WHO: Moffitt Cancer Center, the only Florida-based NCI-designated comprehensive cancer center.
WHAT: The Men’s Health Forum is a shared effort by Moffitt Cancer Center and nearly 80 community organizations that partner together to offer free health screenings, such as blood pressure, cholesterol, HIV/AIDS/STI, skin cancer and more assessments, to medically-underserved and uninsured men in Tampa Bay. In addition to screenings, the forum provides health education workshops, fitness demonstrations and hosts more than 50 community support services exhibitors.
Last year, the Men’s Health Forum earned Moffitt the Community Benefit Achievement Award from the Florida Hospital Association. Admission and parking are free. Breakfast and lunch are available while supplies last.
The Men’s Health Forum is a bilingual event held in English and Spanish with Haitian Creole speaking volunteers also available on site. Screenings available include cholesterol, blood pressure, body mass index, blood glucose, depression, memory, skin cancer, vision, Hepatitis A/B/C, substance abuse and HIV/AIDS/STI.
Numbers from the 2015 event:
- 471 men attended, 66% were uninsured or underinsured. That total is more than 100 more men than in 2013
- 161 men were educated on the importance of prostate testing and received vouchers for free prostate testing at Moffitt. 71% of those men completed the prostate cancer screening
- 169 men received skin cancer exams. 32% needed further follow-up exams by physicians
- 347 men were tested for diabetes. 8% were identified as at-risk for the disease
Title sponsors include Moffitt Cancer Center and The Wawa Foundation. Additional sponsors includeNew York Yankees, Brighthouse, HART, , I Quit with AHEC, Florida Blue, WMNF 88.5 FM, The Urban Cafe, Genesis 680 AM, and La Prensa Mexicana.
DATE/TIME: Saturday, March 19, 2015
8:00 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
- Registration & check in opens at 8:00 a.m.
- Free breakfast: 8:00 – 10:00 a.m. (men only)
- Free lunch: Noon – 1:00 p.m. (men only)
- Prostate Cancer Workshops: Every 30 minutes from 10:00 a.m. – noon
and 1:00 – 2:00 p.m. (offered in English and Spanish)
- Screenings: 9:00 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. Lines close at 2:00 p.m.
- Exhibits: 8:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
WHERE: University of South Florida
Marshall Student Center
USF Cedar Circle
Tampa, FL. 33620
Enter campus near East Fletcher Ave. and USF Palm Drive, between Bruce B. Downs Blvd. and N. 46th Street.
REGISTER: Visit www.MHFTampa.com or call 1-888-MOFFITT (1-888-663-3488). Pre-register through March 4th. Walk-ins accepted until 1:30 pm the day of the event
CONTACT: Nikki Ross-Inda at 813-325-9462 or Nikki.Inda@Moffitt.org.
About Moffitt Cancer Center
Located in Tampa, Moffitt is one of only 45 National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Centers, a distinction that recognizes Moffitt’s excellence in research, its contributions to clinical trials, prevention and cancer control. Moffitt is the top-ranked cancer hospital in Florida and has been listed in U.S. News & World Report as one of the “Best Hospitals” for cancer care since 1999. With more than 4,600 team members, Moffitt has an economic impact in the state of $1.9 billion. For more information, visit MOFFITT.org, and follow the Moffitt momentum on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.