Make Sure You’re Covered
When can I enroll in health insurance?
You can enroll for health insurance during the Health Exchange Open Enrollment period or during your employer's open enrollment. Outside of open enrollment, you can apply for insurance during a Special Enrollment Period if you have experienced a qualifying life event. You can also apply for free or low-cost coverage through Medicaid any time of year.
Moffitt is Florida’s top choice to achieve the best outcomes for each patient.
When is Open Enrollment?
- The Health Exchange Open Enrollment period is Nov. 1 - Jan. 15, 2023
- Open enrollment periods through employers differ. Check with your employer for up-to-date details on your company's open enrollment
What is a Special Enrollment Period?
A time outside the yearly open enrollment when you can sign up for health insurance. You qualify for a Special Enrollment Period if you have had certain life events, including losing health coverage, moving, getting married, having a baby, or adopting a child.
Who is eligible for Medicaid?
Medicaid provides health coverage for some low-income people, families, and children, pregnant women, the elderly, and people with disabilities. Visit your state's Medicaid website for more information.
What do I do if I lose my insurance?
If you lose health insurance coverage, there are options to get you back on track. You have the opportunity to select from three main options for health insurance coverage: Affordable Care Act Plan, COBRA, or FL Medicaid Managed Care plan.
What should I consider when choosing a health insurance plan?
- Compare costs
- Coverage (i.e. virtual care appointments)
- Quality of care
- Best cancer outcomes
- Make sure your doctors and hospitals of choice are covered
- Is it part of the national network and managed care organizations?
- Is Moffitt Cancer Center part of the plan?
- Does the plan cover Specialty Pharmacy drugs?
- Does the plan cover an NCI-designated Cancer Center?
- Does the plan offer any special assistance as it relates to COVID-19 diagnosis?
- Ask the right questions
- Understand the insurance lingo
For more information about insurance coverage, please email FCUinsuranceNavigator@Moffitt.org or call 813-745-7300. Our Financial Clearance Specialist can confirm whether any plan you might be considering will cover Moffitt services and specialists.