Tampa, FL (March 25, 2010) – Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Florida, Inc., has named Moffitt Cancer Center a Blue Distinction Center® for bone marrow and blood stem-cell transplants. Moffitt is the only facility in Florida to be recognized for this honor.
The Blue Distinction is a designated award distributed by Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies to dedicated medical facilities that have demonstrated expertise in delivering health care. Their goal is to help consumers find quality specialty care on a consistent basis, while enabling and encouraging health care professionals to improve the overall quality and delivery of care nationwide.
“The inclusion of the Moffitt Cancer Center Blood & Marrow Transplant Program among the Blue Distinction Centers for Transplants is a major recognition for the quality of care we provide to patients with blood disorders. Such inclusion opens Moffitt to all patients with blood disorders in need of a transplant who are covered by the Blue Cross networks in Florida, Puerto Rico and the rest of the United States,” said Dr. Claudio Anasetti, program leader of the Blood & Marrow Transplant Program at Moffitt.
The rigorous selection criteria used to evaluate facilities was established with expert physicians and medical organizations to ensure quality health care throughout the center. Moffitt has met the following defined clinical criteria in the autologous and allogeneic bone marrow transplant areas:
- An established transplant program, actively performing these procedures for the most recent 24-month period and performing a required minimum volume of transplant procedures
- Appropriate experience and credentialing of its transplant team
- An established acute care inpatient facility, including intensive care, emergency and a full range of services
- Full accreditation by a Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS)-deemed national accreditation organization
- Evaluation of patient and graft outcomes including sufficiently low graft failures and mortality rates
- A comprhensive quality management program
- Documented patient care and follow-up procedures at admission and discharge, including referral back to primary care physicians
The distinction has been in effect since March 1 providing more than 100 million Blue Cross Blue Shield members nationwide access to Moffitt’s preferred transplant center.
Note: Designation as Blue Distinction Center means these facilities’ overall experience and aggregate data met objective criteria established in collaboration with expert clinicians’ and leading professional organizations’ recommendations. Individual outcomes may vary. To find out which services are covered under your policy at any facilities, please call your local Blue Cross and/or Blue Shield Plan.
About Moffitt Cancer Center
Located in Tampa, Florida, Moffitt Cancer Center is an NCI Comprehensive Cancer Center - a designation that recognizes Moffitt’s excellence in research and contributions to clinical trials, prevention and cancer control. Moffitt currently has 15 affiliates in Florida, one in Georgia and two in Puerto Rico. Additionally, Moffitt is a member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, a prestigious alliance of the country’s leading cancer centers, and is listed in U.S. News & World Report as one of “America’s Best Hospitals” for cancer. Moffitt’s sole mission is to contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer.