Find a Doctor
Luis Pena, MD, FACG, AGAF
Locations: Moffitt Cancer Center
Dr. Peña’s clinical and research interests’ include the treatment for Barrett’s esophagus and early esophageal cancer using endoscopic mucosal resection (EMR) and mucosal ablation including radiofrequency ablation and cryoablation; endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) for biliary and pancreatic disorders including cancer, esophageal stenting and wireless capsule endoscopy for small bowel evaluation. Additional research interests include endoscopic outcomes and capsule endoscopy.
Education & Training
- Internal Medicine
- University of Kentucky - Gastroenterology
- University of Kentucky - Internal Medicine
- Francisco Marrouquin University(MD, - MD)
- Song E, Segarra D, Latifi K, Leuthold S, Belinc D, Pena L, Malafa M, Frakes JM, Hoffe SE. Recognition of Tumor Invasion of a Pancreatic Head Biliary Stent During Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy. Pract Radiat Oncol. 2019 May.9(3):132-135. Pubmedid: 30708132.
- Setia N, Lauwers GY, Peña LR. Unearthing the significance of buried intestinal metaplasia. Gastrointest Endosc. 2018 01;87(1):75-76. Pubmedid: 29241864.
- Saligram S, Lim D, Pena L, Friedman M, Harris C, Klapman J. Safety and feasibility of esophageal self- expandable metal stent placement without the aid of fluoroscopy. Dis Esophagus. 2017 Aug.30(8):1-6. Pubmedid: 28575246.
- Davis-Yadley AH, Neill KG, Malafa MP, Pena LR. Advances in the Endoscopic Diagnosis of Barrett Esophagus. Cancer Control. 2016 Jan;23(1):67-77. Pubmedid: 27009460.
- Sundar Alagusundaramoorthy S, Vilchez V, Zanni A, Sourianarayanane A, Maynard E, Shah M, Daily MF, Pena LR, Gedaly R. Role of transplantation in the treatment of benign solid tumors of the liver: a review of the United Network of Organ Sharing data set. JAMA Surg. 2015 Apr;150(4):337-342. Pubmedid: 25714928.
- Peña LR, Horn TL, Cross CB. Acute pancreatitis secondary to hemobilia after percutaneous liver biopsy. Therap Adv Gastroenterol. 2009 May;2(3):165-168. Pubmedid: 21180542. Pmcid: PMC3002516.
- Horn TL, Reynolds J, de Villiers W, Peña LR. Hepatitis C virus and inflammatory bowel disease. Digest Dis Sci. 2009 Jun;54(6):1171-1177. Pubmedid: 18975088.
- Pena LR, Cox T, Koch AG, Bosch A. Study comparing oesophageal capsule endoscopy versus EGD in the detection of varices. Dig Liver Dis. 2008 Mar;40(3):216-223. Pubmedid: 18082473.
- Knopp TC, Mardini HE, Peña LR. Wireless capsule endoscopy indication as a predictor of study quality. Digest Dis Sci. 2008 Jul;53(7):1898-1901. Pubmedid: 18034326.
- Peña LR, Mardini H, Nickl N. An instrument to predict endoscopy tolerance: a prospective randomized study. Digest Dis Sci. 2007 Oct;52(10):2888-2891. Pubmedid: 17394063.
- Sifford M, Koch A, Lee E, Peña LR. Abnormal liver tests as an initial presentation of celiac disease. Digest Dis Sci. 2007 Nov;52(11):3016-3018. Pubmedid: 17530403.
- Bosch A, Peña LR. The sphincter of oddi. Digest Dis Sci. 2007 May;52(5):1211-1218. Pubmedid: 17356921.
- Peña LR, Mardini HE, Nickl NJ. Development of an instrument to assess and predict satisfaction and poor tolerance among patients undergoing endoscopic procedures. Digest Dis Sci. 2005 Oct;50(10):1860-1871. Pubmedid: 16187188.
- Horn TL, Peña LR. Subcapsular hepatic hematoma after ERCP: case report and review. Gastrointest Endosc. 2004 Apr;59(4):594-596. Pubmedid: 15044910.
- Peña LR, Nand S, De Maria N, Van Thiel DH. Hepatitis C virus infection and lymphoproliferative disorders. Digest Dis Sci. 2000 Sep;45(9):1854-1860. Pubmedid: 11052331.
- Pena LR, Hill DB, McClain CJ. Treatment with glutathione precursor decreases cytokine activity. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 1999 Jan;23(1):1-6. Pubmedid: 9888410.
- Marsano LS, Peña LR. The interaction of alcoholic liver disease and hepatitis C. Hepatogastroenterology. 1998 Mar;45(20):331-339. Pubmedid: 9638402.
- Shiani A, Narayanan S, Pena L, Friedman M. The Role of Diagnosis and Treatment of Underlying Liver Disease for the Prognosis of Primary Liver Cancer. Cancer Control. 24(3):1073274817729240. Pubmedid: 28975833. Pmcid: PMC5937237.
- Lopez C, Abuel-Haija M, Pena L, Coppola D. Novel Germline Mutation Associated with Cowden Syndrome and Osteosarcoma. Cancer Genomics Proteomics. 15(2):115-120. Pubmedid: 29496690. Pmcid: PMC5892603.
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive
different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.Learn more about our patient comments
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.