TAMPA, Fla. – The SunTrust Bank building in downtown Tampa will light up blue May 1-3 and May 6-8 in celebration of Make May Moffitt Month. Make May Moffitt Month is a monthlong endeavor to raise cancer awareness and funds for cancer research at Moffitt Cancer Center. In May, Moffitt will partner with businesses and individuals throughout the Tampa Bay area to offer promotions and cancer education.
“We are honored to participate with Moffitt during this week,” said Terri-lynn Mitchell, the district manager of Property Management at Stiles Property Management. The company also lit the building to honor Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month and to recognize ovarian cancer research efforts at Moffitt.
Other ways to Make May Moffitt Month:
- Throughout May – Buffalo Wild Wings in Brandon, Riverview, Fort Myers, Lakeland, Sarasota, North Port, and St. Petersburg will offer customers an opportunity to purchase a $5 Make May Moffitt Month bracelet and receive 10 percent off their bill each time they visit the store. All proceeds benefit Moffitt. Last year, the bracelet sales raised $10,800 for research efforts at Moffitt.
- Throughout May – Text MOFFITT to 50555 to make a $5 donation to Moffitt. Standard text message charges apply.
- May 1 – Tampa Mayor Bob Buckhorn will proclaim Make May Moffitt Month at 2:45 p.m. at City Hall. Make May Moffitt Month has received a mayoral proclamation since its inception in 2005.
- May 5 – Swim Across America is bringing its open-water swim to Florida’s Gulf Coast. Nearly 200 swimmers have signed up for the one-mile swim from Pier 60 in Clearwater. The one-mile swim begins at 8:35 a.m. and the half-mile swim begins at 8:45 a.m., with funds benefiting a melanoma project at Moffitt. Olympic Gold Medalist Brooke Bennett is chairing the fundraiser. This is an event for the entire family. For more information, visit www.SwimAcrossAmerica.org/TampaBay.
- May 12 – PNC Bank Miles for Moffitt, which will be at the USF Sun Dome, is anticipating 6,000 participants this year. The race begins at 7:30 a.m. The event — which includes a five-mile wheelchair, five-mile, 5K, one-mile and Kids Dash races — has raised more than $800,000 since 2006. Registration will close at midnight on May 6. Listen to Clear Channel Radio Stations U.S. 103.5 FM and Mix 100.7 FM the week of April 30 until May 4 for PNC Bank Miles for Moffitt contest giveaways both on the air and online. Listen to win prizes such as $100 PNC Visa Gift Cards, $100 Columbia Restaurant Gift Cards, Evan Longoria Tampa Bay Rays ticket, ball and batting practice package, luggage donated by AAA and more!
For more information about Make May Moffitt Month, visit www.InsideMoffitt.com/MakeMayMoffittMonth.
About Moffitt Cancer Center
Follow Moffitt on Facebook: www.facebook.com/MoffittCancerCenter
Follow Moffitt on Twitter: @MoffittNews
Follow Moffitt on YouTube: MoffittNews
Located in Tampa, Moffitt Cancer Center is a National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center, which recognizes Moffitt’s excellence in research and contributions to clinical trials, prevention and cancer control. Moffitt is also a member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, a prestigious alliance of the country’s leading cancer centers, and is listed in U.S. News & World Report as one of “America’s Best Hospitals” for cancer.