A Reputable Thoracic Oncology Program near St. Petersburg, FL
At Moffitt Cancer Center, our Thoracic Oncology Program is dedicated to diagnosing and treating all types and stages of thoracic malignancies, including lung cancer, mesothelioma, Pancoast tumors and thymoma. As a high-volume cancer center, we have an unsurpassed level of experience treating even the most uncommon cancer types, and our facility is a top choice for patients from St. Petersburg, Florida, and other nearby areas.
No matter which type of cancer a patient has, Moffitt ensures that each patient receives an individualized treatment plan that’s tailored to his or her needs. This contributes a better quality of life for our patients and improved outcomes. In fact, our survival rates regularly exceed the national average, thanks to the level of expertise of the multispecialty medical team within our Thoracic Oncology Program. This team includes medical oncologists, thoracic surgeons, radiation oncologists, pulmonologists, radiologists and pathologists who collaborate as a tumor board and provide advanced cancer services, including:
- A screening program that uses low-dose CT scans and is based on National Comprehensive Cancer Network® (NCCN) guidelines
- Diagnostic services, including CT scans, PET scans, endoesophageal ultrasounds (EUS), electromagnetic navigation bronchoscopy (ENB) and biopsies
- Surgery, including robotic-assisted thoracic surgery and video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery (VATS)
- Systemic therapy, including oral chemotherapy drugs and novel combination chemotherapy
- Radiation therapy, including intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) and 4-D motion management and respiratory gating
- Innovative and targeted therapies, including immunotherapy, cancer vaccines and Sequenom biomarker testing
Moffitt is also at the forefront of cancer research and provides patients with unique opportunities to participate in clinical trials that provide access to the most innovative diagnostic and treatment options. Moffitt is the only National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center based in Florida, and has received an exclusive Specialized Program of Research Excellence (SPORE) grant from the NCI.
To refer a patient from St. Petersburg, FL, to Moffitt’s Thoracic Oncology Program, physicians can fill out an online form or contact a physician liaison. Moffitt maintains short referral times and typically responds to new referrals on the same business day.