Tampa Bay Technical Students to Get Dose of STEAM Careers at Moffitt Cancer Center
WHO: Moffitt Cancer Center, the only National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center based in Florida, will host Tampa Bay Technical High School students for a Moffitt Healthy KIDZ Program.
WHAT: The Moffitt Healthy KIDZ Program offers innovative health education for students from elementary school to college guided by the philosophy that prevention starts early. Moffitt Healthy KIDZ teaches students about the importance of healthy nutrition, exercise and the dangers of smoking.
Tampa Bay Tech students will experience STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Mathematics) careers firsthand with Moffitt Healthy KIDZ.
- Lee Green, Ph.D., vice president of Diversity, Public Relations and Strategic Communications, will kick off the event. Caring for his grandmother, who had both legs amputated from diabetes, motivated him to research health disparities.
- Students will get up close and personal with research labs, clinics, the Arts In Medicine studio and other areas of the cancer center.
- Did you know treating cancer is a lot like playing Angry Birds? Heiko Enderling, Ph.D., will show the link between math and cancer.
- Teamwork is critical at Moffitt. Ricardo Gonzalez, M.D., and physician assistant Nora Watson will tag team on how they work together in the Sarcoma Department.
- Tampa Bay Tech alumna and research coordinator Janelle Barrera-Ikan will bring it home and share how she transitioned from high school to a career at Moffitt.
Lunch will be provided.
WHEN: Friday, April 21, 9 a.m. - 2 p.m.
WHERE: Moffitt Cancer Center
Stabile Research Building, Ferman Conference Room
12902 Magnolia Drive, Tampa FL 33612
CONTACT: For information on the Healthy KIDZ Program, email Nikki.Inda@Moffitt.org.
About Moffitt Cancer Center
Moffitt is dedicated to one lifesaving mission: to contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer. The Tampa-based facility is one of only 47 National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Centers, a distinction that recognizes Moffitt’s excellence in research, clinical trials, prevention and cancer control. Moffitt is the No. 6 cancer hospital in the nation and has been listed in U.S. News & World Report as one of the “Best Hospitals” for cancer care since 1999. Moffitt devotes more than 2.5 million square feet to research and patient care. Moffitt’s expert nursing staff is recognized by the American Nurses Credentialing Center with Magnet® status, its highest distinction. With more than 5,200 team members, Moffitt has an economic impact in the state of $2.1 billion. For more information, call 1-888-MOFFITT (1-888-663-3488), visit MOFFITT.org, and follow the momentum on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.