases. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2016 Oct;96(2S):E115-E116. Pubmedid: 27673816.
- Ahmed KA, Stallworth DG, Kim Y, Johnstone PA, Harrison LB, Caudell JJ, Yu HH, Etame AB, Weber JS, Gibney GT. Clinical outcomes of melanoma brain metastases treated with stereotactic radiation and anti-PD-1 therapy. Ann Oncol. 2016 Mar.27(3):434-441. Pubmedid: 26712903.
- Abuodeh Y, Ahmed KA, Naghavi AO, Venkat PS, Sarangkasiri S, Johnstone PA, Etame AB, Yu HM. Postoperative Stereotactic Radiosurgery Using 5-Gy × 5 Sessions in the Management of Brain Metastases. World Neurosurg. 2016 Jun;90:58-65. Pubmedid: 26921701.
- Wang D, Berglund A, Kenchappa RS, Forsyth PA, Mulé JJ, Etame AB. BIRC3 is a novel driver of therapeutic resistance in Glioblastoma. Sci Rep. 2016 Feb;6:21710. Pubmedid: 26888114. Pmcid: PMC4757860.
- Ahmed KA, Abuodeh YA, Echevarria MI, Arrington JA, Stallworth DG, Hogue C, Naghavi AO, Kim S, Kim Y, Patel BG, Sarangkasiri S, Johnstone PA, Sahebjam S, Khushalani NI, Forsyth PA, Harrison LB, Yu M, Etame AB, Caudell JJ. Clinical outcomes of melanoma brain metastases treated with stereotactic radiosurgery and anti-PD-1 therapy, anti-CTLA-4 therapy, BRAF/MEK inhibitors, BRAF inhibitor, or conventional chemotherapy. Ann Oncol. 2016 Dec.27(12):2288-2294. Pubmedid: 27637745.
- Ahmed KA, Sarangkasiri S, Chinnaiyan P, Sahebjam S, Yu HH, Etame AB, Rao NG. Outcomes Following Hypofractionated Stereotactic Radiotherapy in the Management of Brain Metastases. Am J Clin Oncol. 2016 Aug;39(4):379-383. Pubmedid: 24755663.
- Patel BG, Ahmed KA, Johnstone PA, Yu HM, Etame AB. Initial experience with combined BRAF and MEK inhibition with stereotactic radiosurgery for BRAF mutant melanoma brain metastases. Melanoma Res. 2016 Aug.26(4):382-386. Pubmedid: 26926151.
- Pisklakova A, McKenzie B, Zemp F, Lun X, Kenchappa RS, Etame AB, Rahman MM, Reilly K, Pilon-Thomas S, McFadden G, Kurz E, Forsyth PA. M011L-deficient oncolytic myxoma virus induces apoptosis in brain tumor-initiating cells and enhances survival in a novel immunocompetent mouse model of glioblastoma. Neurooncol. 2016 Aug.18(8):1088-1098. Pubmedid: 26962017. Pmcid: PMC4933479.
- Frakes JM, Figura ND, Ahmed KA, Juan TH, Patel N, Latifi K, Sarangkasiri S, Strom TJ, Chinnaiyan P, Rao NG, Etame AB. Potential role for LINAC-based stereotactic radiosurgery for the treatment of 5 or more radioresistant melanoma brain metastases. J Neurosurg. 2015 Nov;123(5):1261-1267. Pubmedid: 26140482.
- Ahmed KA, Freilich JM, Sloot S, Figura N, Gibney GT, Weber JS, Sarangkasiri S, Chinnaiyan P, Forsyth PA, Etame AB, Rao NG. LINAC-based stereotactic radiosurgery to the brain with concurrent vemurafenib for melanoma metastases. J Neurooncol. 2015 Mar;122(1):121-126. Pubmedid: 25519302.
- Niknafs YS, Wang AC, Than KD, Etame AB, Thompson BG, Sullivan SE. Hemorrhagic vestibular schwannoma: review of the literature. World Neurosurg. 2014 Nov;82(5):751-756. Pubmedid: 23454397.
- Ahmed KA, Freilich JM, Abuodeh Y, Figura N, Patel N, Sarangkasiri S, Chinnaiyan P, Yu HH, Etame AB, Rao NG. Fractionated stereotactic radiotherapy to the post-operative cavity for radioresistant and radiosensitive brain metastases. J Neurooncol. 2014 May;118(1):179-186. Pubmedid: 24604750.
- Diaz RJ, McVeigh PZ, O'Reilly MA, Burrell K, Bebenek M, Smith C, Etame A, Zadeh G, Hynynen K, Wilson BC, Rutka JT. Focused ultrasound delivery of Raman nanoparticles across the blood-brain barrier: potential for targeting experimental brain tumors. Nanomedicine. 2014 Jul;10(5):1075-1087. Pubmedid: 24374363. Pmcid: PMC4074278.
- Kaloostian PE, Yurter A, Etame AB, Vrionis FD, Sciubba DM, Gokaslan ZL. Palliative strategies for the management of primary and metastatic spinal tumors. Cancer Control. 2014 Apr;21(2):140-143. Pubmedid: 24667400.
- Kaloostian PE, Zadnik PL, Etame AB, Vrionis FD, Gokaslan ZL, Sciubba DM. Surgical management of primary and metastatic spinal tumors. Cancer Control. 2014 Apr;21(2):133-139. Pubmedid: 24667399.
- Etame AB, Bentley JN, Pandey AS. Acute expansion of an asymptomatic posterior communicating artery aneurysm resulting in oculomotor nerve palsy. BMJ Case Rep. 2013 Jun;2013. Pubmedid: 23761613. Pmcid: PMC3702954.
- Etame AB, Diaz RJ, O'Reilly MA, Smith CA, Mainprize TG, Hynynen K, Rutka JT. Enhanced delivery of gold nanoparticles with therapeutic potential into the brain using MRI-guided focused ultrasound. Nanomedicine. 2012 Oct;8(7):1133-1142. Pubmedid: 22349099. Pmcid: PMC4101537.
- Sagher O, Thawani JP, Etame AB, Gomez-Hassan DM. Seizure outcomes and mesial resection volumes following selective amygdalohippocampectomy and temporal lobectomy. Neurosurg Focus. 2012 Mar;32(3):E8. Pubmedid: 22380862.
- Etame AB, Diaz RJ, Smith CA, Mainprize TG, Hynynen K, Rutka JT. Focused ultrasound disruption of the blood-brain barrier: a new frontier for therapeutic delivery in molecular neurooncology. Neurosurg Focus. 2012 Jan;32(1):E3. Pubmedid: 22208896. Pmcid: PMC4106119.
- Etame AB, Fox WC, Sagher O. Osmotic diuresis paradoxically worsens brain shift after subdural grid placement. Acta Neurochir (Wien). 2011 Mar;153(3):633-637. Pubmedid: 21057826.
- Etame AB, Smith CA, Chan WC, Rutka JT. Design and potential application of PEGylated gold nanoparticles with size-dependent permeation through brain microvasculature. Nanomedicine. 2011 Dec;7(6):992-1000. Pubmedid: 21616168.
- Onvani S, Etame AB, Smith CA, Rutka JT. Genetics of medulloblastoma: clues for novel therapies. Expert Rev Neurother. 2010 May;10(5):811-823. Pubmedid: 20420498.
- Etame AB, Wang AC, Than KD, La Marca F, Park P. Outcomes after surgery for cervical spine deformity: review of the literature. Neurosurg Focus. 2010 Mar.28(3):E14. Pubmedid: 20192659.
- Etame AB, Wang AC, Than KD, Park P. Clinical and radiographic outcomes after minimally invasive transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion. SAS J. 2010;4(2):47-53. Pubmedid: 25802649. Pmcid: PMC4365612.
- Wang AC, Than KD, Etame AB, La Marca F, Park P. Impact of anesthesia on transcranial electric motor evoked potential monitoring during spine surgery: a review of the literature. Neurosurg Focus. 2009 Oct;27(4):E7. Pubmedid: 19795956.
- Sack JA, Etame AB, Shah GV, La Marca F, Park P. Management and outcomes of patients undergoing surgery for traumatic cervical fracture-subluxation associated with an asymptomatic vertebral artery injury. J Spinal Disord Tech. 2009 Apr;22(2):86-90. Pubmedid: 19342928.
- Than KD, Wang AC, Etame AB, La Marca F, Park P. Postoperative management of incidental durotomy in minimally invasive lumbar spinal surgery. Minim Invasive Neurosurg. 2008 Oct;51(5):263-266. Pubmedid: 18855289.
- Etame AB, Than KD, Wang AC, La Marca F, Park P. Surgical management of symptomatic cervical or cervicothoracic kyphosis due to ankylosing spondylitis. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2008 Jul;33(16):E559-E564. Pubmedid: 18628698.
- Sibenaller ZA, Etame AB, Ali MM, Barua M, Braun TA, Casavant TL, Ryken TC. Genetic characterization of commonly used glioma cell lines in the rat animal model system. Neurosurg Focus. 2005 Oct;19(4):E1. Pubmedid: 16241103.
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive
different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.Learn more about our patient comments
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.