WHO: Moffitt Cancer Center, the only National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center based in Florida, will host Carrollwood Day School’s fifth-grade class for a day filled with education, interaction and giving back.
WHAT: The Moffitt Healthy KIDZ Program offers innovative health education for students from elementary school to college guided by the philosophy that prevention starts early. Moffitt Healthy KIDZ teaches students about the importance of healthy nutrition, exercise and the dangers of smoking.
“These students are eager to learn more about the treatment of cancer and the science that is behind it,” said Nikki Ross-Inda, community relations coordinator at Moffitt. “We are thrilled to host them at Moffitt and look forward to a day full of learning.”
The youth will take part in a full agenda:
- Dr. John Kiluk and Dr. Marilin Rosa will discuss the latest advancements in breast cancer, as well as future STEM careers within the medical field that may contribute to cancer research, treatment and nutrition.
- Clinical dietitian Gina DeAngelo will discuss what is in the foods we eat and how they contribute, or don’t, to a healthy lifestyle.
- Will you take the Tobacco Free Pledge? The fifth-graders will be asked to pledge to a tobacco-free life.
- Mindful yoga: Learn to stretch, focus, breathe and relax!
- Give back activity: students will be empowered to create “positive posters” filled with words of encouragement that will be donated back to Moffitt’s breast cancer patients.
*Lunch will be provided.
WHEN: Monday, Oct. 2, 8:30 a.m. - 2 p.m.
WHERE: Moffitt Cancer Center
Stabile Research Building, David Murphey Conference Room
CONTACT: For information on the Healthy KIDZ Program, email Nikki.Inda@Moffitt.org.
About Moffitt Cancer Center Moffitt is dedicated to one lifesaving mission: to contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer. The Tampa-based facility is one of only 49 National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Centers, a distinction that recognizes Moffitt’s excellence in research, clinical trials, prevention and cancer control. Moffitt is listed as one of the top 10 cancer hospitals in the nation and has been listed in U.S. News & World Report as one of the “Best Hospitals” for cancer care since 1999. Moffitt devotes more than 2 million square feet to research and patient care. Moffitt’s expert nursing staff is recognized by the American Nurses Credentialing Center with Magnet® status, its highest distinction. With more than 5,700 team members, Moffitt has an economic impact in the state of $2.1 billion. For more information, call 1-888-MOFFITT (1-888-663-3488), visit MOFFITT.org, and follow the momentum on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.