The Thyroid Nodule Clinic at Moffitt is one of the only programs in the Southeast that has the expertise to offer a thorough assessment of thyroid nodules in fewer visits, which means faster diagnosis for patients.
- An efficient option for assessing patients with thyroid nodules
- A coordinated approach for completing assessment
Evaluating a thyroid nodule for cancer usually involves more than physical examination and blood tests alone. The process for patients — from referral to clinical assessment, imaging, biopsies and results — had typically involved multiple appointments often spread over four to six weeks. Moffitt’s accelerated nodule assessment streamlines measurement of serum thyrotropin, ultrasound, fine-needle aspiration, as well as integration of molecular studies, upper airway endoscopy, and surgical planning when needed, into fewer patient visits.
The most recent set of guidelines from the American Thyroid Association specifies that the evaluation of a thyroid nodule should include:
- Initial patient consultation
- Clinical examination to determine the number, size and location of nodules within the gland
- Measurement of serum thyrotropin (TSH) to exclude hyperthyroidism (blood testing)
- Ultrasound to assess the neck, nodule(s) for features of malignancy
- Fine-needle aspiration (FNA) ultrasound-guided biopsy - as indicated for nodules that meet the appropriate size and criteria
- Consideration of advanced molecular markers to improve the diagnostic yield for indeterminate cytology
Given the number of steps involved, the Moffitt endocrine tumor team has developed a coordinated, multidisciplinary approach to better serve the needs of these patients and offers the entire thyroid neoplasia assessment in a streamlined evaluation. The impact is significant considering half of the population will have a detectable thyroid nodule by age 60, according to the American Thyroid Association. The Thyroid Nodule Clinic team includes world-class endocrinologists, head and neck surgeons, with expert cytopathology. Results for discussion of treatment options are available in less than a week, and sometimes within 24-48 hours.
Moffitt is the only NCI-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center based in Florida. We offer research, diagnosis and treatment of thyroid cancer. To refer a patient to Moffitt's Thyroid Nodule Clinic, physicians can complete our convenient online form or contact a physician liaison for more information.