WHO: Moffitt Cancer Center, the only Florida-based NCI-designated comprehensive cancer center.
WHAT: The Men’s Health Forum is a shared effort by Moffitt Cancer Center and nearly 80 community organizations that partner together to offer free health screenings, such as blood pressure, cholesterol, HIV/AIDS/STI, skin cancer and more assessments, to medically-underserved and uninsured men in the Tampa Bay area. In addition to screenings, the forum provides health education workshops, fitness demonstrations and hosts more than 50 community support services exhibitors.
This year Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Lovie Smith has signed on as Men’s Health Forum’s official spokesperson and will be at the event to meet attendees and talk about the importance of health screenings.
Admission and parking are free. Breakfast and lunch are available while supplies last.
The Men’s Health Forum is a bilingual event held in English and Spanish with Haitian Creole speaking volunteers also available on site.
Numbers from last year’s event:
- 549 men attended, 65% were uninsured
- 362 were screened for various health issues
- 39 % had pre-hypertension and 36% had high blood pressure
- 28% were identified as at-risk for diabetes.
- 149 received prostate exams
- 12 % had abnormal results
- 3 men were found to have early stages of prostate cancer
- 177 received skin cancer exams
- 38 % had suspicious skin findings
Sponsors include Moffitt Cancer Center, New York Yankees, Movember Stache League; HART, Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc., Genesis 680 AM, Tampa General Hospital, I Quit with AHEC, 5/3 Bank, Florida Blue and WMNF 88.5 FM
DATE/TIME: Saturday, March 7, 2015, 8:00 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
- Registration & check in opens at 8:00 a.m.
- Free breakfast: 8:00 – 10:00 a.m. (men only)
- Free lunch: Noon – 1:00 p.m. (men only)
- Prostate Cancer Workshops: Every 30 minutes from 10:00 a.m. – noon and 1:00 – 2:00 p.m. (offered in English and Spanish)
- Testing: 9:00 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. Testing lines close at 2:00 p.m.
- Exhibits: 8:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
WHERE: University of South Florida, Marshall Student Center, USF Cedar Circle, Tampa, FL. 33620
Enter campus near East Fletcher Ave. and USF Palm Drive, between Bruce B. Downs Blvd. and N. 46th Street.
REGISTER: Visit www.MHFTampa.com or call 1-888-MOFFITT (1-888-663-3488) and press 5.
CONTACT: Nikki Ross-Inda at 813-325-9462 or Nikki.Inda@Moffitt.org.
About Moffitt Cancer Center
Located in Tampa, Moffitt is one of only 41 National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Centers, a distinction that recognizes Moffitt’s excellence in research, its contributions to clinical trials, prevention and cancer control. Moffitt is the top-ranked cancer hospital in the Southeast and has been listed in U.S. News & World Report as one of the “Best Hospitals” for cancer care since 1999. With more than 4,500 employees, Moffitt has an economic impact in Florida of nearly $1.6 billion. For more information, visit MOFFITT.org, and follow the Moffitt momentum on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.