Cancer Biology Admissions
Applicants to the Cancer Biology Program must have at least a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited university with an extensive background in a field of biology or chemistry.
Undergraduate research experience will greatly improve chances of admission.
Students who seek admission to the Program are required to meet the minimal System-wide (State University System of Florida) and University-wide (University of South Florida) requirements. Applicants should have earned a minimum overall undergraduate grade point average of 3.0 (out of a possible 4.0) and must submit scores from the GRE General Test for full consideration. Transcripts for any advanced degree (Master's) must also be submitted.
International students must achieve a minimal TOEFL score of 550 (paper based), 213 (computer based) or 79 (Internet based); IELTS score must be 6.5 or higher; PTE-A score must be 53 or above. The test must be taken within two years of the desired term of entry.
Admission is competitive and we expect that the successful applicant will exceed these minimal criteria.
How to Apply
We accept students for Fall admission only. The priority deadline for funding consideration is December 1, 2019.
Applications must be received on or before the deadline to be considered.
Complete an on-line application:
Please comply with ALL university requirements; supporting documents should be uploaded to the on-line application and email addresses provided for three recommenders so the Admissions Office can send them a link to upload letters of recommendation. The letters are to be on official letterhead containing full contact information for the individual submitting the recommendation. Occasionally the email containing the link will go into the "Junk" folder so please make the recommenders aware that might happen.
NOTE: The college code is AS.
The major code are as follows:
Cancer Biology = CNB
The degree code is PH.D.
Required documents include:
1. A CV or resume (upload to application).
2. Self-Reported GPA worksheet (only for domestic students on a 4.0 GPA scale), available from Graduate School website under "Graduate Admission Forms" from the "Forms" drop down menu at the top of the Graduate School home page (upload to application).
3. A photocopy of GRE and TOEFL or IELTS score report, for departmental use (uploaded to application) or official scores can be reported directly to the University. Unsubstantiated scores will not be considered during the application review process.
4. One copy of transcripts, undergraduate (and Master's, if applicable). Photocopies are acceptable (uploaded to application). If admitted, an official transcript will need to be sent to the University.
5. Three (3) letters of recommendation from individuals familiar with your research, academic or professional performance and abilities. An email address for each recommender is to be provided in the on-line application so these individuals can be contacted by Graduate Admissions with a link to upload the letter. There is no standard form for the letter but official letterhead should be used containing full contact information for the recommender.
6. A statement of purpose (no more than 2 pages) that explains why you are interested in the program and how your education, training and research experience have prepared you for the Cancer Biology Program. This should be on plain white paper (no form) and is to be uploaded as well.
If sending official scores from ETS use the following codes:
GRE (5828-0000) and TOEFL (5828-99) scores
Questions can be directed to:
Cancer Biology Ph.D. Program
H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center, MRC-4 East
12902 USF Magnolia Drive
Tampa, Florida 33612
E-mail address: CancerPhD@moffitt.org