Tampa, FL —Moffitt Cancer Center will host a week of special events for cancer patients, families and caregivers in celebration of National Cancer Survivors Day on June 6. From June 7-11, come to Moffitt to participate in cooking demonstrations, view movie screenings, practice chair yoga, learn about cancer genetics and more.
Check out a special sneak preview of “Not As I Pictured It” and watch as Pulitzer Prize-winning photographer John Kaplan documents his captivating cancer journey. Hors d’oeuvres and networking will follow. It’s 6-8 p.m. June 10. R.S.V.P. to 1-888-MOFFITT. If you plan to attend and would like to share a photo from your cancer journey for a slideshow at the event, e-mail .jpg or .gif files to email@example.com.
«Mente sana, cuerpo sano: recetas para vivir mejor» will feature Fabiola Figueroa presenting on healthy eating and living well, followed by a cooking demonstration and tasting. This event, entirely in Spanish, will be from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. June 11. R.S.V.P. to (813) 745-8550.
Participate from home on the “Sex and Cancer: What Questions Do You Have?” teleconference at 6:30 p.m. June 9. Psychologist Kristine Donovan and Survivorship Clinic nurse practitioner Mary Ann Morgan will discuss the impact of cancer treatment on sexual intimacy. Callers will have the opportunity to ask questions. R.S.V.P. to 1-888-MOFFITT.
Moffitt’s Cancer Survivorship Week will feature:
- “Crazy Sexy Cancer” movie screening, 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Muriel Rothman Clinic Building, Owl’s Den (Gold Valet)
- Chair Yoga for Patients & Caregivers, 2:30-3:30 pm, main hospital lobby (Red Valet)**
- To Shoot or Not to Shoot: Adult Vaccinations (Shingles, H1N1, HPV, Pneumovax®), 9-10 a.m., Vincent A. Stabile Research Building, Ferman Family Conference Room (Gold Valet)*
- Lymphatic Drainage through Self-Massage, 10-11 a.m., Clinic Building, Owl’s Den
- “Crazy Sexy Cancer” movie screening, 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Clinic Building, Owl’s Den
- Café con leche y charla sobre linfedema, 10-11 a.m., Stabile Research Building, Ferman Family Conference Room* ***
- Healthy Eating: Creating an Action Plan, 2-3 p.m., Stabile Research Building, David Murphey Conference Room*
- “Crazy Sexy Cancer” movie screening, 2-3:30 p.m., American Cancer Society’s Benjamin Mendick Hope Lodge (next door to Moffitt), Conference Room
- Sex and Cancer: What Questions Do You Have? (Teleconference), 6:30-7:30 p.m.*
- Yoga for Patients & Caregivers, 9-11:30 a.m., Clinic Building lobby**
- Cancer Genetics: What Survivors Should Know, 12-1 p.m., Stabile Research Building, Ferman Family Conference Room*
- “Not As I Pictured It” movie screening and reception, 6-8 p.m., Stabile Research Building, first floor*
- Qigong for Health & Healing, 9-10 am, Clinic Building lobby**
- «Mente sana, cuerpo sano: recetas para vivir mejor» 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Stabile Research Building, David Murphey Conference Room* ***
- “Crazy Sexy Cancer”Movie Screening, 2-3:30 p.m., Hope Lodge, Conference Room
For a complete schedule of events, visit www.insidemoffitt.com. Seven Moffitt survivors and caregivers will be featured online beginning June 7, one per day.
Hands-on exhibits will include pet therapy, community art and the YMCA. Don’t miss the special giveaways and drawings.
*For events requiring R.S.V.P., call 1-888-MOFFITT or visit www.insidemoffitt.com/survivorshipweek. For Spanish events, call (813) 745-8550.
**Spanish interpreting provided.
About Moffitt Cancer Center
Located in Tampa, Florida, Moffitt Cancer Center is an NCI Comprehensive Cancer Center - a designation that recognizes Moffitt’s excellence in research and contributions to clinical trials, prevention and cancer control. Moffitt currently has 14 affiliates in Florida, one in Georgia and two in Puerto Rico. Additionally, Moffitt is a member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, a prestigious alliance of the country’s leading cancer centers, and is listed in U.S. News & World Report as one of “America’s Best Hospitals” for cancer. Moffitt’s sole mission is to contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer.